Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/193.6/150

Height: 5'8"

Default You said what?

Just wondering if anyone out there has some helpful suggestions for motivating me to exercise.
I do pretty well when it comes to food and water, but my biggest down fall is definitely exercise.
To be honest I don't like it, never have and I have such a hard time getting up and going to the gym. I try and use every excuse in the book.

Anything, anyone?

Cheers!
ekeller21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #2  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I wish I could help you, but I am in the same boat. I Just haven't been able to get into an exercise routine *shrug*

Just keep eating right and drinking water, and maybe when you've lost more the exercise will be easier to add in. That's what I keep hoping for LOL.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #3  
«Heidi»

S/C/G: 255/222.1/155

Height: 5'6

Smile Watp

If you're not the type of person to go to the gym, maybe you could try a fitness dvd? Personally, I started Walk Away The Pounds 9 days ago, and have never felt better! They incorporate arms and strength, targeting all aspects of your body! I've read a lot of really positive posts around these forums about success with WATP as the main cardio workout for people. If you're interested, I know Walmart near me carried the WATP Express tapes for $15.

I could only motivate myself for about a month and a half to consistently go to the gym. I know how you feel!
toesocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Just do it. Seriously.

Most days, I don't spring out of bed and say to myself, "I can't WAIT to exercise!" I know it's good for me and I know I need to do it and that I will feel great after, but nonetheless...

When it gets really bad I make a rule for myself. If I'm going to the campus gym, I will walk over there and look inside. If I'm just going for a run, I will change into my running clothes and lace up my shoes. If even then, I don't feel like doing it, I don't. I've never actually chickened out after this point.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 151/151/130... was 190's in 06

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the previous poster, you just have to do it!!! Each day I really don't want to do it, but I know in the long run I am going to feel A LOT better and I will also look better in my clothers and feel more confident! I know when I do work out I feel great afterwards, but you just have to make yourself! I think eventually (this hasnt happened to me yet) that it is something that you will want to do everyday! I also think it helps me to be a part of each month exercise challenge ( I think that's what it is called) so that I can see what I am doing! I hope that helps...
helpmelose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Personally, I like the "life as a gym" concept. Why waste all that energy working out and have nothing to show for it? Instead, wash the floors, scrub the walls, polish the brass...oh so vigorous and clean too!!!
Mermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #7  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

See I am the exact opposite! I work out every single day almost. But I eat like crap! I've lost 5 lbs since 8/1, and I know if I could eat better, I would lose more.
What I did was join a 24 hour fitness center. But what has reall gotten me moving was signing up for a race. I will run a 5k with my dad and a few friends on 10/27. I don't want to look like a tub of lard and I have to finish the race, so I had to start practicing early. I went through the couch to 5k at a faster pace because I've done it before and I know I can handle speeding through it. Then I plan on starting another program. Doing the monthly challenges on this site has really helped me too. I HATE saying I did "nothing" for a workout all day and knowing everyone can read it. I really have a hard time with the eating fruits and veggies. I can go a few days without either a fruit or a veggie. I work nights and there are always snacks there, but I really don't eat a ton there. Then I come home and go to bed almost immediately. I'll usually eat just one meal before work. So I really have a problem with my diet.
We should swap tips!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #8  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

This motivates me! Benefits of exercise:

* Reduce the risk of premature death
* Reduce the risk of developing and/or dying from heart disease
* Reduce high blood pressure or the risk of developing high blood pressure
* Reduce high cholesterol or the risk of developing high cholesterol
* Reduce the risk of developing colon cancer and breast cancer
* Reduce the risk of developing diabetes
* Reduce or maintain body weight or body fat
* Build and maintain healthy muscles, bones, and joints
* Reduce depression and anxiety
* Improve psychological well-being
* Enhanced work, recreation, and sport performance
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

This is such a hard thing! When I was in my hay day about a year ago through the preceding year, I was a workout fiend! I would sometimes go twice a day. Sometimes I would go at 4 in the morning. I wish I could have bottled that motivation. All I can say is just start. Once you have a week under your belt you won't want to break your streak! I am listening to my own advice right now because I haven't worked out since like last November. That's one reason why I gained the 50 pounds I lost back. Working out helps me eat good and vice versa. Hope that helps, I know it's just so hard to start!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

well i would say you need to exercize in a different way if you dont like what you are doing!

i hate running and ive always tried (and probably always will) but just dont love it... i do it for the health benefits but when you dread it its really hard to get motivated.

what i do now is an hour on the eliptical and i treat myself to 4-5 new songs a week for my ipod (5$) and 4-5 magazines per month (15$) and then just steal the others at the gym (ok borrow and read them there) i really enjoy getting my gossip sesh in!

also i try to make it a habit.. just like going to work every day... i go to the gym every day (ok i dont always make it but it heklps me!)

here are some suggestions so you can find somehting you like

walking (out doors or at the gym)
biking
skiing (water/snow)
swimming
yoga
pilates
dancing (formal or more informal aka dance party in your apartment! yeah baby!)
tennis
soccer
babysitting (and doing all the activities the kids do... they wont sit still!)
basket ball (horse?)
hiking
lawn mowing/yardwork
housework
iceskating
snowboarding
running
hoolahooping
jumproping
hop scotch
kick boxing
doing stairs (dont take another elevator or escalator!)
rock climbing
lunges across the room
weights
sprints
push ups
pull ups
carrying groceries up stairs (i live on the 5th floor yikes!)

bring a friend, bring a pet, bring a distraction (ipod, magazines, whatever!)

tell yourself you get a gold start every time you do an hour of excercize and when you have 10 saved up buy your self a treat = a new cd, a pair of shoes, a pedicure whatever- earn that stuff!!

also what would you be doing if you werent working out!? id rather go to the gym and feel like i did something with my evening after work then come home and sit on my but wathcing tv for 5 hours then go to sleep....

good luck! y ou can do it!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #11  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

i agree w/ the previous poster, if you dont like the gym, do something else! i like to dance and hike. also what helps me is i plan walks with a buddy. if you know someones just going to show up at your house every morning at 7:00, its hard to skip it!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #12  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

I can't go to a gym. We don't have one withing 90 miles. So I have to find other ways to get going. I have my trusty treadmill, it is a an oooold one and my DH says that he can't see any reasson why Ic an't spend a boat load of monies on a new one when I drop 50 pounds. You see I am good at spending gobs of money and then stashing the unused junk in the garage. Plus we have ear marked 2K for a new wardrobe when I have lost the entire 100! There is motivation let me tell ya!

I love music and I have tons of housework. I have spent the last year driving a semi while my hubby stayed home with our children. Now I gotta do the house thingy myself. I am going to make a few CD's that have nothing but fast music on them so that I Can listen to my favorite music and dance while I clean the hosue each day. Plus I can get my toddler dancing and by that I will be teaching her exercise and my oldest can even join in if the work isn't done by the time school is out.

pump up the jam

Last edited by Kati; 09-10-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM   #13  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Do you have any room in your home to exercise? i.e. room for taking on a fitness DVD, or putting in a small gym with some hand weights, stability ball, etc, maybe a stationary bike or such? I have found in the past 5 years that having a gym membership was a big waste of money for me because I was never motivated to actually get up and out of the house to go to the gym, so it was just a waste of money for me. This time around has been different - I decided to make a portion of my home a small gym. I have a much easier time of putting on my workout clothes and shoes and going downstairs and getting my exercise done than getting in the car and going to the gym. If you have the room to even do fitness DVDs (Walk away the pounds is a great way to start - I have been doing them for a month and love them, and you don't need a lot of room to do them), then I suggest at least starting with that. I don't really like exercising, but I know I need to do it to lose weight, and doing it at home has been so much easier. Good luck!
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Ekeller21 - Just wanted to let you know that you motivated me to get up and workout this morning. I have a mini stairstepper I got for Christmas 2 years ago that I haven't used forever. I set my alarm early, woke up and did 20 minutes. This is the first time I've worked out in months and months. I just wanted you to know that you motivated me to start things back up!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #15  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

My trick is the "well I'll just put on my shoes/get out my yoga mat/make my way over the gym, and then if I don't want to go for a run/do yoga/do weight training I don't have to."

But for me the hardest part is getting started.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote