Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default i eat my feelings. i have a lot of feelings.

ok so i'm on day 2 of the south beach diet and not being able to eat breads or sweets on a day like today (the thursday from ****), i am really realizing why i'm overweight. i really do emotionally eat.

i can't stop thinking about all the foods i WOULD be eating if i hadn't started this diet right now. i know the cravings will pass and i'll feel awesome for conquering them, but right now all i can think about is cookies and pudding and bad-for-me foods.

what do YOU do when you get the "i need to eat my feelings" feeling?!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

I don't have any advice because I'm struggling with the same issues. Work is super stressful right now and I'm trying not to drown myself in a gallon of ice cream I know is in the freezer at home.

Hope it gets a little easier for you.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

The first few days of Phase 1 are tough! I'm pretty sure I was on the verge of tears some times. Journaling helped me a lot because it reminded me of what I'm working toward. Also I journaled about how strong I felt making it through each day; it helps. Another suggestion would be to go for a walk or get outdoors and do something fun.

Good luck!
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #4  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

yoga. when i need to eat my feelings, i do yoga. there are lots of free short videos (i get mine from exercisetv) that are about 10 minutes long so it's long enough that you can relax, but not long enough to feel like a workout. after that, i pop a piece of gum and go for a walk listening to music i love. get the endorphins going to de-stress and elevate your mood.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Ahaha I know how you feel, especially with giving up sugar! What helps me is I think if sugar/carbs have such control over me, then it is truly worth trying to conquer.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #6  
Heck Yes!

S/C/G: 235/231/165

Height: 6'0

I did South Beach a few years ago and I HATED it! Actually I did it with 4 other people and they were miserable too. I don't want to discourage you but I just wanted to let you know that its pretty normal to feel terrible when you're on that diet. We all lost a lot of weight, but I don't plan on going back any time soon.

On a side note, it is good that its making you think about how you used to eat. It makes me think America needs an entire makeover with food. We each such crap. Well we (as in you and I) don't anymore!
yesimhappilymarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

I know exactly what you mean! everytime I'm feeling anything...I just eat. It's weird and I hate it. It's something emotional, psychological in our brains that we have to reprogram. I wish I knew how and I wish it were easy
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I've had to overcome some emotional and anxiety problems in order to stop eating through them. This has meant changing jobs, and just getting out of the house while I have a craving, drinking a ton of water, having a fruit often helps too. Frozen grapes instead of ice cream, for example.

Because I like sweets, I have to factor them in increments so I don't get cravings. Unlimited fruits, dark chocolate every other day or so, sweet low fat salad dressing all contribute to a lack of cravings, since I'm getting enough. I also stopped using sweeteners and diet soda, which I realised gave me cravings. (I drink coffee black now O.o)

South beach would just kill me, lol. I just fit everything into a 'moderation' plan.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #9  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

yeah i have done SB before, i'm really just doing the first 2 weeks again- i have a really sensitive stomach so it's actually pretty close to how i was eating regularly, just minus all the cookies and pretzels and crap i was eating as snacks.
thanks girls
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #10  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE SB!! and yes it is hard at first but it totally teaches you how many unneccessary carbs you were actually eating before. Whenever I have the munchies I totally eat string cheese or almonds as a snack. If I have a sweet tooth I use splenda as a substitute for regular sugar
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote