Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #1  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Default Too Much Cardio?

So, I've been reading online a lot lately that too much cardio isn't good for you.

And Im ALWAYS on my treadmill. I HATE strength workouts. I think I can do a few ab workouts, but I hate them. HATE HATE HATE.

am i doing it wrong by sticking mainly with cardio?
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/155/135

Height: 5'9"

I will say that I instantly see more results when I add some sort of strength training. I believe this is primarily because your body burns more calories as you build up more lean muscle, which you are most likely to accomplish through strength training. Maybe you should try a different strength workout. I recently started using a Fluidity Bar (weird thing one of my friends got off of an infomercial), and I can totally feel it, AND it is much different from other strength workouts I have tried. Just a suggestion, and its not that I think that the cardio isn't good for you, its more that I think there is a definite benefit to adding strength training.
BebeFeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #3  
Courtney

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/154

Height: 5'6 Age: 29

I don't think so... my dietitian told me the cardio is the best thing I can do, and that I should up my cardio and back off from the weights.
cormandy62442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I only started strength training when I was about 20-30 from goal. I have heard conflicting messages but honestly, don't worry about the details right now. If you like the cardio on the treadmill and it's working for you--stick with it. DON'T bog yourself down wondering if you should be doing something else. Now is the time to swim to shore--not to wonder if you are doing the backstroke properly! If you are staying afloat--well, 'nuff said!!!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #5  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I think a good combination of cardio and weights will give you the best results. I cant see cardio being horrible for you unless you're undereating and working out way too hard which gets your heart rate up extremely too high. In which case you'll have a heart attack or something.

Good luck! =)
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #6  

I used to hate strength workouts too. I could do cardio all day long but I hated even picking up a lb weight. I hit a major plateau so I sucked it up and started lifting heavy weights. I saw results IMMEDIATELY. I dropped a few lbs but visually I can see that my muscles are so much more defined and I'm much happier with how I look. I actually enjoy the strength workouts now, but it's probably because of the results I've seen. I definitely recommend it, even if it's just once or twice a week.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

The whole point of cardio is moving to get your heart rate up for a certain period of time. If your particular workout is higher impact, say running or step for example, and you're sore the next day, you might not want to do those kind of exercises every day. But if you mix in low impact stuff that's easier on your joints and muscles, it might not be as much a big deal to do it every day.

I do cardio every day myself, and what works for me is to find something I can do that gets my heartrate in the target zone (for me its the elliptical) and doesn't require so much work of my muscles that I hurt the next day. I save the "feel the burn" moments for my strength training workouts, which I don't ever do the same type of two days in a row.
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Now is the time to swim to shore--not to wonder if you are doing the backstroke properly! If you are staying afloat--well, 'nuff said!!!
Nice!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

It depends on your body type. If you have a body type like mine then strength training does little for you because your muscles were not "designed" to get stronger than there current state.

I agree with the others, if cardio is working for you why change.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 10-13-2009 at 06:21 AM.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #10  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

thanks for all the input!! It was really helpful!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Too much cardio is NOT bad for you - its great for your heart and getting your cardiovascular system in great shape. As for weight loss, yeah, you need a combo, but if cardio's working for you right now, stick to it
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #12  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I only started strength training when I was about 20-30 from goal. I have heard conflicting messages but honestly, don't worry about the details right now. If you like the cardio on the treadmill and it's working for you--stick with it. DON'T bog yourself down wondering if you should be doing something else. Now is the time to swim to shore--not to wonder if you are doing the backstroke properly! If you are staying afloat--well, 'nuff said!!!
What she said. Do the exercise that you are willing to do (and even look forward to), and add on other types when you're ready because you're craving something new or hit a plateau. Personally, I do no strength training yet. Any body movement I'm doing with this size body now automatically is "working with weights".
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/168/135

Thumbs up Cardio +

I think cardio is the best way to go. esp in the begining.. i am the same way.. i hate strength training... and cardio is a great way to slim down.. eventually we do have to throw the strength training in though... unfortunately
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
I think cardio is the best way to go. esp in the begining.. i am the same way.. i hate strength training... and cardio is a great way to slim down.. eventually we do have to throw the strength training in though... unfortunately
Not true about HAVING to throw in cardio. I lost 80lbs and I've maintained since 2003 and never done any strength training. Not everybody has to do strength training.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 10-13-2009 at 10:52 PM.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #15  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It would be extremely hard to get in too much. Think of all the marathon runners and triathletes that train for hours a day. They are fit. I think what people mean about throwing in strength training is that you're going to boost your metabolism more by gaining lean mass, so if there does come a time you have a hard time losing w/ cardio alone it's something to think about. Until then do what you're most likely to do!

I do at least 2 hours a day myself. Bike, Swim and Running.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote