Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #1  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Those last 10-15 lbs....

Anyone else getting close to goal and trying to figure out how to make it those last few yards?

I'm going to step up my exercise!

What are you doing?
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #2  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5"6

I started to really watch what I eat... I don't obsess over calories and restrict everything but I do like to see what I can substitute or cut out without missing...in my morning coffee.. do I really need two creamers? Can I just drink water with lemon instead of Propel? I'm hoping that if I make small adjustments that I will see more progress with my exercise.
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #3  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I'm readjusting my goal, lol. Seriously, the last few lbs just won't stay off, and I don't know what to do. I keep getting within one lb and then bouncing back up 4 or 5lbs, in spite of being OP. I feel like if I up my exercise/cut my intake, those 5lbs will come back on as soon as I start maintenance again, so I'm kind of close enough to say screw it and deal with being between 135-140.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2

Well I have shortened my exercise program, no longer than 60 minutes (40 intense cardio and 20 strength training). I am really watching what I eat but I must tell you, the last few pound take forever to come off, just stick to the plan and you will see results...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #5  
[url=http://www.TickerFac

S/C/G: 168/130/121

Height: 5'4"

I've been finding the last few pounds very hard to shift. Just totally hit a plateau at 61kg. But what I found helped get me off that was doing zig-zagging. I guess maybe it just changed things up for me. I've also started trying to do more resistance-based exercises than cardio.

There's info on zig-zagging in the diet thread if you're interested.
miss may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #6  

Holding steady for now, as I am losing ~1/2 pound per week at this point and as much as I want to get to goal already, I don't want to change what's obviously working until it stops working. So, watching what I eat, which is mostly intuitive at this point as I haven't much counted calories in ages, and keeping up with some regular exercise and activities. I may have to add more exercise as I get to those last few. I may end up readjusting my goal, but wont know until I get there.

I have 2 actual "workouts" per week right now, and if I can reach my goal on this exercise level, I know I can stick with it indefinitely, with plenty of room to increase if necessary. Otherwise, being active in general is my focus. Slacking off is the worst
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #7  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I have 13 pounds to go. I currently do cardio (only) at the gym 4 times per week for 50 min. on 3 days and for 30 min. on one day. This Friday I'm going to start the 30 Day Shred and hope to 1) drop the weight a bit faster than I am now (which is at a snail's pace) and/or 2) tone up since I haven't done weight training for three months.
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #8  
this one's for life

S/C/G: 141/139/120

I was on a plateau for weeks, and was starting to get really frustrated because I work out really hard everyday and eat a very healthy diet.

So I decided to start doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) and the scale is moving! veeeery slowly, but it's moving!!!

the only thing is.. I HATE doing HIIT... but i keep asking myself "Do you want to keep stepping on the scale every morning and seeing the same freakin' number?" i wish someone could make me love it...

I think the last few pounds are a true test of patience!
chickennugget126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #9  
There Is No Wagon

chicken- what intervals do you do?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

arghh, these last few pounds are killing me i swear!

i am training for a triathlon these days and work my *** off and still can't seem to drop this last 5 kgs! ive tried eating less, eating more, eating maintenance and i still cant budge them!

i know i will be better at my tri if i lose it but i just cant. ha
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5'3

You guys should check out the Featherweights forum! Everyone there is dealing with exactly these issues.
kiakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #12  
this one's for life

forestroad - Running HIIT - sprint, recovery jog/walk, sprint, repeat.

I don't time myself, I just sprint my butt off for what feels like forever (but probably only like, 10 or 15 seconds at the MOST, usually less), then recover jog until I can catch my breath and do it again. I will do this probably 6 - 10 times a session, depending on my energy level. Most "plans" I've found say to sprint (all out, 100% max speed) for 30 seconds, then rest for 90, or something along those lines, but there is NO WAY I can sprint for that long.

It suuuuucks but it works...

kiakaha - thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #13  
There Is No Wagon

Thanks, chicken. Once you've done 6-10 sets, do you keep jogging to get more cardio, or do you call it quits? How long is your average treadmill session? I usually workout for about an hour so if it only took say 20 minutes to do the HIIT, I'd feel really nervous about stopping at that point, but I only work out 5 days a week so I could add it on my off days. I'd like to increase my speed running, as well, and that's probably the way to do it.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #14  
this one's for life

forestroad - well, first of all, try a session of sprinting HIIT. It may only be 20 minutes long (if I can even go that long), but it is an A$$-WHOOPING.

The best place to do it for me is about a 20 minute run away, by this boardwalk-type place, so sometimes I'll jog there, do my HIIT, then jog home (very sloooowly). Other times I'll bike there, do my HIIT, then bike back, to conserve my energy so I can give it my all.

And the best part is, unlike an hour spent on the treadmill, the fat-burning continues long after the workout is done. Your body is desperately trying to recover and because of the intensity of the workout, grabbing carb calories isn't enough, so when you're lounging around the rest of the day, your body is using fat to replenish fuel. (Don't take my word for it, there's plenty of info online that explains it better)

Sure, try it on your off-days. It's probably best to rest for a day or two afterwards, anyway. It'll help with speed, for sure, and also with endurance. Your body will be able to use oxygen more efficiently when you're doing your long runs.

I vary with treadmill times. Sometimes it's a 30 minute fast run, sometimes it's an hour. I also do weight-training every other day, so I'll hop on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes as a warm-up, then spend an hour or so grunting my way around the weights.

I do love to do long runs, especially outside on a nice fall day, so I do those whenever I feel like it. The HIIT, apparently, makes it so that even on those runs, my body will start to use fat as fuel first. It claims to raise your resting metabolic rate, and actually change your body, at cell-level, so you can burn fat more efficiently.

Try it, let me know what you think!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #15  
There Is No Wagon

Thanks chicken! I have done a few HIIT workouts but not enough to notice results. Good to know they still work even if you do some low intensity cardio like biking in the same workout. Ironically my resting metabolic rate is through the roof...I had it tested and apparently I'm a fat-burning machine with a bmr of 1620 (at 5'5"/140lbs); I guess I just waaaaay overcompensate with the food :chagrin: