Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

^^ I read that same article too Bida - definately more motivation to lose weight!

Question - have any of you guys ever run with a running group? I found this group kind of near me that runs twice a week. They say they have runners of all ages and all speeds but I am still nervous I would get left behind or something...
But at the same time I want to be pushed harder to go farther. I have yet to run more than 3 miles...
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Bida: If I am doing a spin class quite often because I get to the gym a bit before it starts I will do a quick 15-20 minute run on the treadmill beforehand, it's really good for warming up!

About once or twice a week I'll do a full run in the morning and class at night on the same day - sometimes its more just depends on how I'm feeling.

Today I went for a run in the morning - just a quick one, 4 miles in 30 mins kind of a compromise because all I wanted to do was sleep in lol. It's cold in the mornings here!

Silver: I haven't run with a group before as such but I DO go running with my boyfriend. I find it makes me work harder because of being stubborn and not wanting to seem puffed before he does lol. I end up going a lot further or faster than I would by myself.

Tomorrow is bootcamp! Should be rather interesting
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I've finally recovered from that horrible race last week! My hamstrings hurt for days. I did get about a 5 mile run in yesterday at an easy pace. Tomorrow I'm going to do a brick workout. Run 2.6 then straight into the pool for 500m. It will be my first time, but I've decided to do my first TRIATHLON in October so I have to step it up!
Speaking of races, I have my Iron Girl 5K on Saturday. This is my first race that I'm really looking forward to instead of being worried about. I'm hoping to finish under 30 minutes. My last one, in May, I was almost 20 pounds heavier and had only been running for six weeks and I finished in 33 so I think that's an attainable goal.
Silver, I'm in the same boat as you. There's a local group here but I'm afraid to go with them. They sometimes have a "true beginner" run but usually they are doing 8-9 minute miles. I'm kind of in between. Plus they meet at 6am and that's not happening for me! If you decide to go let us know how it is! It sure would be nice to have people to run with.
Lyria, that's pretty hardcore! Spin class is a killer, I don't think I could do it!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #34  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

When I trained for the marathon back in the day I ran with a runners group (or rather took a running class) once a week for a while. It was GREAT - it totally motivated me - and I like to run alone - to run with other people and work my speed up.

Now in my triathalon group we have weekly track practices (this past semester they were too early for me) that are great motivators - we do interval training. I usually ran my own speed - but it helped we were all doing this together. I competed in two triathalons this past semester!

Now in my bootcamp they have a two level work out - the first is on the treadmill, the 2nd part is on mats - so it's like running together - really fast and hard

all and all Its good.
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

bida, what triathlons did you do? What distance were they? My first is going to be a super sprint because of that darn swim otherwise I'd LOVE to do the regular sprint distance. I'm going to do the women's subaru one at Mission Bay in October.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #36  
Bida Bida Bida

I have done a Sprint and an Olympic. The olympic was my first one - I believe it was a 1 mile lake swim, a 24.2 mile bike and a 6.2 mile run. It was intense - but in the most BEAUTIFUL location - the bike ride was amazing - the run I died on and the swimming was slow - but all in all I didn't come in last
the sprint was a 3.1 mile run a 12 mile bike (something like that) and a 400 M swim - it was backwards, and the swim was short - because they only had a pool - I did really well in this one (for me) - plus the swimming was short and the run was first - so I could rock that and the bike - and try to pull through the swimming.
I think I will try another olympic one day - but not too soon - but this bootcamp I am taking is kicking my *** - so it is def making me stronger.
Today we did 3 3 minute intervals of 1.5 minute walk 1 min jog 1 min run and 1 min sprint. Then we did this other interval thing where we ran then sprinted then ran backwards then did side shuffles - all at a 5 percent incline (and ran some more.)

joy joy
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #37  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

I hope I can be like you guys when I *grow up*!

You're all so inspiring!
I did 5K again yesterday, was feeling pretty good... and managed to shave a minute off of my time because as I got about 6 blocks away from my home, I came across a man um... exposing himself in public. It was really, really disturbing and made me run a lot faster.

But hey, I did the 5K!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #38  
Bida Bida Bida

hehe - whenever inspiration peaks go for it
B
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 217/145/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Owie!

Hi guys! I just joined a few days ago and wanted to say hi and thanks for your posts..I've been secretly reading them!
I've just started running about a month ago and was SHOCKED when I was able to run a 5K trail in 33 minutes. I didn't think I could even jog the whole thing but I did, and I was so proud of my time. Anyway I have enjoyed reading everything you guys have been posting here!
Since you all are more experienced runners than me, what can you tell me about avoiding pain? The main place it bothers me is in my shins and my breasts ..I found a pretty supportive sports bra at REI and it still hurts a bit to run (although not nearly as much as with a floppy pull-over SB!). The shin thing is really starting to get to me...I feel like cardiovascularly I can keep going, but sometimes my shins hurt too bad to continue. I have noticed a bit of improvement in this over the past couple weeks, so I'm wondering if it just gets better with time or if I should be doing something else for it. I do try and stretch everything out before I run.
Ok, I don't want to ramble too much...
Goodnight runners!
geoJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #40  

Shins can sometimes be related to the shoes you are wearing...or it could be shin splints? I don't know how to fix and/or relieve this as it isn't something I ever suffered from.

I used to get very bad knee pain until I bought some new shoes and they've been absolutely wonderful since then

As for breasts again...not something I've had to contend with as I'm an A cup and there just isn't enough there to bounce :P
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #41  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

hey runners!!

I've begun "jogging" this month and i usually do 2 to 3 1/2 miles each time i go out. I wanted to ask a question about side pains/stitches when I run.....I've found that after about a mile, i get a painful side stitch on my right side and have to walk for a bit, even though i WANT to continue jogging!!!! i try to wait about an hour after i eat to jog, so what is the problem??

leda
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #42  
Bida Bida Bida

for the boobs - I have big ones (DD) - so I wear two sports bras I used to wear just one - like a champion one that clasps in the back - but i started getting boob burn - - so I started to wear another one that I pull over my head underneath the first one - it doesn't give much support - but it helps a lot with keeping them in place and snug - and no more chapping.

As for shins - there are many excersizes and stretches you can find online - and also make sure that your shoes have enough cushioning.

----

For side stiches - it can have a lot to do with WHAT you are eating- but more importantly how you are breathing. Are you pacing your breaths or gasping? I tend to breath in and out every two steps - and the faster I go, the more I pace my breathing. Make sure you breath into your side stitch when it occurs - it is a lack of 02 that is making you cramp. (meaning take deep breaths). But sometimes it does have to do with your food intake.

Good luck!

-----

oh i went running yest - it was horrible - it was hot and I was lazy and i didn't push tooo hard - and walked a bit - I'm not used to going out in the middle of the day - nor do i want to again
Old 07-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #43  

Went for a run with the boyfriend today - mostly to test where we are at with distance and speed given the city to surf is on in two weeks.

We went about 15kms or 9.3miles in 65 minutes *grins* Thats a little more than 14 kmph! (8.75mph). I was very happy with us both hehe.

The Surf run is 14kms and we were aiming to do it in under 80 mins so we are well on track!

Tomorrow morning is boot camp and if I am feeling motivated probably RPM in the evening after work...busy day
Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 AM   #44  
Bida Bida Bida

WOW! that is super fast and super great!!!! I am proud of you and I'm sure you will kick *** on the race!
I had bootcamp yest and will try to make it tomorrow - SO much interval running it hurts
B
Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #45  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I went running yesterday and had an odd revelation.....it is now harder for me to run slower! When I first started out I was slow-jogging and worked up my speed to a fast jog/easy run and yesterday when I slowed down to my prior speed it actually felt harder and took more effort! Anyone else experienced this?
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote