Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

Default i have a question.

ooor like 18?

so these questions have probably been asked before buut i don't have the time or patience to search for the answers, i am in an awful mood and just want to know how to make it better.

so im getting progressively fatter while trying to get thinner. and i dont understand why. before christmas my body would sort of float between 175 and 180, but now i would be ecstatic just to see the 70's again. this issnn't supposed to be happening! why can i maintain a weight in the 70's without really much thought about it but once i actually try and put an effort to loose i gain! i makes no sense! i bought a gym pass about a month ago and i go most days but i have gained 4 pounds since. wtf! and i know that its not like im gaining muscle or anything because my clothes are getting tighter. idhfbviusdfgnkfdg i hate thiiiisss its not fair when you are actually making the effort and getting the opossite effect! ....ok so i am done ranting time for my questions.

when is the best time of day to exercise? what are the best exercises to do for weight loss? best things to eat before or after a workout? and finally, how little calories would you have to eat for your body to be in survival mode? (im so sad about my weight i don't even have an appetite and i'm nervous maybe i'm not eating enough? so if you have answers to any of these questions they would be greatly appriciated.
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Ugh!!!! I had the same thing happening to me when I first started, except I put on 12. All I can say is that it seems like some of us that are only slightly overweight have this issue where instead of losing the fat, our bodies hold onto it and on top of that start gaining muscle mass.

I don't know why. I asked my doctor when it was happening and he told me it was my eating, so I showed him my very meticulous food journal and that was enough to push him to getting me blood tested, etc. Turned up nothing but some moderately low thyroid production. Oddly enough, once I got off of hormonal B.C. (which I did because I was a complete whackjob on it) I didn't have that problem anymore and finally lost weight after a few months going off of it.

All I can say is that you might want to start logging your calories on daily plate and see if that is where the problem lies. If you're sure it's not your calories, then just keep doing what you're doing. It may take a few weeks or even a few months but your body will have to respond eventually.

To this day I have no clue why or what caused it, but I feel your pain.

Last edited by NishKitten; 03-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Fleming-

You should always eat at least 1200 calories a day to keep your body out of starvation mode. For someone your current high/weight, you should be eating more than that. Are you keeping track of your calories? Are you journaling your food using something like the daily plate? It would help if you gave us a sample day's menu or 2 so we could try to help you.

When you should exercise is really based on an individual basis. No matter what, you will burn the same calories... it's just when it's most convenient for you, and what makes you feel the best. What are you doing for exercise? How long are you exercising for?

The truth is, we can't control how our bodies are going to react. Some people lose a bunch of weight in the beginning. Some people experience a body revolt that causes them to hang onto weight.... but if you fight through it and you eat properly and exercise in moderation, your body will eventually follow.

To really try to help, we need more information on your eating habits and your exercise routine.

Hope this helped. Good luck!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

thanks, i do track my calories on daily plat eat around 1,000-1,4000 a day

a sample day would be

1 cup kashi cereal and a tangerine for breakfast

a banana for snack

for lunch some shrimp with brown rice and veggies

apple and yogurt for snack

and for dinner something like...2 pieces sole fish with a salad on the side

as for exercising, i do about 30-45 minutes of wiifit strength training a day, then at the gym i will go on the bike for 30 minutes on interval training, then if i have time i will swim laps for another 30 mins.
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

It's true that if you dont eat enough your body will not lose. I exercise at least 30-45 min a day 5 days a week. I use the website the dailyplate.com to enter my food each day. It will tell you how many calores you should be eating to lose so much a week. You need to be eating 6 small times a day to keep your metabalism working. The hardest thing for me was eating that many times but it does work.
I hope some of this info helps you. Im sure everyone has their own way of doing things.
Good luck and you can do this, it can be done dont give up!
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

go to mymealcoach.com...hit the weight loss calculator and fill out the form, and then go to the next step...it will tell you how much you should be eating to lose 1lb, 1.5lb or 2lbs a week. You're work outs sound fine, although, you've lost 22lbs, you may need to change it up a bit. You're body will get used to your work outs, so you want to change it up every 1-2 months.

Don't worry, you're body will come out of it! Keep on trucking it will pay off!
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

Best time of day for working out; Whenever it works for you. Some people find that they are more likely to work out if they get up in the morning and get it over with before work, so they're done for the day. Others (including me) can not get up earlier than they have to if their lives depended on it and have more energy to go after work. Whenever you do it - just do it!
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #8  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I don't really have any advice, only empathy. You've lost 22 pounds, which is fantastic! I've lost 25, and have been stuck gaining and losing on a daily basis for the last month, with weekly weighins at the same weight. I've exercised and changed my routine, I've dropped a 100 calories (from 150 to 140), I've calorie cycled, etc. etc. Nothing new.
So, I understand, I feel you, it sucks. It's mega frustrating. From what I understand, maybe our bodies are trying to catch up to our earlier weight loss? I'm sticking with that, that's all I've got. Good luck. Let me know when something works!
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

when is the best time of day to exercise?Anytime you can fit it in

what are the best exercises to do for weight loss? Successful exercisers chose at least 3 exercises they like to do. A good exercise program has flexibility, strength training and cardio

best things to eat before or after a workout? I don't see any need for snacks before or after a workout. But a big plate of pasta is NOT good to eat. No need to reward yourself with a donut. Also, I see studies linking either protein (think deli meat rollup), milk, or banana,

and finally, how little calories would you have to eat for your body to be in survival mode? DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. The lowest I'd go is 1200 but if you can lose weight while eating more, go for it. Some people gain weight when they are in starvation mode. I wouldn't believe any online weight loss calculator. I've seen threads on 3FC where they are all over the map on accuracy.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote