Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #148

So how's the New Year going for everyone so far. I've completely wasted the first 2 days so far (except for going to church yesterday of course!)

It's rainy and bad here so I don't feel like doing anything. I'm still tired from Christmas. We had friends over New Year's Eve ... stayed up late and then got up early for the radio program and then church Sun. morn. Had a candle light communion service last night then out to eat with about 15 people from church. I need a couple of days rest, then gotta get started back on the trailer next door again - finish getting it ready to rent. Didn't get to go to NC last week so I may plan a trip over there in the next month or so. I have some aunts that are old and sickly ... I need to go see them sometime soon.

I didn't make any resolutions this year. I figure if I just survive I'll be doing good!

Thought you all would get a kick out of baby Jenna's Christmas Cake Caper! (She's a true blonde ... such a klutz!) Funny thing is she didn't just drop it once ... that's why I made the picture! She dropped it TWICE! She nearly cried until I started laughing! That kid keeps me young!!!

MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  

We got Kaylyn a scooter and a helmet ... sometimes I think some of Jenna's blonde hair fell off on that child!

From left to right going around: Garrett: 10; Ross: 9; Kaylyn: 8; and Jenna: 6.

MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #3  

Why do I keep losing posts. Love those pics, Meme. I am still sick!!! But not as bad as Sunday. Do you have that vomiting bug Tammy? Last report was MIke got it-one more to go in that house. He said we hould save the presents til next year!!! I don't think so. We might do a pull a name next year for the grownups.
This is funny. Asked DIL what colors she liked for the new baby and she said all the colors of the 3 NE sports teams. I was thinking blue and yellow myself. I just got some quilt squares on e-bay for a Patriots quilt and then I am going to get some Red Sox fleece and make one of those no-sew baby blankets . With the fringe that you tie.Maybe I will make a green sweater set for the Celtics-they don't have material.
30 miles is not far, Joanne. I will see if that will work-otherwise another day. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #4  

Sorry Tam and Mima are sick..feel better soon!

Meme..cute pictures! Those grandkids of yours are gonna be married with kids of their own soon!

Joanne...our email provider scans for viruses...but I still do not feel safe and I do not open just junk.

I gotta start eating healthy again and lose a few I gained!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #5  

Hi to all of you.

Meme - those are great pictures. Cute kids, and boy have they grown up.

Candice - it's good to have you back. I don't open junk at all. Just delete everything. I got a terrible virus a year ago, and by the time the tech finished with my machine, it had opened 17 viruses. All this even though I had Norton. Our cable company has a virus package if I want it, but the tech told me not to go near it. It was far safer to use MacAfee or Norton. There is a free one, and I will go in search of it and post it here. It will tide you over until you can get one. It is pretty good.

Mima and Tammy - I hope you gals feel better soon. I had that strep the first part of November, and that is enough for me. My little grandson had the stomach flu at Christmas and Ashley is STILL sick with whatever she had. She goes to her own Dr. tomorrow for a check-up, so that is good.

Joanne - how are you doing today? I suppose you are basking in the nice hot weather Well, we are having a 'balmy' 32F day. This is SUPER warm for January, of all months. Supposed to stay for the whole week. So far, since October, we have only had 1 week of cold weather and we had a brown christmas - we only have a skiff of snow, not even worth sweeping. I just don't have to sweat

Hope everybody is enjoying thier day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #6  

Hi all! Thanks for the get well wishes. Feeling better today, but still not "normal". Long day at school, believe me. I need to go to bed early tonight.

Anne, we still have some things at the old house. We thought we'd get most of it finished when we got home from Georgia, but when you're sick, not much gets done. Glad that work is getting easier for you, and that massage had to feel great!

Mima, yes we had the vomiting kind of flu. Not fun. We were very close to Florida when we were gone, but I'm sure we weren't close to you. I think Jekyll Island is about 50 miles from Jacksonville.

Meme, those kids are so cute! You can just look at them and know they are into mischief.

Joanne, happy 52nd anniversary!! Having you house full for Christmas was nice. I miss all of us being with my parents. Good for you on getting out and walking. We did quite a bit while we were gone. Planning to join the YMCA soon.

Candice, we will never get tired of you!!! Silly girl!! Good for you for starting to eat healthy again. I've done good today, but I'm still not feeling the best. How is your MIL?

Melody, welcome!!!! Definitely get to a doctor and ask questions. I have learned so much over the past 1.5 years since I was diagnosed. You will also received support from this group of women too. They are great!!

I need to do some school work, and then go to bed early (like an hour ago). Hope to be back on tomorrow.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #7  
Goal! Balloon Ride 2006!

Question Newly diagnosed.....

Just diagnosed with fibromyalgia in November after months of tests to see what was wrong. Have been given Doxepin (low dosage) which is supposed to put me in stage 4 sleep and let my muscles heal. It certainly does put me in stage 4 sleep, which is good, because for the first time in 20 years I'm able to sleep through the night. But I'm hungover the next morning and can't get motivated to exercise. I lost 42 pounds last year (May to October), but gained 30 of them back since October.

I really want to get started again. Any suggestions on exercise, medication, how to deal with fibromyalgia? How about specific foods to avoid or foods to eat relating to fibromyalgia? You guys look like you're going great!

motherofthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:47 AM   #8  

Hi Motherofthreedogs. How much Doxepin did they put you on. I took 10 mg per night for awhile, but with the meds I take for AtrialFibrillation, I couldn't wake up, so I stopped taking it. The good thing about it, is that it isn't addictive. Also, my Dr. advised me to take it at 9:00 p.m. and said even earlier if I was having problems the next day.

I, myself, find that sugar and aspartame products can bring on a flare. Also, stress. I am much better than I was 9 years ago. I also have OA in the lower back, hip, knee and other areas it seems.

Oh, welcome to our thread.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #9  

MIL not doing well.....gotta get some rest
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #10  
Goal! Balloon Ride 2006!

Thanks, Happy Canuk. Yup - it's 10 mg and I probably take it later than I should - between 10 and 11 when I take all my other meds. I've had 3 kidney transplants and have a ton of med, including prednisone which tends to keep my weight up. I also read last night that Doxepin can cause "massive weight gain", which is not what I need! I like not having as much pain as before, but being that I stopped exercising at the same time that I started this, not sure if the pain went away because of the Doxepin or because I stopped exercising. Tired of doctors who don't know what's wrong, so figure I best take things into my own hands. You guys who have been through the same thing are helpful. Thanks.
motherofthreedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #11  

Hi there all-still not better but I think I am headed there. Got the hot and sour sup-that seems to open up my sinuses but it had scallions that I thought were green beans!!!!Now my stomache!!! I tried a lot of meds before I found one that didn't put me in the zone. But do take it earlier. Glad you are on the mend.Tammy. We went right by Jekyll Island-we could have met you for lunch!!!! Someday. Gotta pay 2 bills before the stamps go up. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #12  

Default Hey There

Happy-It is in the low 70's today. It is supposed to get into the low 40's-mid 30's ?this weekend. The weather has been great lately. Not hot or cold.
Tammy -glad that you are feeling better. I have been down with my back/hip since Christmas. It seems to be getting a little better,but, not fast enough for me to walk much. I have been sitting on one wt.number and can't get it to move down . I need to lose a pound today. I doubt that is going to happen.Weigh in is thursday. My daughter and I plan a weekend to St Simons island in April.
Mima- I just need to know ahead of time if you plan to come to Tarpon Springs. It may be difficult for you as your hubby is going to be in Tampa.It would mean him bringing you and coming back to pick you up.
Candice- Hope the MIL gets better. Take care of yourself. That is #1.
Meme- Cute children. My G/children are grown. Both in college.My G/son is now out of the navy. Thank God. We were so worried . His ship was sent in the Irag area twice. My G/daughter is extending her degree. She will have two degress when she graduates.Her boyfriend is in school there. That makes it easier.She will be one educated nurse!It can only help her.
Motherofthreedogs- Welcome. I can't relate to fibro, but, I can say that the meds you are on will not help you to lose weight. Keep working at eating healthy and a good exercise program. I have severe OA. along with other health problems.It is always a battle.
Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #13  

Hi everybody.

Mima - glad you aare getting to the point where you THINK you MIGHT be getting better.

Joanne - by the weekend, we will have the same temperature. That MUST be a first. We are having the 2nd warmest winter in history. Hope you can lost that pound, but don't stress about it.

Motherofthreedogs - I don't know that 10mg will cause you to gain weight or not. I didn't find that much of a problem, not like the Amitriptylin. Try taking that Doxepin earlier, as it does help with the morning blahs. You have a few other problems that we don't have. Just try remember to pop that pill earlier

Candice - try take some time for you. Is your MIL going to get better?

Hi MEME and TAMMY!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #14  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hi Ladies,
I am new here, I am usually on the LA Weight Loss threads, since that is the diet I am on. I am 28, have had FM for 8 years. I do really well with it if I get plenty of water, and go easy on the alcohol. Lately though I have not been sleeping very well, and hurting a lot more. Of course, it has been really cold and snowy here, and winter always brings on a bit of a flare. My question though, is do you ladies exercise? What have you found that does not make you hurt? I would really like to work out, but everytime I try to exercise, I end up paying for it for days. I would really appreciate any wisdom on this one! Thanks, Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #15  

Katie

I have had Fibro for about 15 years. I used that as an excuse for so many years to not exercise because of the pain. I say "excuse" now because I have come to understand that what life can be with exercise. I finally took the step and started exercising almost 2 years ago. Oh man it hurt and hurt and hurt. I didn't believe my doc that it would get better. I got to the place where I couldn't stand my body anymore and I hated being the largest one on my vocal team at church. But, I kept pushing through the pain and in all honesty, if I did that, anyone can do it. I never exercised in my whole life and I hated anything that made me breathe heavy. I still hate to exercise and I always will but I feel so much better. I do walking tapes, strength and resistence tapes, free weights. I can't even think of going to the gym because I tend to fall to the floor trying to catch my breath(because I'm a wimp) and I feel comfortable with that at home. I might freak people out at the gym and I don't want them to be upset!!!! OK, I just can't think of being seen with my exercise clothes on by anyone but my family.
OK, all that to say...yes, it gets better. Yes, it hurts but you have to push through it a little bit more everyday. Walking is one of the top things in my book and the easiest on your joints. I really like to do some abs too. I don't do anything fancy because it hurts my back but doing crunches daily makes me feel better and I can feel those "6pack" muscles just waiting to come out and see the sun.
Sorry I took so much time to write all this. I can be a bit wordy so I'll try to watch it. Don't feel defeated with the exercise. God is walking, crunching, weight lifting with you and He'll give you the strength you need to do what you need to do.
Mel
Figgykitty is offline   Reply With Quote