Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #1  
finding my balance...

S/C/G: 216.8/209.4/135

Height: 5'7

Default running!

Guess what ladies, my store I work at has new balance shoes on clearance for 9.99 and with my discount that makes them $8!!! So as a motivation tool I am buying them tomorrow, and they will be my running shoes! I used to enjoy running in high school, but haven't done it since. In high school I ran on an indoor track in the school, so I have a goofy question... since I will be running outside how do I take my water with me? Cuz I know I will die without it! I also know my endurance has to be super low now, so plz wish me luck, cuz I'm really unsure of this but I know it's one of the best ways for me to tone up and lose my gross belly fat...
tandifrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow, that's a fantastic deal! Those shoes are over $100 here. Do you have any sports equipment stores around you? If so, they have all sorts of things to carry water while you're running. For shorter runs I use a waist-band with a holder attached to it, for longer runs I use a camelback, which is like a very small backpack that holds water and has a hose-like contraption that goes over your shoulder. Happy trails!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #3  

I just realized, I'm actually wearing a camelback in my avatar... so that's what it looks like if you haven't seen one before...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

This is so ironic. I have decided to start running (jogging...) myself. The only thing is, I was NEVER a runner before. HATED gym class in high school and on running days I walked the track. I swore that the only way I would ever run would be if something big and scary with lots of teeth were chasing me. However, since I started biking and feeling that great feeling of working my body I crave more. Then one day a month or 2 ago I was out walking my dog and we just started to jog a little. Then a little more....and when I got home I felt great! Oh, I jogged and walked, nothing like a full fledged run by any means but the weird part now is I find myself craving more. Is that normal? And is it safe for me to even be doing since I am at roughly 268 lbs (or less, been while since I weighed).

Any advice is more than welcome!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

Jennifer

Last edited by Iianae; 03-27-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Tandi - That camelback contraption looks cool. I guess. I just at the end thoug. Good luck with your running. I love it and used to run track in HS and it took a little getting used to again but is sooooo woeth it!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #6  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Iianae- You can certainly run! I started C25K the first time near 300. I just restarted it at 262 two weeks ago. Be cautious. Listen to your body. Obviously, your not going to be able to open the door and sprint for 60 minutes.... but, you will be able to do it. Give it a shot! Here's the link to the program if our interested.

http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Timed music to go along with it: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Good Luck!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

10 bucks?? id buy 4!! lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

haha, i'd totally buy 4 too! That's awesome, Running is such a good thing. Basically you just have to remember to enjoy it and not treat it as such a work out. I use my camelbak for everything, and I just have an eddie bauer one from Target, cause camelbak's are ridiculously expensive. I just bought one for the BF and it's actually worth the money, so I'll probably get one soon. Good luck girly, don't worry about running, jogging is just fine, and c25k is the perfect plan to get yo jump started.
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OMG! My NB were over 100 bucks! That is a steal! Do they have a website???

Ladies, I wanted to mention that I didn't begin running until Sept 08. I was walking before. When I first started, I could only go about 1/10 a mile--seriously. My legs hurt, my knees hurt, I was out of breath. I felt like the cars going by me were laughing and maybe they were. I never thought I would fall in love with the run. After being obese for years, yep, I have fallen in love with it. It gets easier and funner too. I run 3-4 miles most mornings now and have never felt physically more able than I do right now. I would like to be able to run a 1/2 marathon on some point. I read about all the ladies here and it makes me feel inadequate and makes me want to push through and do more.

Iiane, you totally have the right idea. Walking and then running a few steps is exactly how I began. I didn't realize it for a couple of months but what I was essentially doing (same as you) is running intervals or doing HIIT workouts. It is the most effective way to exercise. Keep up your good work!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-27-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

My NBs were bought at the end of the season (or year? however often they change style numbers) at a running store for $60 and I thought THAT was a steal!

As for water, I have an Amphipod belt that holds 4 small water bottles... 6oz maybe... I can't STAND having something in my hands when I run so it works for me. Well, I should say it WORKED for me... I only used it when running an hour or more, and I haven't done that in a few years.

When I'm running less than an hour, I just make sure I'm well hydrated before and I drink plenty after I'm done. Then again, this is in cool, humid NY state... if it were 85 degrees and dry outside I don't think I'd last 20 minutes without water.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #11  
finding my balance...

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I really need it to get me going [I'm a little nervous]
Leesa: That's great, I think the camelback might be too big for me, but I like the idea of strapping one around, I'll have to go get one.

Iainae: I had a friend in hs about the same size as you that I talked into running with me back then, she walked about half of it at first, but she was definitely capable.

Jahjah/DanSin - Yeah it's sweet that they're only $8, but there's only one pair in my size, it's crazy though we have nikes, etc. all on clearance for 9.99 just cuz the store wants to get rid of them! I got a really cute pair of Mudd flats for that price too!

TBG-They have a website, but they don't keep clearance in their warehouses; but the store is called Peebles, and it is affiliated with Beall's, Palais Royal, and Stage, so if you live by any of those...also " My legs hurt, my knees hurt, I was out of breath. I felt like the cars going by me were laughing and maybe they were. " this is exactly what I'm scared of... that's how I used to feel running, but hopefully it will be better this time around... and luckily we live in a somewhat secluded country area so cars are few and far between... but people I went to high school with aren't unfortunately...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #12  

Re: the camelback, it's actually quite comfortable to wear, holds alot of water and isn't too heavy, I live at the bottom of a mountain, and trained for a half-marathon on the trails here wearing the camelback the whole time, for the long 2+ hr runs it was a lifesaver and I didn't even really notice I was wearing it. (I was too busy cursing all the chafing issues because I was pregnant at the time - but that's another story!). Anyway, I'm all about the "more is better" I hate running out of water.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #13  
finding my balance...

Here they are [at a higher price in a different store]

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...?style=WL492GP
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandifrass View Post
Here they are [at a higher price in a different store]

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...?style=WL492GP
I don't want to be discouraging, but don't be totally shocked if you eventually end up with some foot/knee/leg/etc pain or other issues from running in a pair of walking shoes. Running shoes have more support/stability and are just shaped somewhat differently, to handle the different movement and higher impact when running.

I tried to run in cross-trainers a while back... ouch! I also wore out a pair of running shoes (by using them for other things, like tennis ) and started getting awful shin splints, even though the shoes *looked* fine. Shoes can make a big difference! Also, what your body could bounce back from in high school, it may not be able to anymore. (I know, it's been like 4 years based on the age in your profile, but there may be a difference.)

I'm sure that when you're starting out, a walking shoe will be fine, but once you're running longer distances you may want to invest in some running shoes.

Last edited by mayness; 03-27-2009 at 11:31 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #15  
finding my balance...

Mayness: thanks for the tip! I don't ever put much thought into my shoes [downfall of living on a tight budget and buying what is cheapest] I will start out with these and modify if needed... the only other shoes I have to run in are too small or those kangaroo ones with the pocket on the side I bought like 5 yrs ago, lol. So they're still a step up. also, oh how I know I won't bounce back like in high school, I did cheerleading and running at least 5 days a week, and now level 1 of 30ds almost kills me!! I suppose I gotta start somewhere though... Thanks for the tips :-)