Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

Just keep plugging away at it, but be open to other things that you might enjoy more. I started out on the elliptical machines, and the only enjoyment I derived from it was having more muscles on my legs and seeing how far I could go in an hour (my personal best was 8.4 miles in an hour). The whole time I was saying to myself "I hate this. I hate this. I hate this. Get me off. I hate this. God, I hate this." But I'd also been taking a yoga class that I, if not loved, could tolerate it pretty well, and the teacher encouraged me to take a kickboxing class that she was going to sub for, and I discovered that I didn't have time for the "I hate this I hate this I hate this" thinking when there was a teacher constantly telling me to do something different and I had to pay attention to what I was doing. I've been going to different class every day of the week now, except for the weekends, and have gotten pretty comfortable with the other company there. Also, I go early in the morning. I set my alarm for 5 am, and have left for the gym by 5:30, and I'm still not really awake enough to think clearly enough to talk myself out of it (really the state you want a person to be driving in, lol) and I just go through the motions of it. Once in you're in the habit, it really messes with your day if you don't do it. Don't give up on it.
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 229/193.6/150

Height: 5'8"

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Lots of helpful suggestions which I will definitely take to heart.
ooh and LockItUp...thanks for the shout out, I am glad I and the rest of the gang helped!!!
ekeller21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #18  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Freddy about finding something you like. Also, as mentioned by someone else, how about a fitness DVD? Some of those are really fun, intense, and a time saver. You'll be done before you know it.

Personally I just do it, but I actually love working out. I daydream about working out (weird I know!). It makes me feel better physically and psychologically. It takes 2-3 weeks to form a habit, so just do it, hang in there for around that time period and you'll be hooked.

Lastly, you have to find your own inspiration because what works for us individually may not work for you or anyone else. Let the fact that you want a healthier and better life for yourself be your self motivation. Diet and fitness is the hardest endeavor anyone could take on universally and making the effort to do so and having the desire is an accomplishment within itself. So, GET TO MOVING GIRLIE!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #19  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Since the only time I can exercise is the early morning, I`ve really started to hate it. I hate 5:30 am. Itīs dark, everyone is warm in bed, and the only people who are out and about are the street sweepers and the drunks.

Then I feel my jiggly belly and realize why I am doing this. Give your belly a jiggle in the morning, that`s what gets me going.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I'm a big fan of TurboJam. The instructor Chalene's kind of your stereotypical happy blonde and bouncy girl, but I think she makes it fun. She's got an ok taste in music and the workouts really get me sweating.

I also like racquetball. DH and I go to the gym and play on his lunch breaks or after he's done at work. We're at the same skill level (or maybe we both suck equally? ) so we have this little tournament going between us. They redid the floors this last week so we've been up the creek without a paddle...and we're at a tied score! Anyways, if you could find a sport you enjoy playing and have a friend who enjoys it too, that helps a lot.

But yeah, I know how you feel too. If DH's busy and we can't play racquetball, or I don't MAKE myself do TurboJam first thing after I wake up....I miss my exercise for that day and feel so guilty.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #21  
.::On a Mission::.

S/C/G: 257/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'2"

Default changing my way of thinking ...

It's easier for me to adapt to the diet but never the exercise part of my healthy living plans ... now I say to myself ... "If not now, WHEN?" ... emphasziing the "WHEN" b/c I've been yo-yo dieting since 14 ... and 8 years later ... and with all the goals of what I'll do tommorrow .. nothing has improved, and actually gotten rather worse!!! ... I just have to keep thinking that the only time to get up and move is NOW ... before another 8 years slips by ...
MadamePJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #22  

Height: 5'9"

The suggestion of doing things other than your routine "exercise" or "gym" options is a good one. Maybe you should consider joining a sports team? This is an especially good choice if you live in a big city because most sports clubs offer super beginner leagues. (And, if you're competitive this will do wonders for you.) Some sport ideas are: softball, volleyball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, flag football, dodge ball, hockey

If you have a dog, walk him! See how much further/faster you can walk him each day.

I'm a former roller hockey player so I've been rollerblading for my cardio. I also looked up and printed the "From couch potato to 5K" directions and did my first "lesson" last night. (It was tough, but I'm feeling proud.) Having a definite goal helps!

Or, try yoga and pilates. They're a lot lower impact and are a good way to get you started.

I hope something in there helps. You have to do something, though!!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 170/170/135

Height: 5'6"

I just recently restarted my diet and exercise program, and I also HATE exercising. One thing - you just HAVE to tell yourself to do it. Once you get out there and do it, keep telling yourself that you can do it, kinda like the little train that could =). Every day. If you want to lose the weight and get in shape, make yourself do it. It really is the only way.

I am doing a walking>>jogging>>running plan at the moment. I started September 8th. I walk for about 5 minutes to warm myself up, then jog as long as I can (even at a slow shuffle) then walk again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not casually walking. I used to be in the Army, so my walks are forced marches. It keeps my heart rate up just enough so I can get my legs and ribs to stop burning, then I start double timing/jogging again.
This is also building my stamina immensely! =D

If you don't like doing routines or aerobics or stuff like that - I recommend either walking/shuffling to build your stamina up so you can move onto running, or getting a stationary bike, or normal bicycling. I hate doing routines like pilates or yoga or whatever, so I just do what I am used to - "road marches" and PT type exercises - push ups, crunches, jumping jacks, and some other self-weight exercises that I have learned from fitness magazines to target my trouble areas.

I guarantee - it hurts while you are doing it, but if you get yourself some music you love, listen to it while you are exercising, and just keep a positive mindset about the exercise itself, you will do it - and you will feel good about it!

Once you get a routine/habit formed about going for your walk or doing something every day - your body will get used to doing it, and when you lose your focus and don't exercise, your body will let you know. If you get bored, change it up - go walk or run in a different area besides your neighborhood, or go run stairs. (Woooohooo running/walking stairs is some good stuff!)

If I don't exercise, I fall asleep in class at night. I lose tons of energy from not exercising, just like I get a headache now if I don't drink water.

I also recommend dancing. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months while in Iraq because I danced for about an hour every night. Music blaring in my headphones and just losing myself in it. =)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Oryx; 09-20-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

If I'm not feeling it then I fake it. I make myself do it. Oddly enough - nine months of regular exercise and I'm actually starting to like it. I'm not saying its not hard and uncomfortable (the process of doing it) at times but the feeling I get halfway through/after - it's well worth the effort!
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #25  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

It's hard to psych yourself up for exercise, but lately, I keep looking at the clock... and I say by X time I will get up and exercise. I WILL DO IT! This gives me some time to wrap things up and prepare myself mentally for exercising. THEN, when the time comes, I put down everything I'm doing and I do it, no excuses. I pretend like it's going to a job or something and you can't be late. I guess you could say I make an appointment for myself, even though it's not always the same time. I just give myself about an hour notice :P

BUT, I am with you... and a lot of you at that... I really do have to force myself to exercise. I don't like it. The best part about it is that I know I'm doing something good for my body and that I WILL get down to a healthy weight range if I just keep sticking to my plan... and you can do that too!

Last edited by rakel; 09-21-2007 at 02:58 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #26  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

The hardest part of working out is going to the gym.
That's just my opinion.

Some tips:
Take a class, it is really easy becuase there are other women doing it too, and you are not doing the same thing constantly like walking on a tredmill---boring, but you warm up and do aerobics, and there are many other types of classes, then they will do some weights, it is really fun, even the worst classes I have taken were awesome.
Or
Just stay on the tredmill or eliptical for 20-25 minutes and then do your favorite thing, streatching or weights or the sauna.
Good Luck!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #27  

Height: 5'9"

I just tell myself to get my fat @ss up off the couch and go do something about it lmao
Mischmash is offline   Reply With Quote