Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #16  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

You are definitely on-point. For me, it's because the people in my life ask me - "What are you this week?" - not asking my WEIGHT, but how much I've lost so far. I'm always nervous that if it's a 1 or 2 lb week they will think I've cheated! I know - I have to get over this!!
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #17  

Great post, thank you for the reminder!
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

VERY true! I'm so happy someone has said it because this past week I stepped on the scale, and it said I was down a pound. Stepped on it again 2 minutes later, and it said I was up 5lbs! The scale hates me, and I hate it. I made a pact with myself that I will not step on the scale again until April 1st and the 1st of every month ONLY.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #19  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

If I cared about the scale this much in 2005-2007 I would have not gained 55 lbs, so I sort of disagree due to that.

However, I am a bit of a scale junky now, It has been 6 months and I have only lost 13 lbs.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #20  

You are so right! I used to never weigh myself, in fact I didn't even own a scale until about 6 months ago. I stepped on the scale at my mom and dad's house and was very surprised and disappointed in the number that it showed, so I went out and bought one of my own and started this journey towards better health. I was really good for awhile, weighing myself only once a week. THEN, I got it in my head that I NEEDED to weigh myself everyday. Lately I have been so unmotivated and feeling crappy about myself because of the number that is on the scale every day. I am more focused on what the scale says than how I feel or what I am doing to get there.

I would love to join the challenge and go scale free for a month, I think it would really help get me back on track! I am doing the Live Healthy America 100 day challenge, and that is over in a couple of weeks. After that I think it's going sans scale for a while.
Sister of the groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #21  

You are so right. I don't even own a scale and I'm not sure what I do weigh. I know I would completely obsess over it if I had a scale in my bathroom. I know aproxamitley and that is good enough for me. I have never been really small so I don't even know what I would come close to weighing at my smallest so that's just one stress I'm not going to put on myself. And I know that for me that is the best thing.
Fox2508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

I think for me, the reason i rely on the scale to determine my success is because i have such body image issues. I look in the mirror, and still see myself at 200 lbs. I have no concept of how i really look. i still feel awful and huge. i see fat rolls that aren't there and i see myself much wider than i really am and have little control over this. but, when i know the number on the scale, i know how much closer i am to "normal". it helps me keep motivated when i feel lousy and huge.
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

I TOTALLY needed to read that! I was just about to post a rant about TOM 8lbs that magically appeared overnight weight gain! I put it on my current weight, cause I want to "hold myself accountable" and post weight gains as well as losses. But yes, it is not a fat gain and has NOTHING to do with my healthy lifestyle. I didn't realize how obsessed with the scale I had been. I had a great week of strength training and eating healthy and this was the FIRST Easter EVER where I actually ate well enough to feel satisfied and not stuffed or bloated. I use the scale because it seems like the tool that you are "supposed" to use to measure success. But you are completely right, it is not a very helpful success/failure measurement tool, it causes WAY more frustration and obsession than is helpful. Thanks for the inspiration...you have riled up this dieter!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrition junkie View Post
I think for me, the reason i rely on the scale to determine my success is because i have such body image issues. I look in the mirror, and still see myself at 200 lbs. I have no concept of how i really look. i still feel awful and huge. i see fat rolls that aren't there and i see myself much wider than i really am and have little control over this. but, when i know the number on the scale, i know how much closer i am to "normal". it helps me keep motivated when i feel lousy and huge.
That is a very interesting point! I remember losing 20lbs awhile ago and everyone could see it, but me. I felt the same then as I do now. In that case I see how the scale would serve to remind you of how far you've come. I read on another post that our bodies change faster then our brain can keep up, so it takes awhile to see the truth...by the way, you look FABULOUS! I can't wait to be the size you are now!!!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgirl View Post
That is a very interesting point! I remember losing 20lbs awhile ago and everyone could see it, but me. I felt the same then as I do now. In that case I see how the scale would serve to remind you of how far you've come. I read on another post that our bodies change faster then our brain can keep up, so it takes awhile to see the truth...by the way, you look FABULOUS! I can't wait to be the size you are now!!!
I've heard that too, about our bodies changing faster than our minds. I just wish mine would hurry and catch up! haha i have a trip planned for when i reach my goal weight, and it involves prancing around vegas hotel pools in a tiny bikini with my weight loss buddy, i'm going to need the confidence and/or lots of liquor to be able to do so Thanks so much for the compliments! You will get there and look fabulous yourself, just keep up the good work and your wonderful attitude!
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 150/139.5/120

Height: 5' 4"

I agree. As annoying as it is to not have my daily weigh-ins, NSVs are so much better anyways. Watchign my weight sit at 140 for three weeks was unbearable, so much so I didn't even notice I dropped back down a pants size! And really, that comes up in life so much more often than exact weight, and is jsut generally such a better thing. I haev GOT to stay away from scale obsession.
freshman15 is offline   Reply With Quote