Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #1  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

Default It's almost been a year. And I dont think I'll meet my goal. Failure?

So...almost a year ago (Nov. 26) i started my life change. Never before have I stuck with my weight loss until this time. I was really motivated and I amazed myself in what i accomplished.
I am proud
-of the 30 pounds that are gone
-that I no longer eat gross food all the time and I now opt for the good stuff.
-that I enjoy exercising.
-that I can walk up a flight of stairs without almost dying.
-that i wear smaller sizes now.

However, I said my goal was 150 and I gave myself a year to do it. Well...nov. 26th is just around the corner and I dont think i can drop 11 pounds by then. Even though I'm glad I got this far, I feel like a failure...like I could have done better and I SHOULD be to 150 by now! A year was more than enough time to lost 42 pounds....

Hmph.

Last edited by Newmala; 11-18-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #2  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

You have done amazing. Don't let the insignificance of a day on the calendar mess with your head and convince you that the progress you have made is anything short of excellent. If you want to be 150, you will get there eventually, and whether it takes another 2 months or another whole year really doesn't make much of a difference in the long run.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This is the craziness of setting a date-based goal. Even though you've accomplished something amazing, you feel like a failure rather than a success.

Change never comes easily or as quickly as people expect from themselves. To put it in perspective very few people will ever make it much past the first couple weeks before going back to old behaviors and gaining all of the weight back. You are in the top 5% (or fewer). This is an "A plus," not the "D minus" you are treating it as.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb At one point we will all feel this way

I think we tend to forget the years when we didn't meet a goal or live our lives the way we are now. How about that?

I look at some of your food plans and I think to myself so why are you following that food plan, you would have lost more by now? I am just at the early stages of my weight lose journey and I have had times when I question myself when I haven't met a short term goal because I chose to eat more than I "needed" to.

I have an end date for me to meet my weight goal of January 2009 but if I am losing steadily over 2008 and I haven't met my goal weight, I hope that I will remind myself of the good things that have stayed in my life and haven't left.

I do understand your frustration but are you at a healthy weight for your height? Have you had a physical lately? Are your "numbers":BMI, blood sugar, cholesterol, B/P, etc. are they where they should be?

I remember reading in Dr. Atkins book that he recommended that people first lose weight to attain "optimal health" then if they have acheived that, the rest is "cosmetic" and then it is a matter of personal choice. I liked that.

As you can see I have set a very low weight. I have been there but I averaged around 135-140 lbs most of the time when I was in high school. I was 125 lbs a few times but it was not easy to maintain. I was also in my 20s. Now, I am in my 50s. Of course, I would love to be that weight again but given my age and the fact that I have been obese for 25 years makes me wonder if it is "realistic" and if it is "possible". I don't know. I have decided that WHEN I reach my first "HEALTHY" weight where I have hit the BMI of 24.9% and I am 155 lbs. I will decide at that point if I want to continue or I want to maintain.

If I do this, I hope I am in the frame of mind that will "allow" myself to consider that as having "succeeded" as well. I have to remind myself that when I was at those lower weights I wasn't a very active person. Ironically, it was when I gained the weight that I became active. Partially because I had to be (I didn't have a car and had to walk everywhere). I have also been waiting to have the skin caliper test done and seen other very fit women getting measured and I was very surprised at how much they weighed.

Remember, if you are more muscle than fat, you will weigh more but you will not "look like it". Again, getting back to where I said I began walking and doing other physical activities out of necessity and ended up having more muscle as a result. At the peak of when I was my most active, most people could not believe how much I weighed. It always looked like I was about 35-40 lbs. less than what the scale said. Even diet counselors would mentino that.

This is an aspect of fitness that I don't hear mentioned on this site but it is also an important criteria to consider. It is not just about a number on the scale per se but how fit are you? I have read that there are people who are "thin" fatties; thin people who are actually carrying more body fat in ratio to their body composition. Ideally, you will want a balance of all of this. A weight that is healthy for your height and age. A weight that reflects how fit you are. Can you walk a brisk 12 min. mile? Can you touch your toes? How many ab crunches can you do? And, I think, most importantly, can you maintain this long term? To me, it is better to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life than to keep pursuing an artificially and difficult lower weight out of vanity or because we want to "fit" in with what the 1% of the population who is underweight and neither healthy nor fit by medical standards.

Is it possible that you are at a "good place" health-wise? Have you considered maintaining that weight for awhile? Four-six months? See how you feel about that weight? I don't hear too many people talk about that but wouldn't it be better to do that rather than get discouraged and possibly regain the weight you have worked so hard to lose just because you didn't meet a specific goal? My concern for you is that you will get really discouraged and then let things slide, especially this time of year and then begin the spiral backwards.

I am glad that you posed this question because it is one that we all need to consider very thoughtfully as we work towards our weight lose goals. Thank you for bringing this up. I had already been thinking about this myself and I am glad that I had a chance to think about it again.

Just remember, if you choose to not go any further you have not failed. Whatever weight lose you have acheived is better than where you were. And, any positive changes that have come out of that is SUCCESS no matter what any one, including your self, says.

You have succeeded already. Please don't forget that!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

It´s easier to focus on the bad things than on the good, that´s just human nature, but I think u should be really proud of yourself, you´ve lost weight and now have a healthier lifestyle, wow, that´s quite an accomplishment. Once you addopt the healthier lifestyle (that´s the hard part you already have) weight will drop, maybe it will be fast maybe slow but it will come off and you´ll get to your goal, does it matter if you take 2 more months? not really, you´ll get there anyway and u have all ur life to enjoy what you´ve learned in the process.
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

Yesterday I read a quote that can help...
"many of life´s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" Thomas Edison

Lesson learnt: DON´T GIVE UP!!!!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #7  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Newmala, you have accomplished a lot of things. Don't let the scale dictate what you should and shouldn't be proud of. Look in the mirror- I am sure that you can see a difference. I'm also sure that putting on smaller pants sizes also makes you feel better. This is a lifetime thing... you have your whole life to work on your body! just take it a day at a time. You are in no way a failure. You have changed your lifestyle, and that is the most important thing. Don't let yourself get discouraged. What you should do is go out somewhere with friends or family or a significant other, get all dressed up, and enjoy your new body. Forget the scale... just admire your accomplishments. Look at pictures of yourself at your starting weight... it might help to put into perspective all that you have achieved so far I am sure you are beautiful. Just keep going and don't worry about "when" you get to where you want to be- just focus on getting there, and it will come.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

You're doing wonderful and are definitely not a failure! I have no further advice to give, as I think those above me wrote everything better than I ever could. Just keep up the awesome work, because you're going to get there. Even if it wasn't in a year's time, the important thing is that you WILL reach your goal.
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186.25/186.25/135

Height: 5' 4"

You have taken the time to change your eating habits and your lifestyle and make healthy weight loss changes...that is always a good thing, always success!!!

Congrats and keep up the good work!
annierocket is offline   Reply With Quote