Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I, too, am a peanut-butter-a-holic I buy the all natural kind (ONLY peanuts, no salt so I don't get all that evil water-retaining sodium ), and it is about the same price as the more heavily-processed kinds. Those mentioning low-fat pb...to my knowledge, there is no such thing. There is reduced-fat, but it's still pretty high in fat, and there's still trans fats included, which are the most evil of them all. However, the fats in natural peanut butter are good fats, so I don't worry about them (your body NEEDS fat in order to process/absorb certain nutrients).

Also, for those already using natural pb--why mix in the oil? I did this for forever until I saw someone else mention that they just pour out the oil that's settled on the top. The peanut butter is still moist enough to spread easily, but now you've eliminated a little bit of fat, calories, and inconvenience/mess
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Wow thats alot of peanut butter!! I couldn't eat that stuff more than once in a great long while, but then again......just try to wrestle the Apple Cinnamon Cheerios from my hands. Seriously, please consider adding some grilled chicken, eggs, maybe even hamburger without the bun to your diet. Variety really helps when trying to lose weight and to keep it off.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #18  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Jill -

I saw where someone else recommended pouring the oil off the top of the natural PB and I might try it but my PB gets pretty dry, stiff and tough to spread by the bottom of the jar because it's hard to get it well mixed up in the first place. I've heard others suggest just dumping the whole jar in another, larger container to make it easier to mix but I haven't tried that, either.

And Wyllenn, as far as getting tired of PB, NO WAY! That is, at least for me. PB has been a standard part of my breakfast for years (lost my 50 lbs while eating it virtually every day). I eat it because I need protein in the a.m. to keep me from getting too hungry & overeating later in the day. Protein in the a.m. is one of my "must do's" for successful weight loss. 'Course, I could do eggs, meat, beans, etc. but PB works best for me - easy, yummy, cheap, filling and portable (I eat breakfast @ work).

This is a fun thread!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #19  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I didn't expect nearly the suggestions that I've gotten. I'm counting calories today and tomorrow to see how many I'm actually getting in, and payday is this weekend and I'll hit the grocery store for more chicken, fruits/veggies etc. Thank you so much for the different suggestions.
Hpnotq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #20  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Just another note on the cost of natural PB. I buy a store's brand (Western Family), that contains nothing but peanuts. Hubby, who's a PB fiend prefers his salted, sweetened Kraft brand. His actually costs more than mine does.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #21  
diet queen!!

S/C/G: 178/154/140

Height: 5"3

Hey again, hope things are getting easier! I have a really busy job too with lots of changing shifts, I always have some fruit or a cereal bar to take the edge of the hunger till I can make something proper! I'm sure you'll be fine though, peanut butter does have good fats but is still really really high and something that should be avoided when you losing weight. or have it as a treat on weigh day once a week. It seems everyone in here is from the states and I think eat completely differently! very educational!!!
Doods79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #22  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doods79
[...] peanut butter does have good fats but is still really really high and something that should be avoided when you losing weight.
I have to disagree. I can have a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on whole-grain bread, together with an apple, for around 200 kcals (in fact, I did have that just this morning). IMO, that's a good, healthy, and satisfying meal/snack. OTOH, most of the cereal bars I've seen are pretty high in sugar, low in fibre, and about as nutritionally sound as a small chocolate bar. YMMV.

And I'm not from the States!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #23  
diet queen!!

S/C/G: 178/154/140

Height: 5"3

Wink

sorry about the states thing, didn't mean to offend at all!!! i meant more its interesting how diet varies. peanut butter seems to be a big thing. it is gorgoues though!!!

as for cereal bars i hear what you're saying. a lot are full of rubbish. there are some from special k that are v low in cals and another new one here from all bran which is reallt high in fibre. why are diets so complicated!!!!
Doods79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #24  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

Well I went shopping yesterday and got some different things. I'm happy to report that I had a single slice of peanut butter toast yesterday and haven't had any peanut butter at all today. I'm hoping to continue this, but if I run out of food/money before payday I may have to revert to my fall back. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Hpnotq is offline   Reply With Quote