Old 07-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default How many hours a week do you work?

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd job. It's gonna stink cause it will take my social life ( not that I have a big one now ) but I live pay check to paycheck, and I want to be able to save some money to move up.....not just stand still. What can I look for? 15 extra hours a week? 20? This would be in addition to working 40 at my full time job.

Does anyone hear have a 2nd part time job? What do you do for the 2nd job?

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 07-04-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: made an oops!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

You work 80 hours per week and want to add 15-20 more??? Wow. I could not physically do that! I admire your work ethic, but maybe you could find another way? Do you have a college degree? If not, you could pursue that and perhaps end up in a higher paying job. I realize that would be an additional expense...

But for something extra, perhaps you could do partylite candles or Pampered chef or something like that?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
You work 80 hours per week and want to add 15-20 more??? Wow. I could not physically do that! I admire your work ethic, but maybe you could find another way? Do you have a college degree? If not, you could pursue that and perhaps end up in a higher paying job. I realize that would be an additional expense...

But for something extra, perhaps you could do partylite candles or Pampered chef or something like that?
sorry. it's 40 hrs a week. 80hrs each paycheck....I'm just use to seeing the 80 there.

I don't have a college degree, but have been working in accounting for the last 10 years, and in the same place. I never really wanted to get into accounting tho. What I would really like to do is work part time and be a mommy, but, I'd like a guy first. In the meantime, I gotta make a living, and really really don't want to live at home in order to save money. Best way to do that, would be to get a part time job,....I'm also thinking if I'm exposed to more ppl my age, I may end up FINALLY meeting someone...
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I personally work a 45-50 hour week (one job), but I get a lot PTO to make up for it. I think I work too much now (even with getting PTO). I'm lucky to make enough to support myself comfortably and save too. If I did have to get a part time job, I would look at a book store or something like Bath & Body Works or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Or maybe a mall store too.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #5  

Phew... I was really a little worried about the 80 hours thing!

How old are you? I have been teaching for 13 years now, but before that my primary jobs were waiting tables with a little bartending thrown in. I did it on the side (summers and weekends) the first 3 years or so of teaching while I was paying off student loans. That's not how I met my husband, though. That was a blind date! I'm a late bloomer - we didn't meet until I was 33 and we married when I was 36!

Anyway, what part time jobs could you pursue... let's see...

-working in a gym or fitness center
-restaurants (waitress, hostess, bartender, cook)
-retail
-do you live near a theme park or anything historical?
-selling (Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, etc.)
-pet sitting/house sitting

What job ideas do you have?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I worked two part time jobs when i had a full time uni course to do....
uni took 15 hours of lectures, and the additional time to do the assignments at home (10+ per week)....
i worked 18 hours as a shop assistant....
and 21 hours as a computer engineer....

doing this for three years made me seriously ill twice....
same illness....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #7  
LeylandMiniChick

S/C/G: 211/199/132

Height: 159cm

my fiancee is a chef and works 15 hours a day, 5 days a week. i work 40 hours a week and am going for a second job interview tomorrow.
there are plenty of admin jobs around here in australia so maybe you could find one over there too? alot of real estate agents are after saturday receptionists and typists.
swae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've always wanted a part-time job at a coffee shop... some place cute and quirky with fun music and art. I thought that's what I would do this summer, on top of the part-time job that I had while finishing school (20 hours a week). I do love my current job, though.. I work in receiving at a department store (Macy's) and it's a lot of fun. I stay active (unloading the trucks is hard work!) and I get to see all the new clothes before everyone else. I get that good feeling from helping the customers, without actually having to talk to any of them, haha. It satisfies my urges to arrange and organize things.

(I'm going into a Ph.D. program in the fall and hope to work in academia some day, so I decided to use up some of my savings this summer and only work the one job, since I'll probably be working insane hours for the rest of my life. )
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #9  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Hm... I work around 40 hrs a week, sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less. But I'm salaried at 40 hrs with time and a half when I work over that.

If you're already working 40 hrs I would start with 15 hrs/week for the second job. I say this because we often have a tendency to bite off more than we can chew and if you commit to 20 hrs a week but find working 60 hrs a week grueling, you'll be stuck for a while. Also, really sit and do the math to see whether what you would be making working this extra time is really WORTH the time itself... I had a similar experience working 2 jobs, but the second was for $6/hr, 15 hours a week which even before taxes is less than $100/week. It wasn't worth the hassle, so I quit eventually.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #10  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I sell real estate for a living (yes, it's slowed down, no i'm not quitting!) and that is anywhere from 20-60 hours per week - depending on the week. I work part time as a Vet Tech for 15-25 hours per week.

In the fall I'm starting teaching (6th grade world history) for probably 50 hours per week (including working from home time) and keeping part time at the vet clinic for 5 hours/week. I'll also be doing real estate for approximately 15 hours/week.

I love all my jobs. That's my first plus. I actually have a great income for someone my age - but am nervous about the economy- hence the switch from full time real estate to teaching and making real estate part time. I'm keeping the vet job both because I love it - and who can't use a few extra bucks for working 5 hours each Saturday morning? And...reduced costs for my pets
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #11  

Gator -- good luck with the teaching! I hope you love it!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #12  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

Height: 5'4"

am going to be starting my teaching certificate program soon and will be either working as a teacher's aid or substituting in addition to a second job. I am currently waiting tables for the summer and am going to begin looking for a different job soon i think. We shall see. I don't like having to working multiple jobs, but these days it seems like the only way. I absolutely understand what you mean about wanting to get ahead! Good luck to you!!
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I work about 50 hours a week. I spend a lot of time working from home in the evenings and weekends since I'm at clients sites and on the road during most work hours (I average about a week and a half a month in hotels). Plus I'm taking a distances studies class; which adds about 7 hours of work to my schedule. Plus I volunteer with girl guides (I'm a brownie leader) which occupies about a night and a half a week.

I could use the extra money and if work and life wasn't so busy I would totally go back to waitressing 1 or 2 nights a week. I was a waitress and bartender for several years and I loved it. I loved working with people my own age, and the built in social life was fantastic. I'd really love to go back to waitressing. But I don't think i could balance everything. I have been thinking about getting a roommate to help out with some bills and souch, but I think I've become to accustomed to living to my own.

If you're looking for a job with built in social life and to meet lots of ppl your own age I'd reccommed waitressing. It's physical, fun and the tips usually aren't bad.

Last edited by shantroy; 07-04-2008 at 11:18 AM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #14  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I actually just got a second job and started last weekend.

My full time job is 35 hours a week (I get paid for 35 hours.. the extra i put in is just banked time i have to take off later). I'm in economic development office where I coordinate tourism development. I LOOOVE my job. but with the weight loss my entire wardrobe... didnt work anymore.

So I work weekends at a women's clothing store part time. I took the job for the 50% employee discount.. at the store and it's 4 affiliates. I was hitting such a low having no great clothing to wear -- I was really missing my SW clothing wardrobe because it didnt make me look like a slob! I work about 20 hours per week on friday/sat/sun with the 2nd job.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #15  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

For a while i was working 2 full time jobs! Man does that take a lot of time. Now i work one full time job and one part time job. As my part time job i am a Pure Romance Consultant. I LOVE IT. You make your own hours. You are your own boss and get to make extra cash while having fun. Other wise i would suggest maybe a gas station? or waitressing
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote