Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #1  
proud mama

S/C/G: S196.2/See Ticker/G135

Height: 5'7"

Default Pregnancy and Exercise

Okay so my husband and I have been trying for quite a while to have #2. With DD we tried for 2 1/2 years and turned to fertility treatments which only took us a couple months to conceive Maggie This is my question: I have actually stayed OP for a week now (no big deal to some I know) but this is HUGE for me and it really feels like this time it will stick. But I started fertility meds again recently and now I'm terrified that if I get pregnant and I know I will soon, that it will throw me off plan and I won't get back to it.

I feel terrible even writing all this because I know a baby is a blessing and we have been trying to have a second baby for so long and because of timing issues (age gaps between kids) we want to do this now. Let me be perfectly clear I WANT TO HAVE THIS BABY - given I actually get pregnant soon. But I'm worried about what it will do to my weight loss.

Do you ladies have any thoughts/advice/experience with any of this. I don't want to tell hubby my fears because I'm afraid he will stop the whole TTC process (unfortunatly he has that control since I can't do this without him).
HELP ME!!! What do you think?
wannabeskinnyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #2  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I think that your efforts will shift from "weightloss" to "Staying healthy". You are obviously going to gain. That's what pregnancy does! But, you still need to be careful what you are feeding the baby. So many doctors say that you need to keep watching what you eat and keep exercising to have the healthiest pregnancy possible.

Just remember to talk with your doctor. He/she will prob be really happy that you brought this up! And try not to worry, worry only makes things hardier.
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I remember getting pregnant while i was in the middle of losing weight.. i refusd to stop exercising and my doctor said it was fine.. but i guess near the middle i should have slowed down because i went into pre-labor 3 times after 28 weeks and i delivered my son at 31 weeks.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/170/135

Height: 5'4 3/4"

If you have exercised before pregnancy by all means keep it up! Exercising during pregnancy has so many benefits! However, you must keep your heart rate BELOW 70% of max, NO EXCEPTIONS! Also, you only need approx. 456 (I was just reading a nutrition in medicine article) extra calories per day. Some women actually lose weight during pregnancy. Normal weight gain is approx 30 lbs (so add that to a normal BMI weight and if you're above that you MAY be able to lose weight). I'm not a doctor yet, but ask your OB/GYN he/she will have more specific information
Roxy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 6

It's really unhealthy to LOSE weight during pregnancy. If your body doesn't have enough calories (energy) then how is a baby supposed to have enough calories (energy) to grow? That doesn't mean you have to gain a ton though. You should concentrate on eating fruits and veggies (at least 5 servings a day). If you eat the fruits/veggies along with lean meats, and plenty of dairy you may not gain much at all. I think a goal of gaining twenty pounds is a great goal. You should ask your doctor about meeting with a nutritionist. They will give you a personalized plan of how many calories/ fat/ etc your pregnant body needs. You can keep exercising when you are pregnant, but listen to your body. Don't push yourself too hard.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote