Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #1  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Quitting Smoking

Hi Everyone,

I have recently quit smoking. This coming Tuesday will be 2 weeks and I have noticed a MAJOR jump in my wanting to snack. Part of it is boredom from my lack of smoking habit so I feel like I should be doing something which in turn I find myself opening and closing the refrigerator door 50 times. I have started chewing sugar free gum as that seems to help the fixation a bit.

Any suggestions from those of you dieting that have quit smoking?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

U being mindful of it is the first step. I wasn't even thinking about my weight when I stopped smoking one year, three months and fifteen days ago. That is how I got out of control with my weight. Just remember, nicotine does make ur metabolism faster so u will need to up the ante on exercise. However, u are already doing my #1 tip-sugar free gum. Second of all, as soon as ur done eating a meal get busy. After supper I like to get completly out of the house and go for a walk. Good Luck, u can do this!!!!!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I have no tips for you, as I am about to be in the same boat as you. I have 1 pack of cigarettes left, then I am quitting. I am SCARED as heck. Mostly of weight gain. Thanks for the sugar-free gum tip.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #4  

Jokan -- Thanks so much I need some kind of hobby... which should actually be in the form of working out. HAHA

Luv - I've never been a big gum chewer but it's helped tremendously. I don't know how you're planning on quitting. I tried Chantix and had SERIOUS rage issues. It was like an out of body experience. I would flip out and after my episode be like "where the HECK did that come from?!" I have heard other people that have been okay with it and had lots of success. This time I'm doing the patch which has been wonderful. I don't really have a whole lot of "nic fits." My biggest problem has been the feeling of "missing" something that I'm "supposed" to be doing.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 97/78/65 - 214/172/143

Height: 168cm - 5'6

ah me too! I have been cutting down slowly, which is probably not the best way to quit, but I'm scared my snacking will get out of control.
I do feel like I'm missing something without smoking - I get kind of lonely without it. Does that sound strange? Lonely and bored.
I'm thinking about getting one of those inhaler thingys, as chewing gum makes me feel queasy.
It's nice to know people are going through this too - I feel like smoking is a big part of my weight gain over time, it contributed to my inactivity.
merose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #6  

Merose -- It doesn't sound strange... I know exactly what you mean. I've def changed up some habits. They say if you have a cup of coffee on the way to work and you smoke, wait until you get to work to have your coffee. Things like that. I think that's why I open and shut the fridge so many times. Like something magical will appear if I keep opening it. I def know a pack of smokes is NOT going to magically appear. I have a treadmill in my garage, I should probably just go jump on that when I get that way for 10-15 minutes to get my mind off of it.

For those of you those of you that decide to quit -- we should start a support thread on here so we can all check in.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #7  

well i'm definitely in for that I think I'm going to need all the help I can get...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #8  
I will do this.

Yup. October 1st will be 10 months smoke free for me and I managed to lose weight and quit cold turkey.

The biggest thing: Water. Flush all those toxins out. Go sit in a steam room or a steamy shower. Drink lots of water. Your lungs and throat will love you.

The next: Working out. Keep moving. It will make you feel good and once you've worked out you will feel a lot better and less likely to snack

Also: Sucking on cinnamon sticks really help. Since they are shaped like a smoke they give that hand to mouth action and they are also spicy (and zero calories...and smoke free) also sugar free candies help too.

And another thing: When I quit smoking I quit doing a few things that made me what to smoke. The biggest? Diet coke. Every. time. I had a diet coke I had a smoke....so I quit drinking diet coke/all soda. I wasn't about to give up coffee but diet coke was my biggest trigger for smoking. I also avoided going out to the bars for a at least a month cause I ALWAYS smoked awhile drinking and my favorite bar has a smoking patio. Now, I never sit outside at night.

Lonely and bored is totally normal. Quitting smoking for me was like loosing a friend - and I needed something else to replace it. For me, music worked, cleaning, finding new recipes and trying them. It's amazing how much more time you have on your hands when you don't smoke and MONEY.

It can be done! You all can do this!!!!!

*loves*

Last edited by Taylor86; 09-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Great advice Taylor! I'm still smoking and I'm at that point where I really want to give up. I know it would make working out a lot easier, but I'm also afraid of snacking and putting all my good work to waste.

At the moment, if I feel like having a snack, I'll just go for a ciggie! But what you said about diet coke is SO TRUE, I'm the same and I think diet coke is as addictive as the cigarettes.

I have a vague goal of wanting to give up by Christmas, but I'm thinking I should just do it. Cold Turkey, and be done with it.
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #10  

well, I totally just put off having my first cigarette for the day until AFTER I went for a run - the whole time before my run I was thinking I would have one the moment I got back. But when I did get home I didn't feel like it, and when I finally had one an hour or so later it wasn't as satisfying as the first one of the day normally is for me.
Good, yes?
Taylor86, you're so right about the diet coke - that is what did it for me this morning. I need to think water, not soda.
I think I'm going to set myself little non-smoking tasks for the next few weeks - like cleaning, uni applications and handwashing etc. All the little things that I think I never have time to do.
Good ideas everyone!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #11  

YOU GO!!!! That's one way to do it. My mom said one of her friends quit years ago because she would tell herself "after I do the laundry" and once that was done it was "after I wash the dishes and then it would be "in an hour I can have one" and she'd just keep pushing it back. GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

I quit smoking this summer. I have moments where I miss it lately, just for the want of something to do with my hands, etc... But otherwise, I am so glad! I smell wonderful, don't have to take breaks from life, and am so much healthier.

I went on the patch for 1 3/4 boxes (2 months, maybe), and it really helped because I was able to break the habit, the oral fixation, and the feeling of the quick cigarette high. When I went off, it really wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I was already on a weight loss program, so I substituted exercise for a high and was already watching what I eat.

You guys can really do it- I was always worried about gaining, so I didn't want to quit. But if you are already thinking about what you eat and what you weigh, you won't gain and will probably still lose. Good luck! Consider trying the patch for a month, it was really helpful for me.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #13  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Good for you all to quit! I smoked for about 10 years, and when I met my husband, he was not feeling it. So I HAD to stop. Very rarely will I have one if we are out with friends drinking (the two just go together for me). But i just stopped. Finished the last pack I had and never bought another. That was 3.5 years ago.

You guys can do it!! You already know how to watch what you eat, just fill in those smokes with an apple, or some candy or gum. The cinnamon stick is a good idea too.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #14  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2''

:bump:

I just quit smoking 10/21/09 for the 6th time this year. I am on the patch this time. I cannot quit cold turkey, I get soooo stinkin' crabby I can't manage myself. I feel a little more snacky but you know what? Not losing some weight is better than a black lung! I try chewing gum.

Good luck to all the new non smokers and those who are thinking of quitting!!!
thelittleflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #15  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

I have anxiety...just reading this makes me panic. I quit for almost 3 years a few years ago and started again when i was back in school. I validate it as its the only vice i have especially if im being good with food etc. Knowing that one day i have to say ill never do it again scares me! When i quit before i would have smoking dreams. grr i dont wanna think about, but i want to start jogging and i know my body needs it. I just love smoking. its hard to explain to people that dont but i do.
srr728 is offline   Reply With Quote