Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Weight loss and Zoloft

My older sister insists that it is very difficult to lose weight if you are on this antidepressant, but I have not found anything on the internet last I looked to back this up. Alot of stuff I saw said people were losing weight on the drug. I went on it two years ago for horrible, horrible pms symptoms and it has been a lifesaver. Does anyone have any experience with zoloft and losing weight?
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #2  
Big Ol' loser

Zoloft is used to quit smoking right?- It is supposed to help with cravings and stuff.
Sorry that is wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is really good and does help with weight loss. Not like a diet pill or anything, just helps in general. Makes you thirsty so you drink more water and you don't 'crave'. Its an antidepressant. I loved it when I was on it but after about 6 weeks I'd get intensely raging. I'd get so angry that I'd go shut myself in a room to get away from dh and kids so I could catch my breath. My sister was on it and it would work at first then she'd get the same way.
sorry this isn't about zoloft. I just did a search on google.com. I searched "Zoloft Weight Gain" 3rd article down says many people gain weight and there is lots of information.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Lake,

There is another forum on here called "Depression and Weight Issues" - you may find more posters with answers there There is a lot of talk about different drugs there, and which works for what... Good luck!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lake,

I don't believe any medication can prevent you from losing weight if you are able to maintain your weight. There are certain medications that will promote weight gain without doing anything differently. Currently, I'm on a BCP that supposedly promotes weight gain. It has taken a few weeks of me eating right and exercising to finally see some weight loss and inch loss, but it is finally starting to happen. I don't know about Zoloft in particular but maybe it promotes weight gain but you can lose that with diet and exercise. If you are really concerned, you can also talk to your doctor.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #5  
No description available.

THe Mirena IUD works really well for women with PMS and PMDD...It supresses your cycle, and thus the mood alterations. This type of use is one of its latest indications.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but....in my practice when women's depression symptoms are alleviated, they often feel better and have more energy, and thus exercise more.

HTH,
midwife
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Some antidepressants are prescribed for compulsive eating, which should ideally help to lose weight.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #7  

Antidepressants in general can either help with weight loss or help with weight gain. Certainly, in the hospital, we do not want to put an obese person on an antidepressant that will help weight gain, just was we would not put a thin, frail person on an antidepressant that helps with weight loss.

Zoloft (generic name: sertraline): selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor; a common side effect is ANOREXIA (among other GI problems), one of the recommended nursing interventions with this drug is to monitor pt's weight weekly because of decreased appetite. Source: 2005 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference

Just as a side note: Meridia (an appetite suppressant) is also a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor - you should note some of the similar effects as Meridia, such as dry mouth, headaches, and insomnia
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #8  
Losin' it forever!

Thanks, ya'll! I also checked out the prescription drug forum and it seems that side effects vary from person to person. I'll just have to work to prove my sister wrong!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #9  

Zoloft is an antidepressant. I was on it for about 3 weeks, gained 10 lbs., was nauseated and slept most of the time. I threw it out and never have taken anything again. I have heard of it helping some but for me it was one of the worst experiences I had. Plus what made me think was-a 'doctor' prescribed it after a first time, one hour visit. No tests, nothing. Just sit and talk for one hour and here is a presciption for a chemical imbalance. Period. It made me think after 3 weeks on how could he tell that I had a chemical imbalance after meeting me and talking for a bit. Wow he must have been a good one to be able to diagnose something like that by just looking at a person. I now question anything and everything!

Lill/Elva
Lill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #10  

Default Zoloft bah humbug!!!!

hi all.... I went on Zoloft because of Anxiety... it worked ok... but I gained about 50 lbs.... aughhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I am now trying to lose the weight.... I changed meds by the way ... I am on Effexor now.... my dosage is much less and I feel good.... but the weight is not coming off easily... I have lost 8.6 lbs... thru WW... anyone else having problems losing because of meds? I have gone thru the worst time of my life (DIVORCE) and survived.... I would love to be part of a group or get a buddy.... anyone out there who can relate? anncharlie
anncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #11  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I was on Zoloft and it worked wonders for me. The depression lifted and I was able to lose weight because I now had the energy to get up and go whereas before everything felt like an effort.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

Just like any other medication - the effects (and side effects) will be different (sometimes wildly so) between people with drugs, and there probably isn't a place where it is more pronounced than with psychotropic medications. I've taken over 42 different psych meds (I'm hard to medicate!) and some of them make me so hungry I just can't stand it, so I'm eating ALL the time, and of course I gain weight. Otherse suppress my appetite so severely that I drop 30 pounds just because I stop eating. Zoloft is one of the first medications doctors like to prescribe because it tends to do the most good for the most people. (I couldn't take it because it made me shake!) A bad med can be a nightmare, but a good med can be a godsend...so if its something you feel like you could benefit from, try it. Going on a medication like that isn't a permanent thing...if it doesn't work, or you get too many negative side effects for it to be worth it, tell your doctor and try something else. Good luck!
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote