Old 06-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

Default Yoga

I'm pretty new to yoga, though I've been wanting to learn for quite awhile. I found a book at McKays(a super fantastic used book warehouse here where the books are super cheap and they have a huge selection--off topic but I love them) for 25cents (didn't I say cheap?) called the 28-Day Yoga Exercise Plan. It's from the seventies, with black and white pictures of the same girl with long hair and an impossibly tiny waist in a skintight flesh colored jumpsuit doing each move. It has a few exercises for each day, and you do them individually to get the feel of the move and there's a practice plan for each day that combines the moves into a workout, then a "thought for the day" about yoga, the body, health, the mind, etc.
Anyway, I'm finding it really easy to follow, though I'm only on Day 3. After three solid days of yoga, I am SORE! I'm also doing ab planks as a major part of my exercise every day. The combination is apparently already having good results, as within a day of each other, my boyfriend and my grandmother both remarked that I was getting "trimmer."
Does anyone else do yoga? What are your favorite/most beneficial poses? Do you have a specific time of day you feel is best for doing yoga? and should I be this sore??
feels good (I'm much more flexible, I can already tell, but that may be due in part to the stretch trainer I've discovered at my gym. Precor stretch trainer--anyone used it? It stretched me out like a rubber band and let me feeling fabulous)
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

OMG my old gym had the stretch trainer and I LOVED IT. My current gym doesn't have it, and I'm sad.

Yoga's cool. I used to take this body flow class that was a combo of tae bo, yoga and pilates but I haven't gone in so long. I have limited time to exercise, and I just figure if I'm going to spend an hour doing something, I want to burn more calories than that. I was thinking that maybe when I get closer to my goal (or when I'm at goal) I'd pick it back up again, if only for the relaxation aspect of it.

Also, I like down dog. For some reason, it is SOOO relaxing for me.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #3  
Don't turn back.

haha i know, that stretch trainer is really awesome. It's my favorite part about going to the gym now. I was going to try to convince my dad to buy one (he has a totally decked out home gym) but they're $800!! So I guess I'll just keep going to the gym.

I hadn't considered really using yoga as an exercise before, and have only just added it in to my regular cardio and weight training, but since I've started it's really been kicking my butt. Yesterday I did yoga and went swimming. It was very relaxing. But today my muscles are aching, and I'm sunburn. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

Yeah, I was probably silly to think that it would be exercise. I was trying to take Madonna's lead.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #5  
Don't turn back.

haha.
well actually, I meant to say that it turns out it's quite an exercise. Maybe that's because I'm using a book that's instructing on how to use a yoga exercise plan, so the moves are more targeted for working your muscles and such?
Or maybe I'm just so stiff and unflexible that yoga is making me ache like I just climbed a mountain!
Either way, it hurts really good.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

Oh, I ached, but it was nice because it was muscles that hadn't been worked in a while. I'm sure you're doing a great job.