Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Default Should i just stop eating?

I saw myself in a family picture we took about 5 weeks ago and thats when it really hit me that this is NOT the person i want to be .

I started my diet THAT night because i was so upset with how i looked in that picture i just decided to stop eating . I hardly eat anything all day . Ive lost about 17 pounds in the past 5 weeks but i feel terrible i feel like my body is shutting down .

I don't know what to do and im afraid if ill go back to eating i can kiss me losing anymore weight goodbye .. any advice?
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #2  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

u have to eat....
at the end of the day its what fuels your body....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #3  
You need me!

Height: 5'7"

That would be No on the not eating part.
This happens to me, and Im sure to many other people as well. If you are like me, I found something that worked for me, excerise wise as well as foods, your body might be in a rut.
just do different things, to keep your body on its toes. I read that its that only thing that keeps you from losing all the weight you want.
LindsayL0ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

You CANNOT stop eating. We all go through those pics of ourselves and realize that that's not who we want to be anymore. Focus on the positive. You're here and you're willing to make changes.

Congratulations on the weight lost, but you want to do it in a healthy way so that your body is ok and you can keep it off. Less than 1200 calories a day, and you're body might think it's starving. That's probably why you aren't feeling like yourself. DOn't stop eating, just change what you eat. Poke around in some of the forums here to look for changes you can incorporate into your life. I wish you the best.
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #5  
One step at a time!

S/C/G: 187/ticker/120

Height: 5'7

Eat healthy, lots of veggies, fruits, lean meats and exercise! U can loose a lot of weight but if you don´t exercise it won´t look good..
I think it´s great you´ve lost all that weight, now it´s time to change the plan, start eating healthy and believe it or not you´ll feel much better and the weight will still come off... it may take more time, but it´s worth the effort!
ChileanChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #6  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

If you stop eating, your body will go into starvation mode, which will mess with your metabolism and could make it much more difficult to lose weight when you start eating again.

You MUST eat. Make healthy choices, count calories, but EAT. There are lots of wonderful people on this site who will help you form a diet and exercise plan if you like.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

You can't stop eating. It slows your metabolism and ultimately leads to a binge. It just makes matters worse. Try to tell yourself weight loss is not something that can happen at the snap of a finger. It's slow and steady (if you do it right and want it to stay off). Eat lean meats, delicious veggies and fruits, lots of water, no junk food, and most importantly EXERCISE!!
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

Default No

Now, when you are motivated to lose weight is the perfect time to learn how to eat healthily so that you can effectively maintain the weight you want to be.
What you are doing is what so many of us did at the beginning. If I had learned to manage the first 20 lbs or so, I wouldn't be still trying to lose almost 80 lbs.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
if ill go back to eating i can kiss me losing anymore weight goodbye
So you'd rather die?

I'll be honest, I don't think this is something that anyone on this board can answer for you. It sounds to me like you need to see a doctor about a possible eating disorder.

What you're doing is DANGEROUS. You're harming your body. Right now you feel "terrible". Pretty soon you're going to feel worse.

Being a skinny dead person isn't going to make you feel better.

Please get the help that you need!!!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #10  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

you have to eat to give your body fuel to live.

you do not have to eat in a way that you're taking in more fuel than you need.

find a plan that allows you to eat in a way that fuels your body. and thats it.

there are a ton of plans out there. I personally do calorie counting.. and I can relate to the desperation you're expressing. I too got to a point where I couldnt stand myself. I wanted to do something drastic.. but drastic isnt something you can do FOR LIFE.

I think the desperation you're feeling can be channeled into committment for a food plan you can sustain for life. Please try to turn this into something that will positivly change your life. You can do it
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

You have have haveeee to eat!!! It's not eating that makes you gain weight..its WHAT you chose to eat...You also need to exercise and be fit. I've lost almost 87 lbs doing weight watchers (on my own!!) and I am eating ALL the time as well as exercising a lot throughout the week! Eat at least 5 fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lots of lean meat like chicken/turkey and fish and you will see results!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #12  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahjah1223 View Post
I started my diet THAT night because i was so upset with how i looked in that picture i just decided to stop eating . I hardly eat anything all day. Ive lost about 17 pounds in the past 5 weeks but i feel terrible i feel like my body is shutting down .
Probably because it is shutting down. At your weight losing more than 3 pounds a week means you probably aren't eating (as you've said). I'm serious here - you need to get some counseling on eating disorders. Because frankly, what you've said here sounds like you have one. The range for someone of your height should be about 111 - 147 pounds, so at your starting weight you were maybe 30 pounds over the median of those numbers.

If you're active (ie. lots of exercise) the minimum amount you should be eating is about 1500 calories to start with. Then, based on how much or little you lose, you would adjust it. The sad thing is that you not eating over the last 5 weeks is going to make it harder. Your body thinks that it's starving (which it probably is) and eating a sane amount of food will likely cause you to gain a little, before you start losing again.

But... here's the thing, unless you don't want to survive your weight loss you need to eat. If it sounds like I'm trying to scare you, I am. Talk to your family, or a doctor, or someone you trust. Make sure that they watch you, or monitor you, to make sure that you eat. Seriously.

Last edited by RealCdn; 10-05-2008 at 04:34 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #13  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

I think you know the answer to your question. Nobody in their right mind is going to advise you to quit eating.
It sounds like you need some support though, and that's what this forum is about. Read and take into consideration what these patient and caring people tell you. Everyone who is here knows the panicky feeling of seeing pictures of themselves they don't like and feeling like they might re-gain some of the weight they've lost, but this is no cause for life threatening measures. Take care of yourself.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I just wish i could find a good eating program where i wont have to worry when i put anything in my mouth about it making me gain weight . I get hesitant when even just having a banana now.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #15  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

You're always going to have to make choices about what to eat. It's a matter of making good choices. Bananas are a good choice - and it sounds like you know that, deep-down.

I would strongly suggest you talk with a doctor, nutritionist, or therapist (or all three) about what you've been going through. You are starving yourself. If you can't even bring yourself to eat a banana without experiencing anxiety, that's a big problem. Please, please, please get help!

UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote