Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #1  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Default Even my liver is fat!

So I go to the doctor a few weeks back to see how I am doing health wise. I just want to stay in tune with my body that way I know if anything is going wrong....

I was experiencing alot of abdominal pain which is the MAIN reason I initially went in. They did lab work and ordered an ultrasound for me.

The lab work came out pretty good. He just recommended of course that I lose weight and excercise a little more to get my good cholesteral up, but otherwise all the findings were good

In the ultrasound, he found that I have a fatty liver. I didn't talk to him personally but the nurse said that this can't be the reason why I have this discomfort (although on the American Liver FOundation it says that it can cause discomfort). They want to do a test on my liver functions in a month.

Hopefully in a month, I'll be able to show hey, I am making a conscious effort to make myself healthy and it really sucks that it took me being in some pain to come to that realization.

We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Best of luck! I hope everything turns out to be alright!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

I didn't know a liver could be fat. Wow.
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #4  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I also had fat show up on my liver on an ultrasound. I was having pain on my right side of my belly and to this day I have not found a cause. I hope it's reversable. I hope you feel better soon.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #5  
Vegan from Planet Vega

I've done some reading over it and the main thing that is being stressed is "lose weight...safely" and up my triglycerides. According to some of the things I've read, there are no surgery or drug that can reverse or help it. It's all on what I can do to make it better. So of course losing weight is a no brainer. Same with no drinking....which sucks because my 21st is coming up soon.

My doctor wants me to go back in a month and get blood tests done AGAIN to see if my liver functions are okay.

We'll see
Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #6  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

My dad had this too. They said it was from drinking half and half (yuck!) and eating so much ice cream. He was overweight, but not obese, and they literally said that was what it was from.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/222/150

Height: 5'10"

Smile huh?

FATTY LIVER??? wow...I have never heard of that. Im sure if something else on my body could be fat though, my liver is probably included in that category.

Best Wishes on finding the problem!
lizziek24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

I hope you feel better soon!!
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #9  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

It looks like you're doing great so far! Keep up the good work!
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #10  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

wow, well thats a motivator to drop pounds, sheesh I'd never heard of that either. I hope your abdominal pains will go away soon!
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 6

as an ultrasound tech, I see lots of fatty livers! Most of my patients come in complaining of abdominal pain. In order to reverse the condition you HAVE to lose the weight. If you don't, you could eventually kill off your liver and go into liver failure. I've seen this many times. If you do nothing, you'll probably need a liver transplant.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

What a scary thing to go through when you are so young! I hope you start feeling better soon. Keep taking care of yourself and I am sure things will get better.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #13  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiK View Post
as an ultrasound tech, I see lots of fatty livers! Most of my patients come in complaining of abdominal pain. In order to reverse the condition you HAVE to lose the weight. If you don't, you could eventually kill off your liver and go into liver failure. I've seen this many times. If you do nothing, you'll probably need a liver transplant.
Believe me...it's tons more motivation to get this weight off. Because I was reading that it could just get worse and worse...