Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/205/149

Height: 5'7

Default The slump strikes again...

So my sister had to go out of state very suddenly on Saturday with her husband for a family emergency (his family). She asked if I could watch her two lil ones for a few days at her house. Usually I give myself a day off or two every week from working out so I don't burn out, but I try to stay on track. I know if I stop working out for more than a day I just won't feel like starting again. So I figured I would just give myself Saturday off and try to get right back on track on Sunday.

So now its 3 days later and I still haven't worked out. And to make things worse, not only is it my TOM, but the little weasels got me sick. Now I have strept throat, a kinda nasty cold, and a medium fever causing a very sore head and bad neck ache.

I've read that when you are sick, it's usually a good idea to stop working out and rest, or you may wear your body out fast and just feel even worse. But if I stop working out for a couple days, its hard for me to get back into it.

I need some words of encouragement please! Or at least a swift kick in the rear! Something!!
mandajuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/*ticker*/135

Height: 5'3"

I think you're right about needing rest. Working your body harder than it wants to will only make the sickness last longer and worse effects. We will be here to encourage you after you are better, however!
HappyMomma05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #3  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

Yeah, I've read that if you have a mild cold it's fine to go to the gym, but anything involving a fever you should just stay at home and rest. I know it sucks not to be able to go when you actually have the motivation!
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #4  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

You know what.. I haven't been in four days, and I feel guilty like MAD, so I can see where you're coming from.
But to be honest, maybe you should really take it easy for a few days, let yourself get a bit healthier before you really push yourself again.
How about you keep in touch with us about how you're feeling and once you're a bit better we'll throw a bunch of ENCOURAGEMENT at you to get heading back to the gym? It seems like your biggest fear is losing motivation to go...?

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/205/149

Height: 5'7

Mainly, when I work out I make it a part of my daily routine, so it becomes second nature and it isn't even something I think about. Once I step outside my routine and stop working out, it's hard for me to get back on track.

And I'm usually pretty good at making excuses to justify my not working out. I used to use my husband to motivate me. I would ask him to treat me like a little kid and take away "privileges" when I wouldn't work out for a while, but then I started ACTING like a little kid and would whine till he got annoyed and would leave me alone .

So I tried working out after I posted. I did 20 minutes on the stationary bike and got winded and coughed up a lung...I can normally do an hour. And after doing 2 sit ups I felt like my neck was going to snap off.

So I'm going to just suck it up and wait till this goes away. And if I have a problem getting off my rear when it comes time I'll come back for some motivating encouragement.

Thanks gals!

Last edited by mandajuned; 01-29-2008 at 10:01 PM.
mandajuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I must have read it somewhere on this board, it was something like: anything above the throat, you can exercise (not strenuously), anything under, you'd better not do it.

The kind of "exercise" I usually do when sick is walking outside a little, if only because I also don't like to remain in a "sick room" for days on end. Of course, this implies wearing appropriate clothing, and also depends on the illness and the fever; if standing for five minutes makes you feel like you're going to pass out, then it's best to stay home some more.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Yep, I'm with Keri and Jelbb (and everyone else) -- a little walk might do you good and get you out of that thick sick air, but I wouldn't push it. And yes it's HARD to get back, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE, and I'm sure you've done it before!! Use the boards, we'll help motivate you! In the meantime, suck down lots of hot beverages laced with garlic. I find this kills colds dead (isn't that a commercial from something?)
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote