Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #1  

Default OT: Chicken Curry?

How good (or bad!) is chicken curry for you? I just made some with brown rice...

I used apples and onions (next time I'll throw in red and yellow peppers), chicken broth, and I splurged and used coconut milk instead of skim milk. All topped on a scoop of brown rice.

It was SO good! Is this stuff bad for you??
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #2  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

!!!!

I'm eating chicken curry that I just made! RIGHT NOW!

I dunno if coconut milk is worse for you, I've never used it before.
But I use organic chicken broth and or organic creamy chicken soup (less often, as it has more fat), a bit of skim milk, and I add a teensy bit of unsweetened coconut. I put potato in mine tho. And made with brown rice!

Yum yum!

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-04-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Well, the coconut milk was a splurge but you gotta live a little right? Otherwise, I think you did really well.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #4  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

yeah coconut milk has alot of fat in it unfortunately.

but one question, you guys are putting curry as well as the other spices in it too right. heh

just curious, what spices do you guys like to use.

i love stuff uber spicy, so i pretty much put sriracha in everything i eat. including most curry dishes.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #5  
Queen Yo-yo

Lol, nah, I'm a simple gal. I just put in a medium curry powder and some garlic powder. I can't handle super spicy, I'm a whimp.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #6  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

oh man, your missing out, there's a million awesome spices out there you can use, that aren't even "hot", but super flavorful.

cinnamon, anise, fennel, turmeric, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, fenugreek, coriander, ginger....

the list goes on really.

and if you wanna cheat, you can buy a blend of spices from your market. heh i do it.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #7  

I threw in quite a bit of curry powder, some cinnamon, turmeric and a little cumin!

mmMmm....

It was my first time making it, too! I love cooking new things. At least now I know to nix the coconut milk next time. It's ok though! I've eaten light all day!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #8  
Queen Yo-yo

Y'know, I think I only like cumin in my chilli. Because I put some cumin in my curry before, and I just... did NOT enjoy the flavour. :s
I must expand, try to find some new spices that I like!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #9  
Keep on Keepin' ON

S/C/G: 190/179/150

Height: 5'3"

coconut milk has a lot of fat in it, but I use it all the time in my curries. It adds a great flavor and it actually enables you to make the curry a little bit spicier. BUT since what makes curry flavorful is the spices, it is actually as healthy as what you put in it.

All the love,
Sidheag
Sidheag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #10  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

They also sell lite coconut milk. It still isn't exactly health food but it isn't quite so high in fat.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #11  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i don't know how to make curry and the curry recipes i have seen are NOT like the one i like to eat. i like yellow curry with potato, onion, and chicken. can somebody help a girl out? it's made with coconut milk i know but if somebody has a recipe that tastes even CLOSE i would love you forever. i'm gonna need a whole recipe though, i have NO idea how to make it!

Puh lease?
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #12  

Well, my bf's mom makes INCREDIBLE chicken curry...she actually boils her own chicken, debones it and uses the stock to add to the curry. I just don't have that sort of time.

Here's the recipe I used (the sauce is actually enough for 6 chicken breasts, but I used 3 and had enough sauce to put over rice and lots left over to freeze!):

3 chicken breasts
2 apples (if you don't want apples, maybe you could sub those little pearl potatoes sliced up?)
1 large onion
pat of butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2-2 tbsp yellow curry powder
(and I eyeballed it and threw in a little cinnamon, cumin and turmeric for extra spice...)

I cut up the chicken into bite size pieces and sauteed them in a large, deep pan with a little bit of cooking spray, adding salt and pepper to taste. I put that aside and cooked the chopped apples and onion in the butter until soft. Add the curry powder and any other spices you'd like and cook for about a minute....then add the flour and cook for about another minute or so. THEN you add the chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. That's when I threw the chicken in it and mixed it all up!

I put mine over brown rice. MmmMMM!!! Next time I think I'll throw in yellow and green peppers for a kick!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #13  
Workin' It

I make a dish with a Vindaloo seasoning blend from Penzy's spices, it actually has no coconut milk in it

This is the seasoning mix, includes the recipe. I use a pound of chicken breast instead of beef or pork cubes most of the time: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...svindaloo.html
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #14  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

thanks chicas! i just need to find me some curry powder.... do stores usually have it in the spice aisle or only with ethnic foods?
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #15  

I actually bought mine from WalMart! It's with the spices...I'm sure you can buy it at any grocery store. We have a Whole Foods here, and my bf's mom buys her's from there...I imagine they have a bigger selection!