Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default life without a scale?

i'm on vacation this week and couldn't fit my scale in my suitcase. i was planning on picking up a cheap one just so i can be sure i don't gain too much weight, but i'm actually kind of enjoying not checking my weight daily. i didn't realize how much i relied on my scale to determine how good of a day i was going to have. without looking at it everyday, i know i have to work hard EVERYDAY and there's no "well i'm down 2 lbs from yesterday so i can have that extra large piece of cheesecake with caramel and whipped cream," i go for the fruit dish everyday, and enjoy it! my real goal is to get healthy, and this may just be the way to do it! has anyone else had a similar situation? how do i keep myself from being a slave to the scale once i return home?
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #2  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

i put my scale in my closet for weeks at a time. sometimes it's a good experience (usually it is!) and sometimes it's not so good and i go up a couple pounds getting too relaxed about things!!

maybe set certain days that you weigh in on- like only on sundays and wednesdays. honestly when i don't weigh in every single day i feel like i lose more weight more consistently and i am happier not having my weight at the front of my mind every single day.

happy vacation!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #3  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I only weigh myself once or twice a week. I like it because usually I get a better feeling for the overall changes instead of daily fluctuations throwing me off.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #4  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I used to weigh myself compulsively. It was useful at first because it gave me a sense of how my body weight fluctuates over the course of a month, but in general it drove me nuts and made me obsess over every half pound. I would feel good if the scale was down and bad if it was up. If I didn't see the numbers go down fast enough I would get frustrated and give up. It was not healthy for me.

So this time around, I've hidden the scale on a shelf in a closet (the shelf is high enough that I have to go get a stool to get it down) and I only weigh in once a month. I weigh myself and do my measurements, and then I put the scale back on the shelf and leave it alone.

I feel this gives me a better sense of my progress as I'm not seeing every little blip up or down. As long as I'm working hard and eating right, the numbers should continue to go down at the end of the month.

It's tough though. There are definitely days I want to go get it and see how I'm doing, particularly so I can update my ticker. I'm pretty sure I weigh less than it currently says but I'm not going to find out for sure for another two weeks.

Still, it makes me focus on fitness and health (and how my clothes fit) rather than on the numbers on the scale.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I only weigh myself once a week, on the same day, around the same time (Tuesdays, around 4pm - oh, great, that's today). If I did the daily thing, I'd drive myself insane and my old eating disorder would come back roaring its ugly head.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6  
sugar is the devil

Quote:
but in general it drove me nuts and made me obsess over every half pound. I would feel good if the scale was down and bad if it was up. If I didn't see the numbers go down fast enough I would get frustrated and give up. It was not healthy for me.
I think I need to do the same thing as you - you pretty much just discribed what I do in a nuteshell. I obsessed about EVERY fraction of a pound, multiple times a day. It's gotta quit... and maybe that way... I can FORCE myself to do super good and on plan since I can't see the numbers; I need to make "sure" that it's going down instead of just finding out if it is or isn't and being depressed that it's creeping back up. And when it does creep back up a little bit, I don't seem to work at weight loss as hard as I can. If I don't know the numbers, perhaps I'll be more determined to stay on plan.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2

I usually weigh myself once a week and I'm usually at +- 2 pounds from current. Its dangerous for me not to weigh in often because I just pick up weight so fast. Thus I do it once a week to have more control and so I can do something about it if there is a major increase.
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #8  
I'm changing my life!

I used to weigh daily and it drove me crazy, so I went down to once a week. It makes me feel much less frantic. I know that my weight fluctuates on a daily basis, so this keeps me saner.
chavwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW=226 CW=223 GW1=205 LTG=120

Height: 5'4"

I used to check my scale every day, several times a day and realized I was gaining more weight that way because seeing tiny fluctuations stressed me out. I only weight myself once every week or so and now I'm doing much better. At first, I had no idea how much the weight on a scale could change even depending on when in the day you do it. Glad i've figured that out too cause it used to drive me nuts.
kitten007799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #10  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I've weighed the pros and cons myself.... but so far I seem to come out with keeping onto of that scale because over a long period of time I seem to relax too much and then when I get back on its like Oh my GOD!!!! So.... for now.... it's scale every day (and to be honest, twice a day, though I know I shouldn't) for me.....

I'm dealing with the vacation thing myself.... going to India in December and the boyfriend won't stop chuckling at me for me fretting over bringing a scale. As he said, "What, you think I don't have a scale at my place??"
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I have to weigh myself every day because my weight fluctuates so much. I've also read that weighing yourself every day helps you lose weight. The key is not to rely on the scale for your happiness.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote