Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Breathe Me: In my opinion Fat Smash is brilliant....you should never ever do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life!

FatSmash sets you up with habits that are easy to follow for the rest of your life! Highly recomend that diet!

If I were you I would set challenges, one by one make them a part of your life. Eating regularly. Enjoying Vegetables and fruit. Try cut all high sugar beverages out of your life. Fat Smash helps you make these habits, but they can be added with any diet plan.

I counted calories for about 3 months, it really helped educate me about portions and good choices when eating out etc etc. Stopped calorie counting about 2 months ago, and i have since lost 7 kilos (about 14 lbs?) over summer, through my formed habits, and more active lifestyle! Thats without trying!

BLah im rambling! Anyway, I really do suggest that you write out all your reasons, rewrite them so that rather than:
I want to be able to look in the mirror and not hate the person that I see.
it is:
I can look in the mirror and not hate the person that I see.

Saying it to yourself will help! I promise! Do it!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Breath - As you see...most people who follow one diet plan or the next (mine included) will have a passion for "their" way. My point in posting "my eating regimen" was simply to provide you an example of what Atkins would be like...remember "All diets work if you follow them". As far as what "you" can live the rest of "your" life doing...well, I'm afraid that choice will be yours...and only yours. This is not a "one size fits all" thing when it comes to weight and nutrition...we all respond differently to different types of foods.

But whatever you decide to do...don't give up on the war! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Oh yea sorry I didnt mean to be saying your was wrong or anything...I was just saying that I think FatSmash is a great choice - because it sets u up for maintenence.

There is no one-size-fits-all! So mix and match, change it up, experiement and see what works for ya! Persoanlly im a more traditional kinda diet person, I believe in eating whole foods, moderation, portions, etc etc...although things such as the thermic effect of food (which is very important in atkins, protien is the BEST for speeding up ur metabolism) are also really important things to take into account!

The most important thing is what you said, not giving up on the war!
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #19  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

aww thanks Joyce!!! I really appreciate the motivation.

My problem is that phase one of fat smash your only suppose to eat fruits and veggies...I love fruits and veggies and I have no problem eating them..but I also like meat..doesn't have to be red meat..even if its fish and im good but you cant have that during phase 1. I know it only last 9 days but I cant seem to go the 9 days without having a lil bit of meat..which I know is bad..

I think i'm going to try the Atkins diet..sounds like its my kind of diet!!!
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #20  
banned

Oh yeah....did I mention COLLARD GREENS AND HAMHOCK/SMOKED TURKEY NECKBONES!!!!.....Yes! Just remember to leave out the potato! Although I grew up in the North (NYC), I was raised by Southern parents. That meant lots of greens, chicken and yes...FAT!!!! My parents had 7 kids and none of us grew up fat. If you travel to certain countries like France, you'll see a bunch of skinny people eating nothing but cream sauces, etc. I learned that FAT is not the enemy, but refined carbs are. I'm excited about Atkins cuz I can finally eat foods that I like and not feel restricted. I have chocolate bars (chocoperfection...sweetened with erythritol..a naturally occuring sugar usually found in grapes that have no impact on blood sugar), hot wings foods, cream sauces (my favorite is the seafood bisque soup...kinda like new england clam chowder...yummmmmy!), big salads with artichoke, olives, sprouts, a few cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken or any meat, a loads of creamy "full fat" blue cheese dressing (my favorite). It's almost like I can't believe I'm dieting!!!

But really...I don't think healthy eating should be torture! You may hear alot of people say..."yeah...you'll lose a ton of weight on Atkins, but you'll gain it all back..and then some"...If you get off ANY way of eating and start eating big mac and fries you'll gain the weight back. "Atkins is not fit for life"...bull...it sure is! As I mentioned earlier...after the first 2 weeks (induction)...you can add fruit (I ate fruit during induction, but only citrus and still lost 16 lbs in a little over a month!). But I wouldn't suggest you do this...as the first two weeks you are getting rid of cravings (naturally), you are turning your body into a "fat burning" machine instead of a "sugar/glucose burning machine)...You see...right now your body is converting all those carbs (fruits too) into glucose which is stored and burned for every bodily function. When you cut your carbs to 20g or less, your body will start burning stored fat and the fat you eat just for energy, to operate the liver, kidneys, everything.

My best advice...if you wanna check it out...go buy the book. I've been doing atkins for 10+ years so I know the book inside and out. But it was really important to me when I first started out. Also, there'a s low-carb thread (which I'm ususally on) where there's tons of recipes, advice, etc. When you combine Atkins with exercise (which I have started after about wk2 of the diet - I started with 10 min of the eliptical at home and now I'm up to 20 min eliptical or recumbent bike level 4)...you will see those pounds "fly" off...Joyce
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #21  
banned

I forgot to mention this...as an ad lib...
As proof that your body is now burning fat instead of carbs/sugars, there are these testing strips you can buy for about $5-6 bucks called Ketostix. When your body burns fat...it releases "Ketones" which are residue of burned fat. The ketones exit the body through your urine. After about 2-3 days on induction your body will go into this "fat burning mode" so..when you test yourself (pee onto the strips)...the strips will turn pink to purple. This is proof you are burning fat and I find it very motivating as well. Believe me...if those strips and pink/purple...you are definately burning fat! Not to gross you out...but when I first started Atkins...the first week, I would actually see an oily film in the twolet after I pee'd...gross, but I loved it! That meant, my body was getting rid of that nasty fat on my jelly thighs...yeah!!!! Okay..okay..I'm rambling...Wishing you the best girl...this is your year! Joyce
Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #22  

Fairy Sarah im still getting used to the layout of the forum..didn't see that you had posted anything. I agree with the fat smash and how it prepares you for lifestyle changes. Thats one of the reasons why I don't fully want to discard or discredit the diet.

Joyce, as far as the Atkins diet goes I decided that I'm going to get the book. I went to amazon and there's like 4 different versions of it. I'm not really sure which one to get. I'll read it and see if I like it.

I also like Sarah's idea of mixing the diets. But I don't know yet until I have the Atkins book.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #23  

Height: 5'5"

theres just no point and no use spending any more time feeling like i am not at my full potential. i owe it to myself to get there and see how i feel!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #24  

you do!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #25  
banned

Look for "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" that's the best Atkins book that will fully describe the diet. Let me know what you think...Joyce

BTW, I just bought "Ripped System..Limited Edition" I'll see if it helps me take my body to the next level???? I'll keep you all updated. Happy eatin and working out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe me View Post
Fairy Sarah im still getting used to the layout of the forum..didn't see that you had posted anything. I agree with the fat smash and how it prepares you for lifestyle changes. Thats one of the reasons why I don't fully want to discard or discredit the diet.

Joyce, as far as the Atkins diet goes I decided that I'm going to get the book. I went to amazon and there's like 4 different versions of it. I'm not really sure which one to get. I'll read it and see if I like it.

I also like Sarah's idea of mixing the diets. But I don't know yet until I have the Atkins book.