Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #16  

Saffytaffy, I also agree with a lot of your points. I definitely only go for things on sale and its better with a coupon. I'm also a nursing student- 4th year BSN program. One in a while I indulge at Trader Joe's but most of their stuff is decently priced.

I do some light cooking but my mom freezes food that she cooks during the week for me. I'd bring the dishes and always have white rice at hand. I use that for dinner and use cute bento boxes to pack my lunch. I agree with every one else...once you get into it, packing lunch becomes kind of fun and it makes you more likely to stick to the plan because you put the extra effort in. It's hard to watch your friends eat the fast food sometimes...but I'm getting over it. Uni gym is the best...I've got free group exercise classes galore. This time around I'm trying a little of everything. Last year nursing drove me nuts so I didn't exercise as much as I would have liked. This year I'm committed to my plan
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #17  
sugar is the devil

Saffytaffy: What city do you live in? I'm also in a nursing program (4th year) at UBC-O!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #18  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

I personally didn't find it hard to eat healthy on campus. If you think there is a lot of places to eat on campus just wait until you get into the real world, Taco Bell, Burger King, and Starbucks is every where not just your campus. It actually gets much harder after college because in college at least you have campus employees and restaurants, like the cafe, who try to encourage you to eat healthy. There are no restaurants in the real world who will try to encourage you to eat healthy like on campus. The time to change is now! Good luck!
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 162.6/155.4/145

Height: 5'2"

Great points guys! I am in the BSN program here on Vancouver Island!
Saffytaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I started my weight loss in my first year of college last March. I was home for the summer but now I'm back at school. I lost the first 20 or so pounds at school and have lost another 10 pounds at school this semester (the rest was over the summer) so it's definitely possible. You really have to indentify what is causing you the problems, I think.
Me.. I was going to the caf twice a day usually, and I'd end getting maybe one or two desserts EVERY DAY just becaues I could. I was eating several entrees and in general just really pigging out. On top of that I would get a smoothie in the early afternoons BEFORE lunch too, EVERY DAY, and I'd often stop at Taco Bell. I'd drink a coke or sometimes even two EVERY night.
Notice those EVERY's. Those are the real problems. I think college can cause problems because for the first time everything is available to you, and it can be hard to resist. My all-you-can-eat caf had desserts, so why COULDN'T I have them every day? So I did.
But that's what caused me to gain 30 pounds in just a couple of months, so it definitely caught up to me.
NOOOOOOWWWWWWWW............
I still eat in the caf twice a day, but I get dessert there once a week at most, and outside of that just have a little bit of frozen yogurt one to two times a week. I still get smoothies, but twice a week, and make sure to eat less the rest of the day to make up for it. I still drink too, but now it's water.....
You see, I really didn't give up that much, really. I tried to make healthier choices, but I still have dessert and things like that. You can still have dessert and fast food, but just remember not EVERY DAY.
That's the rule I live by now. EVERY DAY. Normal people DON'T eat like that every day, and if I do, I'll be fat. I need to remember what a treat is and what is okay to be eating on a daily basis. Soon you learn to tune out all the unhealthy foods and just focus on your routine, and then it's not really that hard.
GOOD LUCK! You can do it!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote