Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237.8/237.8/160

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Brand new and already discouraged!!!

Okay- I have never done a weight loss forum before or anything like it- so I figured I would try it out. I'm trying to lose 70lbs, and I just started a week ago. I'm watching my calories and drinking lots of water. I weighed myself in this morning, and I'm COMPLETELY discouraged! I gained a pound!!! How did I gain a pound- when I have only been having 1800 calories a day, no more than that and watching every little thing I put in my mouth?!! I felt like I was doing so good- then I get on the scale and I gain a pound?? I'm about to throw in the towel! I am so discouraged! Any suggestions anyone?? I need help!
Tiffany82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do not give up ! Have you been eating food with a lot of salt ? Sodium is notorius for causing us to retain water . Do not get discouraged, continue eating properly and exercising would help. Do not weigh for another week, it is normal for our weight to fluctuate a little. If you weigh less often you will not see the fluctuations.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #3  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Tiffany,

On my first week, I ate around 1500 calories and was walking 2-3 miles every night. And I didn't lose an ounce! Then the second week, I lost 2 pounds. It just takes a little time for your body to adjust.

Just stick to it and it'll happen!
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/234.5/130

Hello...Looking at your weight, I'm almost where you are. My story started at 310. Have you looked into different "lifestyle changes" to some people known as diets. I've tried diet pills many years ago, lost the weight and then it came back plus more after stopping the diet pill. I've also tried adkins, and it works but I got tired of meat and salad all the time, I missed my fruit. August 2008 my boyfriend's sister K and a doctor Dr. M, I work with (I'm the ER nurse, you'd think I know how to diet and drop pounds) showed me how weight watchers works. I didn't weigh the first month because I was on medical leave away from work and I couldn't make myself buy a scale. So when I got back to work and weighed, I was 20 pounds less. Weight watchers counts points, the less fat, the less calories, and the more fiber, the better. There are also weight watchers programs online and in the community. Weight watchers didn't teach me how to lose weight, it taught me how to eat healthy and also taught me portion control. (I even considered joining Overeaters anonymous, everything I read, it all pertained to me. ) I had to find something that taught me how to eat. WW did it for me. hugs for your soul
ernurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Are you tracking your sodium, and if so, how does it compare to what you ate before? Have you been sick recently? More stressed than usual? Sleep deprived? Are you *regular*? Is it almost *that* time of the month? Have you recently started or changed an exercise routine?

There are lots of things that can make the scale fluctuate, and almost all of them are due to water or waste, not fat. I think you just need to keep up the good work -- if you continue to not lose for a few more weeks, then there might be something you need to change.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm with ernurse - but also, it DOES take your body a while to adjust to a lifestyle change - your body may be just like WHOA WHAT'S GOING on. Keep on going, don't give up
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/239/170ish

Height: 5'7"

Don't get discouraged! Like everyone else said, your body will fluctuate. Sodium makes you retain fluids. Stress will keep your body from working efficiently enough to burn calories for a weight loss.

Have you been working out too, or just trying to lose weight through your diet? I have 89lbs left to lose, so I train like I'm going to the Olympics. When I don't eat enough protein, my body thinks it's starving and goes into conservation mode. If you're working out, maybe consider drinking a protein shake after a hard work out, and make sure you're eating lean meats (like turkey or chicken) paired with complex carbs (like whole wheat pasta).
Etudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #8  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Don't beat yourself up, you have to stay positive! It's completely natural to have a 1-2lb water weight fluctuation! One of my friends' doctors told her that she has a 5lb weight fluctuation :c So stay positive!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Try not to be discouraged! No matter what the scale says you've still made the awesome decision to get healthy. That is a major achievement in itself! Be proud of that!

Boy I wish I could snap my fingers and be 10 pounds from my goal weight. I feel like because I've been so good for two weeks, I deserve to be at my goal NOW. But damn I know I'm in for the long haul.

I've been looking at other members progress photos and I think to myself - look how well they have done, and they weren't just working hard for a week. They have been working hard for a while, so that's what we've got to do too!
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Don't be discouraged. Like others have said, so much plays into weight loss. It will start to come off. Just be patient, keep making good choices, and it will come off. Good luck!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote