Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #16  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

i love self and women's health magazine. i feel they both are focused on the fitness and self is all about real women. there are celebs but they talk about things i want to read and they give awesome workouts. i am downsizing my magazines and i prob will only keep womens health but self is awesome.

i found my eating plan (the abs diet for women) on women's health and i have workouts that i do from there as well. there is a lot of info from doctors and trainers too. i def use the mag and the website to keep me focused
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
But I can't stand the magazines that are primarily a giant collection of blurbs. Those drive me crazy.
YES!

Especially those ones that use irritating alliterations for their titles and then say useless things like "berries are good antioxidants" or "add some nuts to your diet". Blah blah blah, oh REALLY? like this is breaking news or something?

And I love the true stories of how someone lost weight, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE when for diet they just say "I just added fresh fruits and vegetables and eliminated soda and junk". The standard pat answer.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #18  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I'm an avid reader of these type of magazine. I enjoy reading Shape, Fitness, Self, Prevention, Weight Watchers etc., all of them. They are neither a motivator for me or a zapper, they are what they are, basically reading material to pass the time. I also read Cosmo, Glamour, Womans Day, Womans World, Redbook etc. Ok, I admit, I'm a fitness girly girl magazine fanatic!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 229/229/170

Height: 5' 9"

At times, these magazines do help me out, other times, not so much!! they make my current mood intensified. But i have always like womens health

suzi
sweetpetite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #20  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I like them and I keep in mind that all of the women in there are airbrushed and elongated and made to look perfect.

I think it's a total f*cking sham because it's a FITNESS magazine for Pete's sake, and they're *airbrushing* their models???? Sense, it does not make.

Last edited by sunflowergirl68; 01-18-2009 at 12:13 AM.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #21  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

Height: 5'7"

I like them for the articles. They have some great ideas and boosters.
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #22  

I read them when the gym gets new issues but only to pass the time on the elliptical or treadmill. I used to like them but now that I have been reading them for like 5 years they are so repetitive. I have also found that their strength training exercises are too easy to make any sort of change to my body.
I need to lift weights and use heavy duty machines at weights higher than 10 pounds to get any sort of result.
Squirrelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think what's as bad as the airbrushing is that the fitness models maintain different weights in season and off season. So the look they're sporting for pictures is not even the one they find sustainable all the time.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #24  
I hate chub-rub!

Height: 5'6"

Man, these are all really good points. I think I'm going to get it, but I will be realistic and only take it for the tips I can get out of it, and leave the rest. I have been going thru one magazine's old issues, and for some reason I am getting a lot more out of the workouts and tips than I used to. I used to just pitch them as say that is far from realistic. And though I completely relate with annoyance for the "eat more berries and nuts" types of mundane statements, but I need to get back to basics bc I am not doing the simple healthy things I should be doing.
kellibee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote