Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The biggest problem with the "calories in/calories out" philosophy is isn't the math - it's that people forget that the calories out is not a fixed number (nor is it within easy control).

If you take in approximately 1500 calories and burn approximately 2000 calories per day - you will lose (in theory) one pound.

But while you can decide to take in approximately 1500 calories, you cannot "decide" to burn the 2000 calories.

I do believe that there is math involved - and we know a lot about the in-coming math, but not a lot about the outgoing (and control even less).

I suspect that what and how we eat affects the calories burned part of the equation. I believe so, because I lose better on low-carb than the calories alone can account for (I lose more weight on 1800 calories of low-carb eating than on 1800 calories of high-carb eating). I also lose more when I break up those calories into 6 to 8 very small meals, as opposed to one very large meal.

Then there are the factors that don't change the math - but change the ability to control it. On very high carb eating, especially of refined carbs - I'm so darned ravenously hungry that staying within my calorie budget is nearly impossible AND miserable.

I also feel more energetic when I'm eating fairly low-carb (sugar and starch-wise), AND eating more fruits and veggies. If I reduce carbs TOO far, then weight loss also slows a bit, because I don't have the energy to exercise.

The math isn't nearly so simple, because of that darned "calories out" side of the equation that is affecte not only by the source of the calories in, but by many other factors as well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Some very interesting thoughts ... I know that for me when I did Calorie Counting I would lose and then gain, lose and then gain ... but it was a mental thing ... I would say it d/n matter what I eat as long as its within my calorie range ... I'll just all junk food etc ... then I would get where I couldn't take it anymore and I would eat a huge amount of food *sigh*

Anyways now that I'm doing No-S and I'm sure some days I go over my calorie amount I am losing weight steadily ... I think mentality plays into weight loss a lot as well
Ashbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #18  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The biggest problem with the "calories in/calories out" philosophy is isn't the math - it's that people forget that the calories out is not a fixed number (nor is it within easy control).

If you take in approximately 1500 calories and burn approximately 2000 calories per day - you will lose (in theory) one pound.

But while you can decide to take in approximately 1500 calories, you cannot "decide" to burn the 2000 calories.

I do believe that there is math involved - and we know a lot about the in-coming math, but not a lot about the outgoing (and control even less).

I suspect that what and how we eat affects the calories burned part of the equation. I believe so, because I lose better on low-carb than the calories alone can account for (I lose more weight on 1800 calories of low-carb eating than on 1800 calories of high-carb eating). I also lose more when I break up those calories into 6 to 8 very small meals, as opposed to one very large meal.

Then there are the factors that don't change the math - but change the ability to control it. On very high carb eating, especially of refined carbs - I'm so darned ravenously hungry that staying within my calorie budget is nearly impossible AND miserable.

I also feel more energetic when I'm eating fairly low-carb (sugar and starch-wise), AND eating more fruits and veggies. If I reduce carbs TOO far, then weight loss also slows a bit, because I don't have the energy to exercise.

The math isn't nearly so simple, because of that darned "calories out" side of the equation that is affecte not only by the source of the calories in, but by many other factors as well.
This!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #19  

I am completely in agreement with the OP. It is SO much more complex than calories in vs. calories out. Everybody has a different body, some bodies hold onto fat naturally more so than others. That doesn't mean don't TRY and don't live a healthy lifestyle, but it is unrealistic to assume that every body works the same and/or will have the same results.

Like the gluten intolerance, I am lactose/dairy intolerant and once I cut dairy out of my life, my weight loss(as well as my general well-being and energy improved dramatically. Every body is different, therefore every body manages calories differently.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #20  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

I think Fat Pants, Stella and Kaplods have hit it on the head. While it is Calories In vs Calories Out, we can only control so much of the equation because the science behind the calories out side of the equation is still in its infancy. And what we don't know or understand yet is why the type of calories different people consume in a day effect their calorie deficit differently.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
Hey, can we stop the hate on the science for the sake of some of us scientists? Not ALL science says its simply calorie in vs calorie out. A lot of things I've read stress the importance of nutrition, good food vs junk food, etc.

Its not as simple as calorie in vs calorie out, if it was that simple we'd all be our goal weight without any ups and downs. Its many factors, metabolism, sodium, gluten, etc, and no one (not even science) has figured it out. I could reduce my calories all I want, but unless I exercise, my metabolism just STOPS and I'll gain weight.

I think that a lot of these things have to do with genetics - I'm not saying there's an "obesity" gene, I'm saying that some people are prone to gain weight when they eat certain foods, and some aren't. I'm Italian - carbs were never a problem for me (I actually really can't stand pasta) but I do best and feel better when I'm on somewhat of a Mediterranean diet - lots of fresh veggies, olive oil, lean protein (but very little of it) - is this because my family is from the Mediterranean? Who knows. Something I wish someone would look into.

I think that a combination of science and possibly some anthropology could figure that out, but stop hating on science
Ahh Stella I dont think anyone meant to hate on scientist
Its just that like you said its not as simple as one single thing and it would be nice if society would recognize that
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #22  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Society, as a whole, sucks. One of my ex roommates used to say to me "well if you want to lose weight, why don't you just eat less." Because that's no the answer, you obnoxious moron...He wasn't big on "tact."

But yes, I agree that conception society puts out there of "fat people just eat too much" is untrue and highly annoying. If it was as simple as "eat less, lose weight" 1/3 of the US wouldn't be obese.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #23  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. Right on!
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote