Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #1  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Belly Dance, Anyone?

I went to my first belly dance class today. I've always wanted to try it, and I thought it might add some variety to my exercise routine, which at the moment consists mostly of hiking.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I LOVED it! For one thing, unlike most dance instructors in Boulder, CO (land of the bombshell triathlete), my instructor actually has a sizable belly. For another thing, there are women of all shapes and sizes in the class, and the moves were so strong and sensual and fun. I came away feeling 100 times better about my body, and sore in brand new places!

Just thought I'd share with y'all in case you want to add a little shimmy to your workouts!

Last edited by UrsusMaritimus; 06-29-2008 at 10:45 PM.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Word! Belly dancing is GREAT fun, great for strengthening those core muscles, makes you feel sexy and the music's great too! It's all good!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #3  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Does this use a lot of back muscles? Would I be able to do it with a back injury. I can't bend over, stand up from sitting down like a normal person either...any movement in my spine forward or backwards is excruciating...
Think i'd be able to do it? * might be a dumb question * but I've never seen it done but on tv and well ya know how tv is... thanks!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #4  
Yarp.

I don't know enough about it yet to know, but I'd bet you could call any instructor to find out. In my class there was a lot of emphasis on posture to protect the back.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #5  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

OMG! Great post. I took my first belly dance class last summer and really enjoyed how it made me feel and MAN is it a workout?! but it makes you feel so sexy and have you moving your body in ways you didn't know you could move! It really makes you sweat too. I love the music too. I went to Barnes & Nobles bookstore and bought a belly dance cd and bought a hip wrap from class to practice once session was over. There are also plenty of bellydance dvd's out (I actually just finished working out to one a few minutes ago). Google belly dancer Jillina, she has red hair and really curvy. Her dvd is great!!
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #6  
Yarp.

Ooo, I'm gonna look for Jillina. I also like "Belly Dance: Basics and Beyond" with Jenna (I like how belly dancers only use their first names). It's not a workout DVD per se, but a beginner's lesson on form and isolations and some practice combinations. At the end, there's a choreography where she puts everything together. Jenna's instructions are very clear and your muscles will hurt by the end. GREAT DVD.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I've been meaning to go and try this out!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: See tracker

They have these classes at the gym I go to but I never actually had the guts to walk in and try it. You can hear the music from across the room and it sounds interesting. I know it involves a lot of shaking and I don't think I can do that right now, I shake as I walk as it is so.. lol
I do want to give it a try someday when I'm a little 'firmer'
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

I so want to try this! My mom wanted to do this years ago and I never gave it a second thought- lol Now I'm wishing I had!
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote