Old 03-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Move your butt for Charity

Ok, here's my semi-annual plug for moving your butt for a good cause.

Sometimes it is hard to move you butt and get out there. However, signing up for a 5K race is a great way to get started. Why? You're no longer working for your own good but for the greater good and this can provide great motivation. By raising money, you're also raising awareness of your own fitness goals, "I couldn't possibly have more cake, I'm training for the big race." (much better excuse than watching your weight). Also, having a specific goal in mind (the race) is essential to moving your training past the comfort level (strolling) that you're used to!

Ok, so as a beginner, what are some good races?

1. March of Dimes charity walk. These are usually a good distance (like 3-5 miles) and are a walk (not run). You won't feel like the slowest person in the pack.

2. Humane Society or shelter walks. These are usually a 5K "fun run" which means it's not competitive and you can bring your doggie friend.

As you advance, you can consider different races:

1. Being part of a relay team for a triathlon. Say you much prefer biking to running, you can create a team with other members who like to do the other areas of the tri. Danskins triathlons are fantastic all-women events.

2. Prepare for a running 5K. Pick a good cause and start planning for the event. Make sure it's going to inspire you and tell all your friends.

My first charitity event this year is March of Dimes. The response has been great. You can check out my thoughts on preparing for the event in my blog.

Good luck and let me know what events YOU are participarting in?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #2  

I've gone the whole hog and am doing two 10 ks!!! OMG

But it's keeping me motivated and focussed on training, and doing something to help good causes, the Marie Curie Cancer Trust and Help a London Child.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

This is a wonderful idea. I love it! I don't know if there are any walks near me, but I'm certainly going to start looking for one. End of May would be perfect! Um, perfect to do the walk, not to start looking! hehe
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Every year until there's a cure, baby!

http://www.pkdcure.org/site/PageServ...kdwlk_homepage

Last year I raised $750!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #5  
One pound at a time...

Jessica, you hit the nail right on the head. Every year I do the walk for the Toronto Humane Society, and it really is a lot of fun when you are doing it for someone else. You also feel fabulous once you have completed it.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

SPF - Wow, I had no idea they even did a race for PKD! That's so neat! I set my goal to $100 for March fo Dimes and I hit it within an HOUR of asking for money. So I bumped it up to $200, a couple hours later, I hit that. Finally I bumped it to $400. Luckily, I haven't hit that yet.

Kykaree - You are a BRAVE woman. Let me know how it works out for you.

Lena - There's got to be a walk out there for you! Keep me posted!

Carol - Awww, I love walking for the puppies. It's just hard not to take home an additional puppy while I'm there!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Jessica, you really inspired me. For years, I had thought of doing a walk of some sort, but never really got around to it. This year, because of you, it will be different. Almost immediately after reading your post, I started doing research to see what I can do.

In keeping with the Food Theme, I've decided to walk for America's Second Harvest. The sign up isn't for a while yet, but I've bookmarked the site and marked the sign up date in my calendar.

As of now, I'm now considering myself "in training" and will soon start figuring out what steps I need to do to cover the financial part of this plan (ie how do I get pledges, etc).

Thank you, Jessica, for inspiring me to do this!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #8  
Will work for yarn!

I'm doing my very first 5K run in April. It's not a charity run, but it's a stepping point to doing the charity runs this fall!!!

A few years ago I walked the "Walk for Hope" for Breast Cancer research. This year I plan on running it.
myholidayboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #9  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

I haven't run in years, but I did cross country in high school a long time ago. My boyfriend and I are doing an 8k this weekend. The profits go to the Special Olympics. Wish me luck!

I'd love to run a marathon once, just once, in my lifetime!!
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

That's precisely what I thought... so I am!!!

I started off with mainly charity races last year, and it was a great inspiration. Now I tend to do a mix of charity and non-charity runs (I feel bad about constantly asking for sponsorship), but it's still a great way to stay motivated and on-track.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/268/130

Height: 5' 2"

I am doing the Anne Arundel County (Maryland) SPCA Walk for the Animals on April 30th. One of my dogs "Fat Chance" will be walking with me. We are now both in training. See my avatar for a pic of the two of us taken last night at his obedience graduation! I'm such a proud Mom!

- Liz
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

He's so sweet!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

In April I'll be participating in the Ontario Brain Tumour Foundation 5KM walk in Toronto and my law firm will match all donations received! This is a cause near and dear to me because my very dear G is a survivor
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote