Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Question FRUSTRATION! Expectations too high?! ARGH!

Obviously, it's so much easier to put on weight than to take it off, and I just started all of this on the 4th...but I do not know what to expect. I assumed that getting my butt in gear and making these huge lifestyle changes would jumpstart my system into freakishly shedding a crazy amount of weight in a short period of time. So far, I have lost a pound. I know that the recommended weight loss timeline is a pound to two pounds a week, so theoretically, I'm on track...I just am curious as to what I should be expecting? I think that I am incredibly frustrated with my weight in general and, therefore...impatient as all heck!

I am faithfully sticking to a 1495 calorie/day plan with cardio and weights.

I don't want to bum myself out. How did the process start for everyone else? What did you expect, and what actually happened?
IrishMomma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I understand your frustration, I always wanted to go to bed fat and wake up thin! It just doesn't work that way. Stick to what you are doing and it will come off.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/165/145

Height: 5'0

I know it can be frustrating to not see that huge drop at first but we all KNOW if you keep at the weight will come off Maybe you should put the scale away for another week or so, keep doing what youre doing, then pull it back out. Don't give up!!
Yelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #4  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

Baby steps! Rember 1 pound equals 3500 calories....plus if your not use to working out, and your gaining muscle, muscle weighs more then fat. Personally I have stopped weighing myself all the time. I have learned to trust how my clothing is fitting. I want it gone now, but know that it takes time, but with time, and alot of hard work, and eating healthy, it will all come off and stay off..if you lose weight to fast, its more likley to come back on..

hang in there and dont give up!!

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Some people lose a bunch of weight at first... some start right out with slow and steady weight loss... and some don't lose anything for a while.

I've started and restarted so many times... and even for me, it's different every time! In October I started working out and counting calories again, and I gained 5 lbs the first 2 weeks. Then after a few weeks of awful holiday eating this year, I've gotten back on track and dropped 2.8 pounds since Monday.

If you're working out a lot more than usual, your muscles might be retaining extra water -- muscles need more water than usual to repair the little damage you do while working out. This repairing is what makes your muscles grow, so it's good, even if it makes you hold onto a little more weight at first.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I understand your frustration, I always wanted to go to bed fat and wake up thin! It just doesn't work that way. Stick to what you are doing and it will come off.
I still cross my fingers that this will happen every night, it never does....

1-2lbs a week is exactly what you should be expecting, but not everyone losing weight that same way...for me I tend to lose 5 lbs one week, then gain 2 or 3 the next week then go down another 4 or 5 lbs the next week and so on...but it all averages out.

For now I would focus on making healthy choices and the weight will come off.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I'd heard of and read about so many people who "just stopped eating fast food and lost weight" and "just stopped drinking soda and lost weight". I wasn't expecting no 50lbs, but I figured I could drop 5 or so in the first couple of weeks just by cutting my eating and no more soda (I drank it A LOT). But, no such luck. I lost maybe 1-2 pounds in the first few weeks. AND I wasn't even working out yet! I was a little upset, but I just kept reminding myself - "What is not started today, is never finished tomorrow". As much as I just wanted to go back to what I had been doing to help me gain weight (on accident I should add), I had to remember why I wanted to do this. Now here I am 43 pounds down and my goal weight is closer than ever. I am SO glad I didn't give up at the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I've fallen off the wagon a few times since the beginning, but I ALWAYS get back on. You can do this!

Last edited by stargzr; 01-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Keep the faith!

When you change your lifestyle, it can be somewhat disappointing to not have those immediate results, especially when you are working so hard.

Everyone loses differently and weightloss is a non linear process. Maintenance is a non linear process. That's life, though. Some people don't see a loss for weeks and then BAM, they get a big "woosh". Some people are slow-and-stead-pound-a-week losers. I know it doesn't make you feel better, but try to give it more time. I bet you'll be thrilled when the scale catches on to all your hard work!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #9  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Keep plugging away, Ive gained and lost so many times but each time I am learning. I gained back 25 of the 35lbs I lost and really realized that its much harder to keep weight off then to lose it. Now Im counting calories and walking about 15miles each week. Try not to weigh in as often and I know it can be hard as I struggle with it as well but do not give up
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #10  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I feel ya. I had listed my weight but I'm not sure what it is since I haven't stepped on a scale in I don't know how long. I decided not to do the scale thing because it makes me paranoid. My goal is to go down a size about every month and a half.

My first three days were brutal but coming on this site reading the success stories kept me motivated. Now everything has regulated and it may take a little longer than a month and a half to go down a size but I will be persistent. Even if I have to read the same stories and see the same pictures.

We can do this if we maintain our commitment to ourselves.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #11  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I'm sorry you feel a little disappointed.

I think that having a positive attitude NO MATTER WHAT has been really key in the small success I've had so far (and hope to continuing having!). I set goals for myself, but I don't freak out if I don't always meet them. If I want to lose 5 pounds by a weigh in, for instance, and only lose 2, I give myself a pat on the back for those 2 the same I would for five.

And remember, there are lots of different ways to measure your progress and success...the way you feel, the way your body simply looks or the way your clothes fit, energy levels, different mentality towards eating or exercise, etc.

For me, I almost always lose a bunch of water weight right at the beginning and then I slow down, but not much. I've been lucky so far...losing 3 pounds or more a week. This last few weeks though I haven't been as track like I should have, so I don't expect that loss at my next weigh in.

Good luck, keep up the great work!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Some people also lose much slower than others- it's taken me a year to lose the amount I have- BUT it's still been lost! And I know I'll continue to go down
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for all of the support! It is good to know that my expectations were unrealistic. I see all of the awesome success stories on here and it gives me so much hope and motivation. I really think the ideas of putting away the scale for a week and focusing on the fit of my clothes/how I feel are great. I really need to develop something consistent with my workouts, too. I'm easing into it, so it's not as though I am able to do full blown Jillian Michaels crazytown at this juncture, but I work up and maintain an elevated heartrate for 45 minutes. Just gotta keep at it. I wish I could go home now and knock out a workout!!

Last edited by IrishMomma2008; 01-08-2010 at 01:57 PM.
IrishMomma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I just started at the end of last month and I didn't start to see any weight loss until about a week after I started.
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

The people who drop a ton of weight at first are just losing water weight. When they start diets low in carbohydrates or sodium that had previously caused their body to retain water, they get "miracles" within a week. That's why diets like South Beach have an initial no-carb phase--not because it's really necessary--but because it gets people hooked and psyched to keep going. But those phases aren't maintanable in the long run.

If you're doing things the proper way, eating the way you will for life and not just until your diet is "over," then you can expect what you've experienced so far. Just make sure to indulge yourself every once in a while so it doesn't seem like you're "depriving yourself" for nothing.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote