Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #1  
starwish

S/C/G: 185/142/120

Height: 5'5

Angry is the normal

i have hired a personal trainer to help me out cause i'm a mess when it comes to weights. when i weighted myself a month and half ago when we 1st started i was 151. 10 sessions later plus dieting + plus at least 45 mins of cardio 5 days a week. i dropped one pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tant rum: i'm ready to just give up! i mean is all this worth it, to just drop one pound after a month and half! ugh the only thing keeping me holding on is that fact that i did drop down in pants size, but am i gonna be 150 forever!?!?!? the scale is just not moving
starwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #2  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

You have probably gained some lean muscle which is not yeilding to the scales! Everyone always says that age is just a number. Well, sometimes, the scale is just a number!!! Focus on the lost size!! I mean aside from becoming healthier, don't we all want to be smaller/ more lean??? You have achieved that! Good for you!! You should feel proud and accomplished!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Unfortunately, building muscle DOES stunt your "weight" loss. You lost one pound of fat and probably gained a few in muscle. The number on the scale means nothing compared to the way you look and your body fat percentage.

What does your diet look like? Give me an example of what you eat. How often do you eat?

150 is not overweight for 5'5". It's average... on the higher end of average, but still technically average. What pants size do do you wear, if I may ask?

Maybe you just need to switch up your workout routine. Also, switch your calorie in take - like 1,200 one day, 1,400 the next, 1,600 the next and back... or some variation thereof.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #4  
starwish

the promblem is in my legs! that are HUGE! i'm a small on top and 9 in pants i just look bottom heavy! and i hate it! and of course my legs are the last place i drop pounds.

i normally have fruit in the morning. salad and light chips for lunch and 290 cal engery bar for dinner. i know i need more calories thru out my day i'm just trying to lose wieght fast for vacation in 3 weeks then i'll go back to healthier eating habits.

and plus saturday and sundays i eat more
Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Try eating foods low on the glycemic index for quick weight loss. http://www.glycemicindex.com

Limiting your caloric intake (sounds like you're getting 800-1,100 calories a day) isn't necessarily going to assist with weight loss. There's a good chance that you'll drop the pounds even faster by eating, say, 1,100-1,500 calories of foods low on the glycemic index.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #6  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for that link.
I had the same thing happen- when I started working out more consistently, I didn't lost at all. Weird. At least you dropped a size in pants. I haven't even gotten there yet.
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #7  
The Mabbinator

Contradictory as it may sound, eating too few calories can prevent weight loss. I second NightengaleShane's advice.

And in the end, you may not be able to change your legs. We all have our genetic quirks and that is yours. My mother was skinny in the skelatal sense as a young woman and she still had thighs that stuck way out on the sides. Your best bet may be to learn to celebrate them as something that makes you beautiful in a unique way.
queennmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #8  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Lbs on the scale don't mean much when you're developing lean muscle mass, so this is indeed completely normal. Have you tried taken your measurements maybe? (Though it'd be better to be able to take them before and after, to be able to compare them.) That is something that I've found to be just as encouraging as getting on the scale, and it can help you see your progress as well, just in another way. (I think what's being hard for you is that you don't see yourself progressif if the scale displays a 1 lbs loss only, right?)

At any rate, you ARE on the right track, except for the not eating enough part, I'd say. Who wants to be thin and completely flabby and having to live on 600 cals a day for the rest of their life because they've shot their metabolism down and will gain if they eat more? Lean muscle mass is way better, way prettier, way healthier, and way more useful.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

aww, hey.. don't get discouraged! i think it's great that you went down one size, that is a HUGE accomplishment. be proud of yourself!

don't worry, the weight loss will come. i actually felt exactly like you today. i've been exercising everyday, in the morning and after work, and i portioned my meals better, and ate healthier.. but only 1 pound came off after 2.5 weeks! i felt frustrated and upset. i just didn't get it. i wanted to give up. but i talked to my mom's trainer, and my sister (who's really knowledgable about all this) and said that the number on the scale isn't important, it's the way you look and how the clothes fit! they both said i probably loss the fat, and gained lean muscle.. which is definitely better. and my mom's trainer asked if i had lost a lot of weight, and said i looked a lot more fit than when i first came to the gym. when in reality, i just lost a pound, but my body just looked more fit! i tried on my size 6 skirt today, and it was really loose..i had to keep fixing it throughout the whole day! so don't fret.. this doesn't happen overnight, and people's weight come off at different rates, but you WILL get there.. just be patient and stay motivated.
kateconfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #10  
starwish

thanks for all your help! i kinda blew it is weekend, BUT after reading everything i'm ready for the gym today and i'm gonna try to up my cal intake! thanks again =]