Old 02-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Default Work Out Mind Tricks

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for workout tricks to keep you motivated.

I have a picture of myself from when I was at my lowest weight- which is still higher than my actual goal, but I look the best I ever have. I sometimes bring it with me when I work out and put it on the eliptical or treadmill and it always maes me work harder. I also bring a workout magazine and just stare at the super cut looking women on the front for extra motivation.

Does anyone else do this? I always feel a little weird staring at a picture of myself when someone is on the equipment next to me
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

my ipod and my new workout headphones really help And sometimes i just have to trick my mind into not even considering not going, i make the decision to go and then i just try to do it. And when that doesnt work i tell myself something that someone posted on here- love the results, learn to like the process. I still sometimes dont make it, but more often than not i do
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

My ipod! and i keep a calender right in front of my treadmill with the times i finish each 5K which motivates me to finish faster each time.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It's not really a mind trick, more of a body trick, but I find that I can work out much longer if I do deep mediation breathing while I'm on the machine. The time goes faster, and it's much easier to work out. Just slow, measured, deep breaths. Holding on to the HR monitor helps too, because you can focus on breathing slowly enough to get your heart down to a certain rate (For me, that's in the 160s)
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #5  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

HA! i WISH i had a trick. as much as i love the way it makes me feel and look afterward, me and exercise aren't really bff's. and i'm always thinking about how it sucks but i guess i push through just because i know what the outcome will be: a slimmer hot body.

but nope, i can't jedi mind trick myself into thinking i'm on a beach somewhere. nope nope.
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/181/140

Height: 5'8

I do the same thing! I have a pic or when I was quite a bit thinner. It keeps me going when I feel like I want to stop when I'm working out. I just think how great it's going to feel to get back into those clothes.
butterfly120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I don't have a mind trick but the only time I allow myself to watch my fav tv shows or series is when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. I won't allow myself to sit and watch so if I don't feel like working out, too bad, no tv! :P
I'll need to come up with a mind trick though for the 30 day shred dvd since I can't be working out to the dvd and watch tv at the same time!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/194/135

Height: 5'7

I love work out podcasts. Most of all Couch to 5k, its motivating to hear someone telling me good job and such.
sayneverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Whether I'm just motivating myself, or if there's someone else around, I tell myself I just have to get through half my workout. I tell my self that if I want to stop after that, I will stop and not feel guilty, and always by the time I got there I say "I made it this far, I can finish this." It even works on my friend who doesn't seem to be quite as motivated to finish our elliptical sets. "We made it halfway, let's just do half of what's left." "We're 75% done, we may as well do the last quarter."
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #10  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

I tell myself I'll go out and walk or go on the elliptial for at least 15 mins, after that if I want to stop, then I can. By the time I'm on it and 15 mins later I'm feeling a lot more energetic and usually finish.
Having a LOT of music or a good book or tv show to get into helps.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

I also try and suck my stomach in- it sounds silly, but it's like I can "feel" my waist shrinking so I want to continue
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #12  
cass

S/C/G: 167/ticker/90

Height: 5'2

music. it is ALL about the music.
i cover the time and miles gone with a towel and only watch my speed. then when i'm ready to give up i think, 4 more songs. just 4 more songs. and then... just 4 more
IcassiopeiaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

My elliptical is in the dining room so I can't see the TV when I'm on it. I've got a goofy setup (as if the elliptical in the dining room isn't goofy enough!) where I put my laptop on a kitchen chair and am currently watching back episodes of "24" on Hulu. Because it's my work laptop, the screen saver will automatically kick in at 10 minutes, so I have to string the mouse up onto the elliptical and remember to jiggle it every few minutes so I don't have to stop and re-enter my password. (These settings can't be overridden since the machine belongs to my employer).

The other thing I do is to set the timer, incline, etc and then cover up the electronic readout with a piece of paper. Otherwise, I keep watching the readout and thinking about how looooooonnnnng I have to go. The combination of covering the readout and watching something full of car chases and explosions really helps me to stay focused and in the groove!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Sometimes i'll get sluggish during a workout and begin to feel a little blahhh...so I'll talk myself out of it. Some of the things are..

-"Suck it up princess and just do it"
-"I'm worth this....I'm worth this"
-"I'm not a quitter..it's almost over"

I know I sound crazy but I find it really works! hahaha
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

cover up the time........lol
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote