What do you think about this? - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #1  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Default What do you think about this?

Some weeks ago I read a magazine with an article about dieting. They had some list of 10 ideas with a lot of sensible ones ("Don't feel obliged to finish leftovers, we don't have hunger any more" "You need less food than your boyfriend" etc). However, one of the advices was: "If you really want to eat something, but you should not, just put it in your mouth, chew on it, taste it, but don't swallow it, spit it out instead." They proposed that you could do this with chocolate for example. I am not really sure why but this bugs me. It feels like .... it is the first step to an eating disorder, or something like that. What do you think about this? Am I grossly exaggerating and is this a very sensible advice? Or is it a bit odd indeed?
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 350/350/170

Height: 5'9"

i think it sound ridiculous. put something in your mouth, chew it, and spit it out. no way. if something goes in my mouth and i chew it, it's getting swallowed! i guess it would work if you are needing to taste somethign that badly, but if you are needing it that badly, just eat it. it won't kill your diet!
jmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #3  
I feel GREAT!

S/C/G: 228/145/135

Height: 5'5

I dont know but I have been told to do that as well. I have done it twice, and it did feel a bit weird. I would have to agree with you that its on the verge of being a bit over board.
thatgirl1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

No, I agree with you. I've started eating something then realized I shouldn't be eating it and would spit it out (this is a very rare occurrance when my emotions are taking over and I'm on the edge of a binge before I get a grip), but deliberately chewing food to not eat it really seems like disordered eating.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

Yeah I totally think that could be trigger an eating disorder. Plus it's a waste of food and money.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #6  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I think purposely doing it is disordered behavior. Plus the insulin trigger you'll get will just make you want to eat more anyway.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Chewing and spitting is a bulimic food ritual, just like binging and purging. No different.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5,1"

I have read an article about this and apparently it has been named "spitorexia" and is classed as a type of eating disorder. Apparently it can become addictive, so i wouldnt start!!
Cat
x
CatRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Definitely a stepping-stone to more severe disordered eating. I would recommend writing in to the magazine with your concerns... can't hurt, even if they don't take it seriously.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Not for nothing, I just watched an Intervention on Monday and one of the people on there had a eating disorder and this is exactly what she did. She would put massive amounts of food in her mouth (think oreos with pudding, and cake mix and chef boyardee) chew it, and then spit it out into a cup. She would do the same with liquids to. She would just let it sit in her mouth and then spit it out. I would highly recommend to anyone NOT to do this because god forbid if somebody got addicted to doing this, who knows what would happen. I have no clue why a magazine would publish that because it is a well known thing with people who study eating disorders and who have them. I know its called the "chew and spit" ritual that they do.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I don't think its good advice at all. Seems very irresponsible for the magazine to be promoting what is known to be disordered eating.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #12  
Lazy runner deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRocks View Post
I have read an article about this and apparently it has been named "spitorexia" and is classed as a type of eating disorder. Apparently it can become addictive, so i wouldnt start!!
Cat
x
I tried to do some research on this and the fourth hit coming up when you google "spitorexia" is this thread. There is apparently not very much written about it. The article you are referring to is probably this one: http://www.georgiafoster.com/popup.php?id=19 . "Chew and spit" seems to be a name that is also used.

Thank you for your reactions all . I was guessing it was a kind of unhealthy thing to do but now I am really sure. Apparently if you really make a habit of it it can even induce stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding! I'd never have guessed that. The things you learn...
Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #13  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

ahhh yeah definitely a part of an eating disorder. did they also recommend pouring bleach on your food so your guarenteed not to eat it.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #14  
Lazy runner deluxe

No, it was actually a magazine for older women (30-50) and it is usually quite sensible. I do sometimes spoil food though... when people have been over and I have bought crisps or something else I never buy for myself, I have to get rid of it or else I'll empty the entire bag. So I either give it away, or throw it away. And when I feel really weak I pour water in it. I think there is a major difference between chewing and spitting and spoiling food though. Chewing and spitting has directly to do with eating. You learn yourself a wrong eating behaviour. Spoiling food is... just that. You are not really at risk to suddenly pour water in all crisp bags in the supermarket, or something like that.