Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163.4/161.2/150

Height: 5'7''

Default What do you do?!?!

I know there are probably TONS of posts about this wonderful topic that we all love. However, I am still new to this and when I tried to search for some threads about it I could only find one and it didn't have the information I wanted.

Basically, I just want to know people's tips for staying motivated during this TOM. I find that this is the week I usually fall out of habit with exercising and watching what I eat. Does anyone have any tips that keep them motivated and on track? I've been doing really good for the past 2 weeks and I dont want this to deter me from my goals. I appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by aerdna; 02-23-2009 at 03:54 PM.
aerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

just got TOM today I don't really have good advice. I am not working out today, I am sore from yesterdays workout and I just don't have the energy. As for eating that is a struggle too. Someone said that losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. So I am trying to focus on my eating. Good luck, it's hard no matter what.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #3  
Meow

All I have is bad advice.. lol I got mine on Thursday and I ate bad all weekend!

but as long as you go for walks and stay within your calorie range.. it shouldnt be too too bad
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #4  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

I try to plan ahead. Still doesn't always work out well for me, as I often fall off plan during TOM, but I try. For me during TOM I crave chocolatey, cakey things and/or cheesy salty things. So for the chocolate-cakey craving, I will buy myself an Odwalla Choco-walla bar, or some FiberOne chocolate cereal bars....the Choco-wallas are my favorites, and at $1.50 each they sure feel like a treat b/c I can't afford them all the time!

For the cheesy/salty cravings I like the cheese or sour cream & onion rice Quakes (Quaker brand, I think), or I will splurge on a pkg of Stouffer's french bread pizzas....one frozen french bread pizza is 9 ww points, which I can fit comfortably into my range.

Still, though, sometimes I just know I'm going to go off plan so I try to eat small portions of the off-plan foods.

Exercise for me is hard during TOM. I have a lot of aches and pains during that time, as well as crazy fatigue, so I try to get in as much movement as I can without totally wearing myself out.

TOM is just hard. I no longer expect a loss during TOM, I just take it a smidge easier on myself and expect to maintain the previous week's weight. Plus there is always water weight and/or bloating, too, so sometimes I don't even weigh myself during TOM because it can be so inaccurate.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents!
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #5  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

i don't even try to stay on track during my period. i get pretty severe cramps, so i eat anything that will make me feel better. this month, that included some KFC. (plus i had a cold during my period, which was GREAT, so i ate anything i could taste.)
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/120/125

Height: 5'6"

When I get my period I can literally gain 10 pounds overnight. Thankfully I am not prone to cravings on top of everything else. Try not to use your period as an excuse to binge, do what you can physically, and don't let wild fluctuations on the scale freak you out. In a week(ish) it'll all be over (for at least a few more weeks) and you'll be back in the saddle again.
efova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

So funny that most of us get our TOMS together LOL
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #8  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

The most discouraging thing about TOM for me is the fact that it makes my scale bounce up, which is frustrating.

So I don't ususally weigh myself around TOM. I usually weight every few days, but around 3 or 4 days before I should be getting my period I do not weigh. And I don't weight again until day 3 or 4 of my period, or until that infernal bloated whale feeling is gone.

Sometimes I look forward to this time in fact because I usually see more of a weight loss after a 7-10 days than I do when I weigh every 2-3 day.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #9  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm blessed to have the scale actually go down around TOM which is wonderful because I am STRESSED out and I'm sure having TOM is making anything better.

Although for me the scale goes up the week before so I don't really lose I just generally go back to where I was before, but even so, it's nice to see.

The only thing I have is to make double sure you're getting more than enough water so you don't have an extra bloat.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

omg.........talk about TOM gains. I was up 2.6 lbs today & my period has officially started.

SO ANNOYING!

I'm so glad I have those little 100 cal chocolate cupcakes here. They are doing wonders for my "sweet" cravings.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #11  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I love those 100 calorie cup cakes. I have to remember to get some next time I go to the store.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #12  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

are you guys talking about those vitamuffin things? oh my god sooo good.

My mom accidently bought the muffin tops, where its just a muffin top not the base part, so it looks like a big fluffy cookie but I don't know if its my imagination but they seem to taste even better!
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/120/125

Height: 5'6"

I just got mine today. I'm scared to get on the scale tomorrow. Blasted water weight.
efova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Okay so AF sucks, but stick w/ your program ladies! I somehow, miracuously have managed to stay on plan during this whole ordeal & lost 3.6 lbs this week. FINALLY let go of the bloat at this morning's WI. Thank the almightly lord...........

So worth fighting all the cravings & staying on track. I feel like I can conquer anything!

Hotnewspirits - I was talking about the 100 calorie Hostess cupcakes. They have seriously been a lifesaver for me. I just bought another box today

I really want to try the Vitamuffins. People rave about them & they've been featured in all the weight loss publications I read. Anyone know where to get them? I tried the website but they seemed really expensive. Are they in any grocery stores?
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote