Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #1  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Back to Square One

I was doing really well up until about January or February this year. I started my weight-loss journey last summer with slow progress during the warm months, but I picked up the pace come fall. I had lost about 35 pounds by Christmas and was hitting up the gym at school almost every weekday, and using the treadmill at home on weekends.

I met my boyfriend at the beginning of December, and I didn't change my habits at first. Then winter break started in mid-December, and we really started getting to know each other once I had more free time. That's when I started spending a lot more time with him, and a lot less time on the treadmill. I didn't expect to lose much weight over break -- I'm not overly fond of our treadmill at home, and I didn't have access to the gym at school until the spring semester started. Plus there's holiday deserts, and I'm not one to pass up on sweets. I stayed the same weight until the spring semester started in the middle of January, when spending time with my boyfriend after class became more important than going to the gym. I think I ended up going there three times over the whole semester.

It probably wouldn't have been quite as big of a problem if my boyfriend wasn't an eating machine. He eats and eats and eats and hardly gains a pound, and it's always terrible food, like pizza, Chinese, lasagna, Burger King, and his favorite -- Taco Bell :-P Yuck! Unfortunately for me, he likes me to eat something when he does! Even if he didn't, I would probably still eat, because I just don't have the willpower to not eat when other people are. The good news is, eight months later, he's finally gone up a pants size and has a little bit of a belly. The eating might slow down, because he's beginning to get angry with himself for gaining the weight.

As for me, I gained back everything and I feel terribly out of shape again. I bought a great bathing suit in January that was a few sizes too small in hope that it would encourage me to keep up the work and burn off the pounds by summer, but now I'm nowhere near that size and it will just have to wait until next year. I'm back at 280 pounds, and starting over. Hopefully this time around, I won't let things get in the way of my gym time and I'll get back to eating healthy. One of my goals right now is come our first anniversary, to weigh the same as when I met him or lower.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 263.6/258.2/150

Height: 5'7

I know eactly how you feel. Only I have been with my man for almost eight years. Since him and I have been together I have gained over 100 lbs. So I totally don't look the same. He has gained as well. I have had lots of things gone on the past few years. And I have cared less about finding time to work out and work on me then do other things, especially spending time with my fiance.

I realize I need to make a change for myself and become the person I once was. I lost myself through the years. It is weird because I can walk by a reflection and think its someone else next to me I don't see. Then I take a second look and realize that person is me. About 18 months ago, I started in a special assignment position in my job for a major project. My work and the vendor had a begining (team building) party and pictures were taken. I was looking through the pictures and I was thought this girl in the one picture had nice hair for such a "big girl". And yes that person was me, I couldn't believe it. Unfortunaly it has taken me this long to do something about it. I just got so comfortable being the way I am with my fiance. He loves me for who I am, yes he would like to see me to lose weight to become healthier. But he still loves me. I love to go back down to the weight when we first met.

I finally had to think about me. So right now I am starting my life over again, the way I want my life to be. I work full time, and going back to school full time. Today I will have my orientation for my personal trainer, and I have been watching what I eat.

I know you will reach your goal. Good Luck on your journey.
Michiemish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #3  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

My biggest weight gain worries were because of a man I was dating as well - I was "overweight" when I met him (by 15 pounds), but everytime he met up with me, be it a date or just coming over to my place, he would bring sweets. Not only did I have a sweet tooth, but he would question me if I didn't eat it.

A year later, I went to college, and on top of the 15 I was already overweight and the 20 I gained from eating the "date sweets", I gained not just a Freshman 15 but Freshman 30 - due to his sweet visits, and horrible food options at our cafeteria.

I know that I'm the one that made the choices during all that time - but that 1.5 years is what kicked off what eventually became a 100 pound weight gain.

I'm happy to have caught myself when I did...I'd hate to think of what any more excess weight would have started to do to my small frame. Thankfully, I now have a boyfriend who not only loved me in my large state to begin with, but is completely supportive of my diet and attempt to lose weight (even though it means I don't cook his favorite meals as often).
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote