Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Confession

Oh ladies. Where did I go wrong

I've gained back about 25 pounds and picked up a lovely new habit - binging. I've never been a binger. I did snack a lot, eat a lot of bad foods, etc, but never really binged. Lately though, it's been nonstop. Yesterday I bought dinner at Mcdonalds (which itself is gross, especially since I've been doing it almost daily) then bought one of those cakes at Costco and ate a giant whole out of the middle. Like giant.

All this gross food I've been putting in my body is making me feel awful. I'm moody and exhausted all the time. Never want to exercise. And the more I eat it the more I want it.

I know if I continue at this rate I'll quickly gain back EVERY pound I've lost. How do I snap out of it? It seems like every night, while regretting the days eating, I resolve to do better tomorrow. Then *surprise* the next day is exactly the same.

How do I snap out of this? Help!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 AM   #2  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

I have the same problem. I would suggest buying a TON of veggies and fruit, and binging on those. If you have the desperate need to binge (as I get many times), then at least it will be healthy.

Other than that, I would say distract yourself when you want to binge.

Don't buy any foods that you know you will binge on (like the cake).

Whenever you feel like binging, tell yourself you will wait for at least half an hour and do something else in the mean time. Don't just sit there and count down the half an hour. Read a book, play some computer games, etc. IF you still want to binge half an hour later, then do it on healthy food. Many times the need to binge is strictly impulse. Drink LOTS of water while you are waiting as well.

Occupy your mouth and hands! Chew gum, drink tea, knit, play computer games, talk on the phone, etc.

Distraction is key to me! Now if only I would listen to my own advice...

Last edited by vdaybaby; 12-10-2008 at 03:47 AM.
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/253/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Thank God...

Might sound crazy, but I have not even been on this site in MONTHS.

I logged in tonight out of desperation. I have been going through the same things and have felt like I'm hopeless. Your thread was the first thing I clicked on and I immediately started bawling my head off. Not only did I feel less crazy that I'm not the only person in the situation, in an almost strange way, I was inspired.

So, no, I have no suggestions. (Sorry!) But I do know that you are not alone and that you can overcome it.

Thank you!!!
JimmieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/167/140

Height: 5'5

A few things.

1. Do NOT make a resolution to "do better tomorrow". When you resolve to do something better later, then you make an excuse when later finally comes. Don't accept later as an option. If you are thinking about it now, then it's an issue now, all the better to face it in the now.
Change the way you see the timing of your actions happening. Make it present tense thinking, don't make a resolution for the future, even if it's just five minutes from now. It will take some time and it will take some steps, but it is worth it. Eventually, you will be able to catch yourself in the action and correct what you do not want to be doing.

2. You have a stessor. This is the easiest thing to do. Just realize something is causing you to seek an outlet. If you aren't prone to binging, but have taken it up recently, then something is off. You do not have to assess every little thing going on around you, but just be aware that you may not be addressing an issue that's affecting you more than you want to admit.

Just don't let that issue become an excuse for what you are doing.

3. Trade the shame for resolve. Life will keep moving, this is a process. You have this moment and this day to make a decision and devise a solution. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. You have no room for regret if you want opportunity.
The mistakes have already been made, you're going to make more. What are you going to do about it NOW?
You have made a confession, so now make a decision. This is not something beyond your control. A process takes steps. You are fully capable of deciding your direction and focus.
Forget the guilt of having gained something back. Guilt just gives you a defeatist attitude. Revel in the triumph of having accomplished that goal before. You have done it once! You CAN do it now!
Is that what you want?
Invest in yourself. Give yourself a triumph. Believe in what you don't yet see, but know you can do (something you have worked toward before).
Forward motion, woman! It's all a journey where you can do nothing but move forward. You can't glimpse the future, you can't change the past, but you can work on your motions today.
You'll be happy to know there are proven steps to getting anything done in life. In the very first stages a person will get the idea, conceptualize the action, and then make small steps in that direction. Those are just the first few of many stages.

No worries.
Dumdeedum....*DoNe*
Totally_Xonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #5  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

I don't really have experience with binging, but I'm so feeling for you all . I hope you can find the resolve to break free from this habit soon! Good luck
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #6  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I have an idea to maybe help with the fast food. Not to fix the overall craving or urge to binge but just to make getting it a little harder! I used to always have few dollars on me "just in case" and always had my debit card in case I ran out of cash. If I was stressed after a bad day, I'd drive through McDonalds.

Once I started this eating plan, until I feel I am in control of ALL that I put in my mouth, I make sure my car has a full tank of gas before the work week (so I have one less excuse to keep the extra $ within easy drivethrough binge reach), and then have taken all cash and debit card out of my wallet.

I have no way of purchasing any junk on the way home and have found myself less likely to come home, grab a few dollars or my debit card to go back out to buy junk.

I don't have much to offer other than that little idea and a little hug! Hang in there!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

You poor thing... Different things work for different people. I was a McD addict... I find myself there often (my daughter will soon turn into a chicken nugget) and when I go threw the drive threw, I literally, outloud, keep repeating ( You don't need this, don't do it, size 10, size 10).... I just keep saying it to myself over and over and over until I have ordered my daughters food and pulled up too pay... I need to remind myself, out loud so I really hear it, that I don't need it... If I have a craving and I'm driving by a McD, I do the same thing, talk to myself out loud, that I won't stop, it's not good, I want a size 10! It sounds stupid, I know, but it has worked... I do allow myself (about once every 2 weeks) to have a 4 piece chicken nugget. I find if I allow myself something, I'm less likely to binge on it... Keep going.. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Take it one meal at a time, one pound at a time...
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 317/317/140

Height: 5'3

I'm sorry that you have been binging lately but there is hope I am also a binge eater and it's hard to break but I do a few things when the urge hits me. I write emails to my friends, I call my friends on the phone, I write in my journal, I talk to my friend on IM....I do ANYTHING that will distract my mind from eating and I call the people who will stop me from my bad choices. I also do not buy any food that I know will make me binge. My house has to be rid of all bad or I will eat it...I have no will power! First thing you need to do is take all your bad food and throw it away and then go out and buy healthy food. I used to be addicted to fast food and then I made myself my watch "Supersize Me" anytime I got the urge for fast food. It really helped b/c it shows how gross that stuff is for your body. Hope you are doing better and just know we are all here for you
Brandyc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

I know I definitely have some added stressors at the moment. I was trying not to make "excuses" because everybody has problems. I guess I need to face them and accept that I need to find other ways to deal with it.

It also felt really good to get it off my chest. It's like it was my own little secret, and now that it's out in the open it's not as big of a deal, if that makes sense. Like not as overwhelming.

Well, I'm going to work on it and I'll definitely check back in if I'm having trouble.

Again, thanks so much everyone

Last edited by stacylambert; 12-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote