Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #1  

Unhappy Withdrawals

Tuesday I made the decision to cut out sweets and things like fast food. I have done pretty well, but I didn't realize that doing this includes having withdrawals. Of course I am always hungry, but I am moody, tired all the time, have a headache, and a woozy feeling at times.

I've read up on this a little bit and found that it is possible. You can be addicted to sugar and carbohydrates like others are to cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs. Of course the symptoms aren't as bad, but they are definatley there.

Has anyone else experienced this?
laurenac81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I totally have. It was serious hardcore withdrawls like you're saying. Though I am prone to headaches and migraines already. I stopped drinking soda and eating fast food at the same time. I was cranky! I had migraines, I wanted fast food or soda... but at the same time I reminded myself that it was my body telling me that all that soda, all that fast food did this to me. The healthy stuff I had switched over to eating wasn't causing it. That alone was enough to keep me away from soda to this day. Fast food I have been able to have every once in a while, but I keep that at a super minimum compared to what I used to eat.
You WILL get past this withdrawl period... as long as you stay away from it.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #3  

I'm having a super hard time right now. I just want to go and eat something, but I am staying strong. I never had a problem with not drinking soda, but cutting out all of the crap is what is getting me.

Congrats to you on the permanent stoppage of the soda (I'm sorry I'm saying wierd things. I just don't feel like thinking lol).
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #4  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I was never big on fast food.. but sugary things.. YES!!! I was definitely addicted and I would never be satisfied with one serving of anything sweet, I had to have more..
Well I cut out sugar totally, except for honey and fruits, which really is helpful to stabilizes blood sugar levels.. I had major headaches, light-headedness, and moodiness at first, but a spoonful and honey and tea helped me out a lot!!

I tried have a piece of chocolate (my downfall) a few days ago and it was just waaay too sweet.. but later on, (Idk why, I guess because I still believed that I loved chocolate) I kinda forced myself to eat a piece and after a while, I felt my cravings coming back even if it wasn't satisfying.. if that makes any sense. So I stopped and drank tons of water.. I don't think I can go back to eating the way I used to. I don't mind light ice cream, but nowadays, I prefer making treats myself and controlling what goes in.. too much sugar and I feel absolutely sick.
It's good though, but now that you mention it.. it does remind me of a drug addiction.. some drug addicts go through withdrawal on purpose so their threshold is lowered b/c their addiction has gotten too expensive (psychology class told me this lol). - now that my tolerance for sweets is so low, I'm much more satisfied with fruit or lighter sweets.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

AAA! You can definately be addicted to fast food, and especially sugar!! I've cut it out from my diet too and its so hard! I find myself rationalizing just a little bite of something. But I don't think I can go back to that lifestyle, since a little always leads to a lot.

What helps me are eating cherries, berries, apple butter, bananas, etc. I know it's not the same thing, but it keeps the edge off.

It doesn't make sense to me that after going only a couple hours without food we would experience serious low blood sugar, I mean humans are supposed to be able to go longer than a couple hours without eating!! Since cutting out sugar (and a LOT of bread/pasta/etc) I find I don't really get to a stage where I'm STARVING for something and go crazy.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #6  

It's good to get all of your feedback. I will keep your food ideas in mind and hopefully it will help get me through all this. To think about not wanting sweets seems impossible, but I know it is possible. It's just getting there haha!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

As a former drug addict.... I'll tell ya that cold turkey is NEVER easy.

However.... unlike with drugs, you MIGHT be able to ween off easier and thus not get all the physical craziness. You don't want to find yourself passed out in a street accidentally or something. And, like someone said above... natural sugars will keep you up there!

I literally used to grimace with distaste when I'd think of eating 3 servings of fruit a day, didn't think I'd be able to do it... but now that I do... I've gotten so used to my sugar coming from fruit that anything else is good, but way sweeter than I remembered! I even look forward to my fruit servings now!

I feel like such a healthier person..... its so awesome!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I'm really craving rich foods. Cheesy things - I have a real problem with that.

I just fit some fetucinne alfredo into my plan for tomorrow, but now that I've had a controlled amount of cream cheese, that urge is seriously lessened. Fewf!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/125

Height: 5'1

You know, it's weird. This is something I can normally relate to but on my current diet, I'm coping pretty well...But, then again, if something fits realistically into my daily calories I don't stop myself from eating it. Fast food, of course, is out of the question since the calorie amounts are insane...but since I eat pretty tasty things anyway, I don't find myself craving it. Plus, I know that I can get something from a fast food restaurant on my cheat days if I really wanted to.

Do you use fitday? You may also be feeling sick because you aren't getting enough of a certain nutrient, enough protein, etc. Are you drinking enough water? The most you can do to ease cravings is to eat health foods that 'simulate' the bad ones, and hope to get it out of your system asap.
napalmtree is offline   Reply With Quote