Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Talking Ever seen an egg explode?

Seriously. One just exploded in my face. Got hot egg all over my face, chest, stomach, microwave, and walls. Wouldn't you know, I had just taken off my work shirt so I was just in a bra. Now I have a boil forming. And I just laughed.

How do you cook a boiled egg in a microwave?
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow, I can't believe that happened to you! I hope your skin gets better soon too. I wish I could help you, but the only way I boil an egg is on the cooktop. Sorry!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You don't!

I did the same thing when I was in high school. I even nocked off the top of the egg and cooked it upright in a cup, thinking that the top opening on the egg would release the steam.

I even let it cool for a about 15 seconds, it looked ok, so I stuck my fork in and it exploded in my face, just like you said. "Egg on my face," suddenly had a whole different meaning. Oy, did it burn. I ran to the bathroom and splashed and splashed cold water on my face - luckily no blisters, but I'm very pale, and I looked like I had freckles - for a couple days. Yikes!!

Considering how quickly you can boil an egg on the stove, I really do not recommend trying to boil an egg in the microwave. It's just not worth it.

I don't know if the water would stay hot enough, but if you wanted to try it, you could boil a mugful of water and then drop the egg in and let it sit covered with a saucer for 10 to 20 minutes (outside of the microwave).

Last edited by kaplods; 07-18-2008 at 11:46 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #4  

I had a somewhat similar experience..... I made a hardboiled on the stove, peeled it, bit into it, and decided that it wasn't quite as hot as I would have liked, so, I put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. (Keep in mind, this was a peeled egg I had bitten into already!)

I took it out of the microwave, let it cool for 10 seconds, and started to bite into it. As I bit into it, I heard steam escaping and I had just enough time to think "this can't be good" as the egg exploded into my lip. It burned like ****, and I had a lovely blister that made me look diseased for a few days... :P

So, my advise? Don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
You don't!

I did the same thing when I was in high school. I even nocked off the top of the egg and cooked it upright in a cup, thinking that the top opening on the egg would release the steam.

I even let it cool for a about 15 seconds, it looked ok, so I stuck my fork in and it exploded in my face, just like you said. "Egg on my face," suddenly had a whole different meaning. Oy, did it burn. I ran to the bathroom and splashed and splashed cold water on my face - luckily no blisters, but I'm very pale, and I looked like I had freckles - for a couple days. Yikes!!

Considering how quickly you can boil an egg on the stove, I really do not recommend trying to boil an egg in the microwave. It's just not worth it.

I don't know if the water would stay hot enough, but if you wanted to try it, you could boil a mugful of water and then drop the egg in and let it sit covered with a saucer for 10 to 20 minutes (outside of the microwave).
j45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #5  

OMG, just the thought of it exploding into the mouth - ouch, ouch, ouch!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I tried to make scrambled eggs once in the microwave. It wasn't pretty. I had to throw away the plate I tried to cook it on.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I cook all my eggs in the microwave. I'm SOO lazy. But they are always beaten and they never explode. My sister used to just dump the egg whole into the bowl and it would pop egg out into the microwave. But I mix mine, so it seems not to happen when you get the yolk and the albumen mixed together.

I'm going to go eat some eggs now.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:41 AM   #8  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

LOL, I once ruined a microwave at college trying to hard boil an egg - just an egg, in its shell, in a bowl, for 1 1/2 minutes. It didn't smell pretty and it blew the door open when it exploded.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #9  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Ouch! Im glad you decided to laugh about it I hope youre not in pain though!

Umm.. after reading everyones stories Im starting to wonder if they should put warnings on the egg carton boxes! Im suddenly more so relieved that I dont use a microwave because i would have probably been able to share my story with you guys if I did.. but seriously, I bet lots of people try this - maybe carton labels would be a good idea..
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

wow - that sucks. i can't even imagine...

i will give you all another microwave hint though - never ever ever forget to put water in a cup o' noodle. oh the carnage...
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I know a cook who microwaved an egg at a busy truck stop when the kitchen staff was too overloaded to take the time to boil the water. It didn't go off until the driver cracked it. One VERY mad trucker. One VERY mad manager. One eighteen year old cook, who wasn't fired, with a great story to tell.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #12  

Every microwave I ever had, came with a manual that warned about cooking eggs - guess it shows me how nerdy I am (to actually read the manual).

Even when I cooked the egg that exploded, I had read the manual "cook book" that had come with my parents microwave, warning against cooking eggs in the shell (and to cook other styles of eggs very carefully, as directed). I thought I had "outsmarted" the book author, by thinking that cutting off the top of the egg before cooking would help.

I did make scrambled eggs in the microwave quite a bit, and you really do need to stir a few times during cooking to make a decent quality scrambled eggs. Without stirring, they don't explode, but the consistency is about that of rubber (and they cook fast, so they can ruin the dish is you cook it too long, or don't wash the bowl soon after eating).