Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Default Healty BBQ tips ????

OMG, my co-workers are planing this big BBQ pot luck. I'm thinking of bringing fruits with yogourt and chocolate (for those skinnies that need a little fat...just for a little justice..LOL).

The rest of them are bringing so much junk/ not so healthy foods it's scary.

Give me some tips of what I can do , so I don't have to run about 300 miles for days to get back on track.

I've heard someone say that she eats something that contains alot of proteins (hard boilled egg, a few peices of chesse,etc), so they don't feel "famish" by the time the food get's served.

Any other tips???
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #2  
DNR
Determined Woman

My suggestion is this:

Before you take a plate and just start putting things on it randomly, take a good look at all the food that is available. Then step back and think about a plan - have a little self-talk going on in your head and decide which things you are going to put on your plate. Ask yourself if certain foods are "worth it" or if you'll feel better about turning them down. You don't want to be beating yourself up for the rest of the day because you didn't have a plan and went wild. That is very easy to do. If there are a lot of tempting things such as desserts, etc. and you decide you are going to indulge, I would ask myself the question, "which ONE of these things am I going to have?" and only have 1. If there are any veggies and fruits, take bigger portions of those to fill up on.

You will feel so much better later on, if you make smart choices.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorite thing to bring to a bbq potluck is a french potato salad. Its non-mayo based, just has a light dijon vinaigrette dressing on it (which I make fat free by using chicken stock instead of oil to emulsify) and just has some steamed potatoes and green beans, plus a little bit of shallot and some fresh herbs. Its very refreshing, and if you make it heavy on the green beans, you can have a big helping for a reasonable number of calories. Also makes it easier to avoid the mayo-laden standard potato salads, and pretty much everyone enjoys it.

Once you get there, I agree with making a plan. Look at what is there, look at what you really want, and make a plan that is moderate but won't leave you feeling like you were deprived of a fun event.

You might also consider bringing something appetizer-esque to snack on before the food gets there that fits in your plan (I know at these events for me, the hardest part is not taking a reasonable amount of the meal...its always harder for me to do the whole appetizer thing beforehand where everyone is eating chips, spinach dip, and other high-cal munchies BEFORE the meal starts). I usually bring some veggies and a low cal dip to these events...maybe some fat free or lowfat dressing, or lowfat yogurt and cucumber dip (most parties do have veggies, in my experience, but always with full-fat creamy dressings!) If anyone is already bringing the veggies, you could just bring an additional dip that is on your plan so you can snack away before the party on veggies and dip for a minimal amount of calories. I make a lowfat, super-simple white bean dip that I use for this - its sort of like a hummus, but without any oil and with tons of flavor - high in fiber and 60 cals per quarter cup or so, PM me if you'd like the recipe. This does two things - lets me fill up a bit before the main meal so I don't gorge on the tasty BBQ offerings that might not be on plan, and lets me feel like I'm part of the whole snacking atmosphere going on so I don't revert to my nemesis, chips and salsa.

Good luck!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #4  

I agree with DNR... However, you do have other options. This depends on the time of day, but you could have a filling snack before the BBQ so that you won't eat so much.... Something high protein would probably be best. Then, while you're eating at the BBQ drink water with your meal, as water does tend to make us feel full.
You could also give yourself permission to indulge during this potluck - and for a few days before and a few days after, keep your calories down and exercise more so that the potluck doesn't affect your weight.
It truly is a trade-off... personally, I would work extra hard for a few days just to be able to indulge in foods I find irresistable without feeling guilty (but that's me, not you )
I'm sure you will do fine, it is all about balance and not about feeling deprived (physically, emotionally, or socially).
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=Foreverhopefull]OMG, my co-workers are planing this big BBQ pot luck. I'm thinking of bringing fruits with yogourt and chocolate (for those skinnies that need a little fat...just for a little justice..LOL).
QUOTE]

I almost spit my diet DP all over the computer screen. I don't know why, but this just made me laugh SOOO hard! Thank-you for a little cheer!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've brought fruit salad or a green salad to bbqs before -- it REALLY helps me to know there's something healhty to eat.

Like the others, plan ahead how you'll handle the day. It's corny, but I sometimes visualize myself making healthy choices -- saying NO to the foods I know I don't want, that sort of thing.

I usually also have a healthy snack beforehand so I don't eat from hunger.

And talking and socializing gives you something else to do.

Last summer I dreaded events like this, but now I'm learning to make a plan, relax and have fun!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #7  
No description available.

Mmmmm...that French potato salad sounds terrific! Can you give details on the vinegrette (sp)?

Another idea is to make sure half of your plate is filled with fresh fruits and veggies, a quarter with maybe some grilled chicken, and then the other quarter with the least mayo-laden starch option there is. Drink lots of water, and no seconds (my big problem!), and I bet you will do great!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The vinaigrette (I'm not sure how to spell it either) that I made was made with 3 tbsp champagne vinegar, a teaspoon of dijon mustard, half a minced shallot, salt, and pepper, maybe a couple teaspoons of olive oil if desired (helps the dressing stick a bit better to the potatoes, but its not needed), plus FF chicken stock and whisk together until its a good consistency (I use chicken stock instead of oil in almost all my dressing recipes - it works, the dressing just isn't quite as thick.) Then I mixed in some fresh dill and tarragon into the salad itself - just minced it up really small and tossed it in. I don't know exactly how much I used - I generally just throw in herbs until it smells/tastes good. Not precise, I know.

To make the base of the salad, I put small white and red potatoes in the steamer, and steamed them until they were easily pierced with a fork. Then I removed from heat and threw a towel over them for 10 minutes so they'd steam a bit more. I blanched and iced down the green beans separately so they'd retain their color. the potatoes soak up the flavor in the dressing much easier if they are very warm, so as soon as they're done steaming under the towel, toss them into a bowl where you've made the dressing and toss it all together with the green beans.

This is even better the next day! Another benefit - its not mayo-based, so it can be in the sun at a picnic with no food poisoning worries whatsoever.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Well, I've just too a peek at the list of foods people are bringing to the BBQ.

Here's a sneek peek as of right now:

Hummus and pita bread
Spinich dip and bread
salsa and chips
fruits, yogourt dip and chocolate fondue
a green salad ( I think , I'll sneak my dressing in my purse, hoping they didn't mix theirs in prior)
marinated chicken breast

So my plan is the following:
-fill my plate with the green salad,
-add a piece of chicken for the protein on top of the salad
-as for appetizer, take 1 piece of pita bread and a blob of hummus
-for dessert concentrate on the fruits and yogourt

-Instead of sitting at, or close to, the table where all the chips and breads are, I'll pick a chair away from the table (being conscious of people seeing me get up each time I want to "cheat" will help me stay put)
- I will leave the table as soon as I am done to play with the host's dog (I'm a total dog lover) and keeping the dog distracted will push me to move my body a little.
- I'll take some of my salad dressing instead of using a high calorie one
-I'll make sure I have my water bottle with me.

What do you guys think ? Does it sound like a easy to stick to plan?

I realy want to make my plan a life long one, not one of those temp diets. Since I have PCOS, I need to always make the right choice otherwise my weight will soar up and down constently.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #10  
No description available.

Sounds like brilliant, well-thought-out, very-doable choices!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #11  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

It sounds sensible to me, especially when you take the long view to eating right, I think it's important not to ban appetizers and desserts, but find a way to incorporate them into your plans healthfully. I don't know, is this just a sit and talk and eat affair? Otherwise, you could take a frizbee or something along- I'm rather horrible at it, but I still think they are a lot of fun. (At the least, the dog might enjoy it!)

In either case, I hope you have a great time! It's nice to work someplace where people like each other enough to spend time together when they don't have to!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

FRUIT SALAD!!!!!

Fresh & canned fruits, in a bowl, in bite sized pieces. It's delicious, nutritious & refreshing.
  • Watermelon, chunked up
  • strawberries, halved
  • maraschino cherries, rinsed 2-3 times w/water in a colander to get all the sugar off
  • DOLE canned pineapple chunks, canned in its own juice
  • mandarin oranges, rinsed once w/water in a colander to remove excess syrup
  • kiwifruit, skinned & sliced
  • honeydew melon, chunked up
  • pomegranate seeds, when they're in season
  • your choice of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or a combination thereof to sprinkle over the top. (these can be frozen, it keeps the salad cool)

This salad doesn't need a dressing. Just put everything into a bowl & toss. The cherries are jarred in wayyyy too much sugar, but rinsing them real good helps; same with the oranges, but don't rinse the oranges more than once, it removes ALL the flavor & you'll have waterlogged oranges.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote