Old 08-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:36 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #2  
One pound at a time...

Let me give first a huge back to the forum and as well as huge . For me, going in for a regular weigh in keeps me on track. With the current plan I am on I actually go in 3 times a week. This actually prevents me from falling into the proverbial trough (as it were) and thinking I could make it up later in the week. It pretty much enforces accountability on me on a daily basis.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back Pookie....you and your pearls of wisdom have been missed!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome back Pookie!

We've missed you!

I'm so sorry that you have had such a tough time. I'm sending you condolences on the loss of your beloved Mom , I know you miss her terribly.

I wish you the very best on your renewed commitment to yourself. I myself am trying to get back on the wagon

I look forward to reading your lovely posts again!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #5  
DNR
Determined Woman

Pookie:

I can respond to your question. I started out going to a WW at Work program at my place of employment and it worked out really well for me. I am a person who does much better if I go to the meetings and get weighed by someone else. It's almost like I know I can't fool someone else when I step on that scale, whereas if I just weigh myself and don't attend the meetings, I can just say, "I'll do better next week" and that never happens. I went to the at work program until the end of May and then I got a promotion to another job. I moved to another building on campus and the times didn't work out well for me to keep attending the at work program. So, I stopped going for about 6 weeks and I haven't lost a pound since. I have maintained (which is a good thing) but here it is the end of the summer and I haven't lost a pound for weeks. So, I started back to the meetings this week at a location near my home and I have already lost this week, so I am convinced that I do better when someone else weighs me and I also feel that I'm doing something for myself by going to the meetings each week and listening to others' stories and ideas, even though I already know these things.

This may not be true for others but I know myself well enough to keep going to the meetings - I think paying the money has something to do with it as well.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi and Welcome back. I'm very sorry about your mother and know that must be so hard on you. Mine has passed too.

I am not on WW but have done it in the past. The weekly weigh-in's definitely did help hold me more accountable and it seemed made me try that much harder to stay on program.

I have been on a low-carb program that my Dr. advised. I get weighed every 3 months at his office. It definitely keeps me on track. I want him to see my progress each visit and now that I'm on maintenance, it keeps me in line. I want to prove that I can continue my new lifestyle and maintain my loss.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #7  

My mom just died last Fri. and her memorial is this evening. She gave her body to the U of WI for medical research. She was 90. My appertite has been down because of the sorrow. Even though she was wanting to go to be with the Lord, I still miss her. She lived in our home and was quite able to care for herself until her death. She had bad eyes but still walked a half mile about 3 times a week in good weather. She road an exercise bike in the winter. She had all her things in order.......so organized unlike me.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Weekly weigh-ins kinda work both ways for me. I LOVE the support of the fellow members in my TOPS group (not WW, I know, but we still have weekly meetings and weigh-ins), and they can all be very encouraging and helpful. However, I have found that in the weeks I have not done well and I know I have gained, I am less likely to go to the meeting and be ashamed of having gained in front of everyone. Actually, I haven't been to a meeting in over a month because I've gained back some weight and just don't want to face them until I can get myself back under control.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Carol, so sorry about your Mom too

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Welcome back pookie, it is good to see you back
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKIE88 View Post
Jill, How did you decide on TOPS? I don't know too much about them. Sometimes I FORCE myself to attend a WW meeting even if it is embarrassing that I have not lost (or even gained). That seems to help turn me around.
Easy...I'm broke, and they're cheap, so it was a perfect fit! Seriously, though, since they are a non-profit group, their rates are WAAAAY lower for meetings than other groups (like WW, LAWL, JC, etc.). It's less than $30 a year and then something like $5 a month. You can also follow any plan you want, so I wouldn't have to worry, for example, about talking about mixing Points and Core plans together They do offer a book with an exchange program, but it's only a suggestion. There are people in my group doing low-carb, some on the AHA plan, some using exchanges, some counting calories...I like the freedom to be able to rely on the support no matter what plan I choose.

Of course, the down side of being a non-profit is that some chapters become more like social clubs rather than support groups since the leaders and such are not paid. I have been to some crappy groups and am forutnate enough to have found a really great group near me now. Of course, it helps that you can attend your first meeting at any chapter for free, so if there are multiple in your area, you can find the one you like best.

Okay, I'll stop my commercial now...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #12  
Searching

Pookie and Carol my condolences, losing a parent is terrible hard.

Miss Chris

PS. My Dr. weighs me 1x a month, I sneak on the scale sometimes at home, but I can't ever rely on it for what his will say
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Pookie, I'm so sorry I missed this while I was gone. Just try to take it one day at a time.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote