Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Unhappy My chair broke at work!

Hi everyone, I'm pretty embarrassed. I was sitting in my chair doing my work minding my own business when I reached over to pick something up and I heard the snap in the chair. It's been getting stuck and I knew it was just a matter of time. I've only been working here for two months, so this is not good.

This is how I handled it, I was in a wreck on Friday and I had to leave early because my neck and shoulder was hurting. I went into the conference room and got another chair it has more support. When my boss was looking for the "missing chair" I just told him that I needed a chair with more support. My other chair doesn't look broken and I just put it to the side for now. Not sure how to tell him, but I know I'm keeping this nice sturdy conference chair for a while.

I work in an office with all guys and I don't think they'll understand and for sure not be sensitive. I mean on Friday I was crying because I was so upset about my wreck and they were just like you can go home if you need to.

I know that I'm big, but I've never had a chair break before. This makes me feel not good about myself and I'm already feeling down. Any suggestions?
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am sorry you broke the chair. That hurts. Just know that you are working on these issues and it won't be long until this is just a sad memory.

I would definitely let someone know about the chair so no one else gets hurt or embarrassed.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #3  
I will do this.

This might make you feel better: One of my friends has a little girl about 3. I want over to his house for a bbq and the little girl wanted to play "tea"....so I sat my big @ss in this little tiny wooden chair and played....only when it was time to get up some of my cheek had gotten stuck between the wood panels and the arm rest.....so her father (my best friend) and my fiancee had to take apart the chair (with me in it!) to free me. Needless to say the daughter had a fit about the chair and my butt was sore the rest of the evening and my face was red for a week!!!

I hope this story made you smile - and don't worry about the chair!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #4  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Tell them you think a screw or nail or something is loose in the old chair, as it's been wobbling pretty badly.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Awww...bless your heart. I always have that fear when I go places......I am just waiting for the day it happens to me. Stay strong and dont let it bother you, or try anyway. Just tell yourself there are other things in life that are more important to worry about, if you can. I am sorry you had to go through that.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Oh oh I have a story to share as well! When I was in High School I was 140 kg (309 lbs). Luckily I was free of the whole popular mentality in High School, pretty much because the mentality does not take exist in Cyprus' High School. I was also the school's key solo singer and in the Class Presidents' Team so ok not much taunting on my weight. Yet it happened.

There were some ceremonies were the whole school would gather and see the program. It involved dancing, singing etc. My singing group and I were singing Bouzouki music (and for anyone that does not know, the musicians and singers are all seated). I am singing a song when out of the blue, the plastic chair I am sitting on, breaks, I land with a 'thump' and the chair's front left foot rises up front and lands on the Headmaster's lap.

I stood up, took a bow, un-dusted my skirt and said "And that is why the school board should consider replacing our plastic seats with wooden ones".

My words are still commented upon. Yet, however cool I was that moment , I wanted for hole to open for me to crawl in.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even tiny people can break a chair. I know that's not a lot of consolation, but it can and does happen. When a skinny person breaks a chair - it's the chairs fault, but when a rounder person breaks a chair it's the person's fault? No! "Stuff" happens.

I know that doesn't take away the embarassment of the moment, and the horrid part of embarassment is that when you remember the event, you experience the embarassment all over again, almost equally intensely.

I know it's controversial, but fat acceptance rhetoric really helped me a lot. I am a wonderful person and just because I don't "fit" into this world, doesn't mean I have to be ashamed of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to break chairs, but I am able to take "not fitting" in stride and even laugh about it (most of the time).

I only broke one chair, at a friends home. After I'd fallen on my butt. My friend tells me that the chair had a weak leg, and she'd kept telling her husband to fix it. I laughed and said "you let the fat lady sit on the chair with a bad leg?" She said she didn't want to embarass me by pointing out that the chair had a bad leg. I laughed and told her how the embarassment of being told about the bad leg was pretty minor compared to the embarassment of landing on the floor amidst splintered wood. We had a really funny and nice talk about such things. She admitted that she would have warned a thin friend. I told her I know that many fat people are sensitive about acknowledging their size, but that I wasn't, and would much rather she'd been honest than worry about sparing my feelings (especially if the consequences of being silent were potentially dangerous).

Still, chairs that don't fit can be embarassing, and funny. I've sat on plastic lawn chairs where one of the legs will bend slightly and dump me on the ground. The chair isn't really broken, I just compare it to a horse that has bucked me off. The same plastic chair during a 4th of July party at my folks, held me very well, except the lawn was damp. It was dark and I was distracted by the fireworks and didn't notice that the chair was sinking, for quite some time. When I did notice, I should have gotten up, but I didn't and by the end of the evening it took three of us to pull the chair out of the ground. Luckily, it was only family. Although maybe I should say unluckily because a 4th of July hasn't gone by that someone doesn't retell the story. Still, everyone, including me, ends up laughing so hard tears run down our faces.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Smile It's okay!

I don't think I've ever had an experience with breaking a chair, but I have broken springs in a couch before! I know that it seems horrible now, but doesn't that give you more motivation to keep going? Soon those guys at work will have to be sensitive to you-- they'll all want to date you! ^_^

And didn't you say the chair was already breaking anyways? I suggest that you tell your boss that your chair is unstable and that you'd like a new one, if you can't keep the one you already have now. I'm sorry about your wreck as well. But you've pulled through both of these things! Look how strong you already are! Keep your motivation and laugh off these things. I know I feel horrible at work when I'm cleaning tables and I can't get through because my booty is so wide... all the other girls can just walk right through... -_- Anyways, you'll be okay. Don't let this bring you down, huh?

GravityDefying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Thank you all for your kind encouragement. I really appreciate it. Still haven't told my boss yet, he's been too busy.... They are all like super skinny and it's hard. I'll try to make a joke out of it or something, but today is not the day to even try to joke about it.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #10  
One Day At A Time...

S/C/G: 225/195/160

Height: 5'5"

Hey don't worry about it. You don't have to make a joke out of it if you don't think it's funny. But don't be ashamed either. You didn't break the chair, the chair broke itself. I mean, you did say that it was always getting stuck, so technically you had a faulty chair to begin with. I just hope no one gave you the crappy chair on purpose. Because that would require a swift kick in the you know whatz.

Try to take your embarrassment in stride. We all get embarrassed; it's a part of life. I've bent the legs of quite a few plastic chairs and I've sat on beds where the coils got pressed so far down that they didn't spring up till about two minutes after I got off of it. Seriously, I was walking around my bed and "Boing!" it was back to normal. I've since gotten rid of that bed and have gotten a better bed. So just get a better chair.
Kaethus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

Who hasn't broken a chair? or, been in the dressing room, trying something on, and heard that "riiiippppp" and hope that no one else (who works there, for that matter!) heard it as well!?! Yes, it is soooo embarrassing and I think it hurts the pride more than anything..but we are HERE, and we are doing something about our situations. Think of how funny the story will be when it can be told about in the very, very past tense:-)

Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #12  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

That is like everyone's greatest fear---- but the funny thing is is that it is a fairly common occurrence for mass produced pieces of furniture to break (no matter what it is and/or who is using it). Also, everyone gets embarrassed by different things-- you aren't the only one who feels a bit embarrassed and in an akward situation---- it's life, it happens.
You deserve to have a comfortable chair to sit in, so I would keep that sucker. As for the other chair--- let whomever you need to let know that that poorly made piece of **** broke and that you are going to keep the one that isn't so fragile thankyouverymuch.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #13  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetyladyserenity View Post
I stood up, took a bow, un-dusted my skirt and said "And that is why the school board should consider replacing our plastic seats with wooden ones".
Wow! That took some prescence of mind to think up of such a witty thing to say during such an akward incident! I can only wish I was that quick to quip!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've broken a chair. Why don't you get one of your skinny co-workers to sit in it and let them think they broke it? I'm only halfway kidding
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #15  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

im really sorry about what happend. let me tell you something you see when things like this happend you stay strong you say to youself this why i want to lose weight i don't want that a to happend to me no more and you take that embarrassment to the gym you work it out and you going to eat something you not suppose to you think about that broking chair . in your weight loss journey you going to have good motivation and bad motivation , take the broking chair as the bad one it work's for me i think it will do the same for you . good luck
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote