Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Default Question for the 20-smoething MOMS!!!

Hey ladies --

I could really post this anywhere on the site, but since you've all had babies more recently than some others, you might be more familiar with what's out there right now...

My cousin is having a baby. She's pretty young and it was VERY unexpected. The dad (her boyfriend) is really supportive, and her dad is supportive as well. Her mom and brother are another story...very disappointed and the whole nine yards. ANYWAY -- her baby shower is coming up. Luckily, I live near some baby-type store outlets and have been able to grab some really cheap onesies, blankets, towels, and other things that you can never have enough of.

What I am wondering is....if you wouldn't mind, would you make a list of things/products you absolutely LOVED and COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT when you had your babies and things that you definitely thought were unnecessary?? I really want to be able to get her a great shower gift (or more than one) because I have some extra money that is "fun money" for me, but she would really really need. She DOES have a registry, but it's not very long and a lot of the stuff is totally unnecessary novelty items, and I think she's really underestimating what she'll need for basics.

So far I've heard these:

LOVED:
Boppy
Swaddle-me's
Diaper Genie

UNECESSARY:
Wipe warmer

Thanks in advance, lovelies!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

You could get her a supply of baby shampoo, lotion, body wash, diapers, etc. Stuff we run out of and need every day is nice to have around!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofarq View Post
You could get her a supply of baby shampoo, lotion, body wash, diapers, etc. Stuff we run out of and need every day is nice to have around!
that's one of my favorite baby gifts to give (although I'm not a mom). I take a plastic basket/carrier that could go in a bathroom and fill it with shampoos, body washes, baby balm, powder, ointment, bedtime bath and lots of washcloths (like, a LOT). I also like to pack the baby towels with the cute animal heads that you use to wrap em and dry 'em
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm not a mom - but I was a nanny for a baby who's dad was in Iraq and who's mom was on bed rest the first six months. So she was pretty much my responsibility! I found that I used the baby carrier harness thing MUCH more than the stoller when we went for walks - and especially for folding laundry and stuff when she was first born. It really helped with cooking dinner, and needing to use your hands and hold her at the same time and she loved it a LOT more than those table top bouncers. And her boppy was GREAT - But after about 2 1/2 months - this was my favorite thing we had

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2901113

Though it's a bit earlier for that yet!

Good luck with your shopping ideas!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #5  
Supermom

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9

I couldnt live without my bundleboo wrap. The more popular brand is The Moby Wrap. It allows you to wear your baby. I loved mine and used it almost everyday. Since my daughter is older now, i moved on to a different style carrier called a mei tai, but i love that one too. We're also just now (12 months later) running out of baby shampoo and wash that we received from my shower and that was a real blessing. Also, we received a million and one tiny outfits but really appreciated the bigger ones, 3-6 months, etc in weather approptiate colors and thickness. It saved us some money in the long run. I adored our baby papasan as it vibrated and really helped our daughter when she was super upset. Most of the "novelty" stuff we got has since made its way to Salvation Army. Oh! And SOCKS! In all sizes! My daughter goes through socks like coca cola. I'll look down and one (or both!) are missing. Thats all I can think of right now!
nullgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

baby wipes!!! I buy a whole case at WalMart and give those at showers. I don't have kids, but I have lots of nieces and nephews, and I work with 3 and 4 year olds.
Also, sippy cups, diaper cream, baby thermometer, one of those "booger sucker" things (I think they're actually called nasal aspirators, lol), Dr. Brown baby bottles--those bottles are great! Wayyyy less spit up.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #7  

Bibs, burp rags, hats, socks, diapers (in bigger sizes), diaper changing pads (great for travel) -- Basically anything you buy clothes, etc. I thought was nicer in larger sizes -- everyone seems to give newborn (my kids were both over 10 lbs and 23 inches so the newborn stuff was a waste of money), car sun shades are great too. A sleep positioner, to keep them on their back/sides. How about a bath tub filled with soaps, washclothes, etc.? And, I totally agree with the carrier, your arms get tired totting the little bodies and you can get stuff done too!!

I'm back -- I forgot -- depending when she is due and where you live -- these weren't available when I had my kids -- but those covers for the baby carrier that zip up to keep them warm -- I love them!!

And, a travel play pen/crib -- great for visiting other people but giving the baby a safe place to sleep.

Last edited by shelby897; 07-06-2008 at 12:39 AM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #8  
I just need motivation.

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 7 inches

YES get her a boppy pillow! Not a mom, but cared for my niece the first month of her life and she slept like a baby in her boppy pillow. They are great because they can't roll out of them or anything.
illbehotoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!!

I have gotten her a bunch (like...10-15!! ha!) onesies...most of which are in the 3-9 month size ranges. My mom said that babies grow out of newborn sizes in like..2 weeks so i figured that was pointless. I did also get one of those towels with the hood to bathtime -- it's an alligator and SO SO CUTE!!

I'm definitely writing this stuff down!! I'm taking a trip to Target soon, and that's near the baby outlets, so I'll definitely grab some more stuff!!

If you think of more, just add!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #10  
Haley wants to run!

my daughter loved to me in a swing that moved front and back or side to side and it had a mobile with fish that moved around and on the tray it had fish for the baby to play. as a single mom i needed something to keep kate occupied so i could do housework and she loved it.
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I don't have children, but when my fiance's cousin was expecting, we got her a collection of little onesies (slightly too big for a newborn, so she could use them when the baby was 3 - 5 months, since we figured she probably had millions of infant outfits - which she DID in the end). We also got her bibs, towels and the like and a little chair the baby could sit in that can then transform into a chair for an older child when she grows up a bit. We both liked that his cousin could use all of our gifts for months/years, esp. the chair.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #12  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I second the swing that moves from side to side. Both my kids LOVED this and would take little cat naps in there in the afternoon.
Also, matress pads, if they spit up in the middle of the night you don't have to change the entire sheet, just the pad that sits on top of the sheets.
I would have hard a hard time living without my bouncy seat too.
SOme of these bigger baby items might be found cheap at garage sales of second hand stores. Most of the are hard plastic that can easily be wiped down and sanitized. Most of them have removeable covers that can be washed.
This is a very nice thing you are doing for your cousin.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I loved a bouncy seat. Something with a toy bar attached and music playing or noise. Try to find one with vibrations. It will help put a fussy baby to sleep. My oldest child had reflux and could only sleep in a semi upright position so she pretty much slept in that thing for the first three months of her life.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  
No description available.

I loved the wipey warmer. Never had a boppy though, so goes to show how everyone is different!

I couldn't have lived without a sling. There are so many lovely ones out there now.

I also recommend books: anything by Dr. Sears. Also, Nursing Mother's Companion by Higgins, if she plans to breastfeed.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #15  

Another thing -- that little jumping thing that hooks over doorways (johnny jump up or something like that) was awesome for my second -- he loved it and he was so cute to watch (For the older babies!!).

What I love is that the smaller/younger the baby, the more their stuff overtakes your house!! Cribs, bouncy seats, swings, etc.

Last edited by shelby897; 07-06-2008 at 12:24 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote