Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #31  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Thighs that don't touch? I'm convinced it's a myth. I just bought some hanes cotton "boxer brief" style underwear. They're like shorts and super comfortable. Maybe that would help. Or, maybe you could ask your dermatologist what they recommend about the dark skin.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/see profile/150

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle w 19 View Post
I live in Los Angeles...it's warm all the time so I can't avoid wearing skirts and stuff and I SWEAR BY this product for runners called "Sport Shield."

It's a competitor of "Body Glide" but I like it SO much better. Body Glide is waxy (I hated it) but Sport Shield is silky, feels light, and is silicone based. It's packaged like a liquid deodorant and you don't need much to last you through the day.

Ah, great! I live in central florida (super hot and SUPER humid!), so I know what you mean. If this doesn't work out for me, I'll definitely have to try that. Thanks!!
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #33  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

i have the dark skin between my thighs as well. but mines is really dark due to my eczema. when i was heavier i use to get cuts between my thighs that use to sting for days.

Last edited by helwa588; 06-13-2009 at 03:15 AM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatty View Post
Nicee!

how much is the cream?
$2-$7 depending on which one you get and the size.

And as for thighs not touching, they aren't a myth. Standing with my feet normal walking distance apart (about 3-4 inches??) even at my heaviest weight, only the little fat parts right up at crotch level even dared to brush slightly. Unless I stand with my knees pressed together, they don't touch. That being said, however, I strongly believe that my 14 some-odd years of ballet training has everything to do with my legs looking the way they do so i'm probably the extreme exception to the norm.

Last edited by NishKitten; 06-13-2009 at 07:32 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #35  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

OMG YES, I absolutely abhor thigh rubbing... It used to be the bane of my existence; any time I wore a skirt/dress without shorts underneath, I ended up with the most stingy rash-like thing all over my legs. Even if I wore tights/nylons, they would inevitably be too small, so the fibers of the tights would run together when my thighs rubbed together and make an even more painful rash! Ouch! And I never quite got the hang of using baby powder, so I pretty much wore shorts whenever I absolutely *had* to wear a skirt/dress, but otherwise avoided wearing anything else but pants at ALL costs! And yeah, the jeans thing? One year used to be pretty much the very maximum life-span of a pair of jeans for me, but I was usually lucky even to get that much wear out of them. The fabric in the thighs always got reeeeeally really worn and thin, until finally one day I'd squat in the wrong place at the wrong time and *rrrrrip*--bye bye jeans! Ugh. It was so annoying (and expensive!) to have to replace my pants so often... I'd try to mend them, but never figured out a way to do it that didn't make it totally obvious.

I am very pleased to report that this has become much less of a problem for me now that I've lost most of the weight... My thighs are still ridiculously droopy and saggy (oh heeey loose skin! ), but definitely don't rub together nearly as much as they used to. When I'm walking normally, they really don't rub together at all, and if I'm standing normally they only touch at the very very tops. And if I bring my feet together, there's actually an open space between my knees and thighs! Needless to say, skirts/dresses are infinitely more comfortable--actually, I pretty much LIVE in dresses now; I swear I wear one at least like twice a week, LOL. It's so funny how much my style has changed just from losing weight...

It's weird, I actually had an experience a couple weeks ago where I accidentally bought a too-small pair of nylons but wore them for a day anyways, and I got somewhat of a rash from the fibers rubbing together, etc. I hadn't had that in a looong time, and it totally jogged my memory, like Wow, this is what I used to go through *every* time I wore a dress... I definitely will not be missing those days!!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #36  

Hi ladies, the dark patches may be something called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is a condition where the skin becomes darker and thicker in places like the underarms, between thighs, back of neck etc.

Most of what I have read says that Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) is related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. I have read that in some cases the dark patches can fade or even disappear with control of blood sugar levels and with weight loss. It is possible that the dark patches you have may be AN.

Note: Having AN does NOT mean you have diabetes. Please do some research or check with your doctor if you have concerns about this.

I really wanted to let you know about this as soon as I read this thread because I have these patches too and have had them since I was a teenager (I am now in my mid twenties.) I have a famly history of diabetes, and most of my weight is on my tummy (people with insulin resistance tend to put on fat around the midsection) so I am failry certain my dark patches are AN. I am now on a low carb diet and hope that the patches will fade once I get down to normal weight.

I hope this information helps!!
losingit111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #37  
Fat with a P H

S/C/G: 220/200/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingit111 View Post
Hi ladies, the dark patches may be something called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is a condition where the skin becomes darker and thicker in places like the underarms, between thighs, back of neck etc.

Most of what I have read says that Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) is related to insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. I have read that in some cases the dark patches can fade or even disappear with control of blood sugar levels and with weight loss. It is possible that the dark patches you have may be AN.

Note: Having AN does NOT mean you have diabetes. Please do some research or check with your doctor if you have concerns about this.

I really wanted to let you know about this as soon as I read this thread because I have these patches too and have had them since I was a teenager (I am now in my mid twenties.) I have a famly history of diabetes, and most of my weight is on my tummy (people with insulin resistance tend to put on fat around the midsection) so I am failry certain my dark patches are AN. I am now on a low carb diet and hope that the patches will fade once I get down to normal weight.

I hope this information helps!!
Very interesting..thanks
Phatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

ahaha omg ! i was cracking up wheni saw this thread!
ive got a couple of expensive *** seven jeans and in the thigh area, its all thinned out from my inner thighs rubbing eachother..lol..ahahah...oh well...time to buy new jeans..you girls crack me up
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

My thighs will always rub. When I was in Jr. High, I was 5' 11'' and only weighed 115 lbs, and they still rubbed! I always wear some kind of shorts under my skirts or dresses.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #40  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

My thighs have always rubbed together too but it was when I was above 150 lbs that it became a real problem--I've been this weight for the past 5 years and have rubbed out the inner thighs of ALL of my pants and canNOT go without bike shorts beneath a skirt of I'll get a horrible chafing rash.

When I was in the 140s, I do not remember it being such a problem... I really want to drop 10 lbs ASAP so I can go out and enjoy the summer a little more!
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #41  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

Monistat chafing gel is amazing! And you can use it as a makeup primer if you are into that sort of thing.

I used to get such bad chub rub that I would bleed. I know some of you might be eating so I'll leave it at that, but it was BAD.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #42  
sugar is the devil

Been through countless pairs of jeans because of the fabric thinning from my rubbing! Can't wait for this problem to be solved so I can wear my jeans for MUCH longer
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I know it might sounds silly, but I had no idea that this wasn't a problem for people! I wear through the inner thighs of my jeans too! I figured it was just the dumb jean manufacturer who'd made them. It's nice to know that it's possible that once I'm at a healthy weight this won't be an issue anymore. If it's true for me that means I can spend a bit more on a better quality/fit of jeans once at my goal.
Now that's exciting!!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #44  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Get this. I'm slightly knock-kneed. So standing feet a normal, comfortable distance apart from each other, my thighs touch almost all the way down to my knees.

Case in point, my legs: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e/Photo331.jpg

If ANYONE knows how craptastic thigh-rubbing is, it's me, lol. Sometimes it's almost like my thighs get CAUGHT on each other. When I went to the doctor to have my leg pain diagnosed, and he made me walk around in my underwear, I was mortified; all I could think of was my freakin' thighs rubbing and catching and how icky it was, hehehe.

AND, I too have the jeans wearing out in the thigh issue! What a pain! Especially when you buy a nice pair of $80 jeans!

I oftentimes wear the Spanx that go right halfway down your thigh, because it keeps your thighs from rubbing/hurting.

...but does anyone else feel embarrassed when people TOUCH you while you're wearing spanx, because you know you feel like a trampoline?
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

I have the dark skin, too! The only bonus is that no hair grows where my thighs rub together.

I wear shorts under skirts, too. I was so tired of my skin getting red and puffy from the moisture when its hot and the friction. I also started using baby powder and then cornstarch between my legs. My friend swears by "Prickly Heat" powder. You can find it in some Asian grocery stores.

I hate that my jeans wear out so fast. I've patched a couple pairs, but I can't wear those on casual Fridays.

Last edited by FatGirlTale; 07-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote