Old 05-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverhopefull
You could try and do 2 sets of 30mins if you are worried of not losing with 30mins. It would keep you at your fitness level during the summer months and then it will be easier for you to get back to only one session a day in the cool months.
That's pretty much been my strategy (although, I've cut down a little bit). For the first 4 months or so, I would wake up early and exercise (stability ball and weights) before going to work. Then during my lunch break, I would do 30 minutes of cardio, which left enough time for me to get changed and grab lunch, which I would eat sitting at my desk. After work, I go back to the gym for 30 more minutes of cardio. Granted, my gym is in the same building where I work so this routine is super convenient. As of late, I just can't seem to wake up early any more, so I've been staying later at the gym during my after-work workout since they have stability balls and weights there and I can make up for not working out in the morning.

I don't know the nature of your job, but would you be able to go for a quick run during your lunch break (even just around the parking lot or something)? I'm impressed that you have the ability to work out for 60 minutes straight, but if you can manage to break it up into a couple sessions, that would be great. Even if you do one 30 minute session per day, I'd still say you're doing great. I have a workout video that's broken up into 3 ten minute segments, which is very handy if that's all the time I have; it keeps me motivated and helps me stick to my routine (and while it doesn't seem like a person can burn that many calories in ten minutes, you can burn a lot more than just skipping the workout altogether). It's not always about the quantity of your workout time, but the quality. I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoChic
I usually try to do 60 minutes on the treadmill atleast 5 days a week. Guys, I could barely do more than 20 yesterday when I got back on the treadmill. It was SO hot and humid, I felt like I was about to pass out.
Great job at getting back at it after being sick - I know it can be hard to go back after a break. It is unbearably hot & humid (they say it "feels" like 38 celsius) here & doesn't cool down at night. I feel sweaty & irritable just sitting still & know it takes me more energy to do less.

So I would say that 30 minutes in this kind of heat/humidity is probably worth more. Your body IS working harder to do the same activity.

Anyway, isn't 30 minutes better than none?
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #18  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard
Anyway, isn't 30 minutes better than none?
Exactly my thoughts! Do what you can and before you know it you'll be doing more that you thought you could! How about a big fan? I often move a fan to right behind me when I exercise! Kudos to you!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

I joined the local YMCA in September and LOVE it. It's true that there is a bubble of personal space. Most everyone is listening to something on their headphones. Most all don't make eye contact except for a "smile." The request in the weight and cardio room is "to exercise quietly." I'm usually the fattest in the room, but I don't feel uncomfortable,even when it is crowded because of the "bubble" and I'm listening to my MP3 player so I'm in my own world.

When I started at the YMCA, I signed up for a personal trainer/coach that showed me the machines and worked with me over 12 weeks to safely exercise and increase my levels and be accountable to someone. She told me that in order to maintain I would need to work out for a minimum of 30 mins 3x/wk. For loss, 5x/wk for 30 min. When I started, I could only do 2 minutes on the elipical and 10 min on the treadmill. Now, I'm only going 3x/wk so I've only seen an improvement with my energy, stamina, and I'm not so stiff during the day, BUT I can do 30 min on the elipical and an additional 15 min on either the treadmill or the stairstepper. I'm proud of myself for that progress. This year has been the first year in my whole life that I have exercised more than walking sporatically when I had to. I'm 43yr old.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #20  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I started at the gym about 2 months ago and have been really wanting to get into the swing of going and working out. I seem to get on a roll and then some weird injury or like now (tonsilitis) gets in my way. I am still trying as much as possible and really look forward to getting my act together this summer as I will be off and have time to work out first thing in the morning.

As for 30 minutes....thats great!! You will probably see yourself able to do more in no time flat again. Give it time. They say you should do at least 20 minutes a day so see you are already 10 minutes ahead of the game. ("They" being my trainers at the gym.)
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #21  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll look into the local YMCA here. I think there's actually one right down the street, so maybe I can do that on the weekends. As for doing a workout on my lunch hour, well I would except my job is basically me walking around the entire time. I work in the emergency room doing bedside registration, so if I do get to sit, it's for less than a minute at a time. By the time my lunch hour rolls around the last thing I want is more standing
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote