Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Default How do you deal with freak cravings?

You know those crazy-strong cravings that come out of the blue and drive you NUTS...how do you guys get through them?
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

*That* kind I think is thwarted best by avoidance. Leave the place, start an activity that keeps you from going on a drive-thru run, destroying the food or giving it to someone else to finish, stuff like that.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Tell it to "go away!!" inside your head of course...don't want people to think you're going nutso..do something to distract yourself....come to 3FC website...call someone..anything! If you find yourself craving something sometimes I will just make a healthy version of it or eat something to replace it. Grapes, apples and peanut butter I find are great for sweet cravings. If I crave pizza I will make veggie/cheese pizzas on these healthy multigrain hamburger buns I buy. If I crave a burger I will grill a small chicken breast and use it on the burgers.

Good luck!!!!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #4  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

This weekend I realllllly wanted an iced chai from starbucks. Normally I get the venti iced chai with soy. Instead I looked at their nutritional info and got a small iced chai with non fat milk. I'll admit, it wasn't the same, but it was better for me and I got over it.

Try to replace with healthier options, drink some water, eat something healthy instead... or even tell yourself you can have it later and keep putting it off.

Sometimes you just have to give in. I know it sounds weird but I will obsess over certain things only because I "can't" have them. Sometimes its okay to have them in small portions on rare occasion like a treat... but be careful of this causing a trigger to over indulge or fall off the wagon.

GOOD LUCK!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #5  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5"6

I try to avoid being around certain foods and smells that make me crave it when I can but when I just can't avoid food... (like when a co-worker hands it to me) I try to make myself think it's nasty.. or I'll put a napkin in it or on it..... or if I'm given dessert at a sit down dinner I'll put salt on it...
ChristineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #6  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I don't trust myself around bad foods. I seriously have no willpower, and I know it.

Out of sight out of mind. I don't keep any bad snacks in my apartment. I crave ice cream and such all the time but I don't feel like getting dressed and going out to get it, so over time the craving just goes away.

and if IM at the store, or work, I don't carry any money with me. OR I only bring enough to get what I need.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

I've been writing in a journal. I write how greasy, gross and disappointed in myself I feel after I've given in to cravings. I've lost count of the amount of times I've written something like "that burger/pizza/chocolate just wasn't worth it. I feel terrible".

I also write in there how great I feel when I've stuck to plan and avoided temptation. Then I find myself writing stuff like "I am INVINCIBLE, I am so proud I didn't give in. It feels great to be in control!" You know when you get that high, write it down so you remember how it feels!

So now when I have that irrational "must have that food NOW" craving, I read over my other entries and see that even if I have it, that brief moment of satisfaction when I stuff it in my face is not worth the guilt and disappointment that stays with me for hours or days afterwards.
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Good advice so far, and I was also going to say try finding a healthy sub for whatever you are craving.

Exercise daily or if you have already, just do about 10-15 minutes of something, usually after working out I don't want to undo my hard work and I'm more likely to stay on plan.

and you might of heard this line alot- and when you are craving something take a few minutes to *really* think it through and you just have to ask yourself "what do you want more? the food you are craving or to be thin and have a healthier and happier life?"

I think sometimes we find it easier to just give in to our cravings because it's instant gratification without any immediate consequences. if eating that pizza or whatever you are craving caused an immediate 10 pound gain we wouldn't eat it.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote