Old 02-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #1  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Default Does anyone else go through this?

I don't know about you guys, but it seems whenever I eat breakfast, I get this overwhelming sense of fatigue, no matter what it is I eat. Just eating that early in the morning makes me want to crawl right back in bed for a "nap", which I always succumb to. This doesn't happen with any other meal but breakfast. I work nights so when I do get up in the morning it's about 10, and my first meal, if I do eat, would fall between then and 12ish. That's the time the fatigue kicks in hardcore. I have a very stressfuljob working in the emergency department, and I'm constantly on my feet walking from patient to patient getting information. I thought this was the reason for a while, but this was going on even during the period of when I graduated from high school and got my first job which lasted about a year. Anyone go through this?
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #2  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I can't offer any advice here. I tend to not eat until 12-1. Breakfast is problem enough for me... Hope you get some answers.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Maybe you are just really tired? (Although you mention that it also happened before your job.) If you work nights, what time do you get off? I know when my DH was on night shift at the ER it was from 10pm-7am. So getting up at 10am would have been really hard for him. I think shift work is just plain hard on our bodies. I know when I was a teenager I couldn't eat anything before 11 or so because it made me nauseated. I don't know what changed? I think being pregnant and having to get something in my stomach right away in the morning. Hope you get some soultions. Maybe you could try drinking a shake?
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Maybe it's not when you're eating, but what you're eating... Just throwing out a possiblilty. Could it be quantity (too much food, diverting all your energy to digestion)? Maybe just nibbling at something for an hour rather than having a full-blown meal might help?

Maybe the food itself doesn't agree with you? I've heard milk/dairy can have a sedative-like effect in some people.

What are you having for breakfast?
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #5  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Oh yea !!

Except that I wake up hungry EVERY DAY .. no matter what time I went to bed or what time I wake up - no matter what I ate or didn't eat the night before .. EVERY morning.

Every time I eat I get "sleepy" ...
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Breakfast usually wakes me up, so I can't be of any help here. I know taking my vitamins in the morning peps me up, too!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #7  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas
Maybe you are just really tired? (Although you mention that it also happened before your job.) If you work nights, what time do you get off? I know when my DH was on night shift at the ER it was from 10pm-7am. So getting up at 10am would have been really hard for him. I think shift work is just plain hard on our bodies. I know when I was a teenager I couldn't eat anything before 11 or so because it made me nauseated. I don't know what changed? I think being pregnant and having to get something in my stomach right away in the morning. Hope you get some soultions. Maybe you could try drinking a shake?
I work from 4p-12a Monday through Friday. I get home at about 12:30ish(now), and I pretty much wake up naturally between 9-10. Yeah, when I was in my teens, (I'm 21 now), I got morning nausea EVERY morning before school. That's one reason I got used to not eating breakfast because of that feeling. I never got that checked out though. Anyway, now that I do try to eat something, I just get this complete loss of energy and I want sleep. Earlier this week I drank a Zone shake for breakfast with some grapes, and the same thing happened--except after I woke up I got really nauseous and threw up. Now I feel like if I don't want a loss of energy in the morning, just skip the breakfast. I should get around to scheduling a physical...
Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #8  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
Maybe it's not when you're eating, but what you're eating... Just throwing out a possiblilty. Could it be quantity (too much food, diverting all your energy to digestion)? Maybe just nibbling at something for an hour rather than having a full-blown meal might help?

Maybe the food itself doesn't agree with you? I've heard milk/dairy can have a sedative-like effect in some people.

What are you having for breakfast?
Well, I won't lie and admit that a lot of the times it IS a heavy meal (bread/bagels with eggs, cheese, various things on different days), but sometimes I could just eat a bowl of cereal and still feel that way. I tried earlier this week to drink a shake and eat TWO grapes, and it still came on. I think I'm stuck in toddler days where as now I'm used to now taking a nap at that time that I HAVE to go nappy-bye

I'll try nibbling though.. we'll see where that gets me. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #9  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettDrawl
I can't offer any advice here. I tend to not eat until 12-1. Breakfast is problem enough for me... Hope you get some answers.
Thanks for atleast reading it anyway!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #10  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs SmartyPants
Oh yea !!

Except that I wake up hungry EVERY DAY .. no matter what time I went to bed or what time I wake up - no matter what I ate or didn't eat the night before .. EVERY morning.

Every time I eat I get "sleepy" ...
I asked my sister about it and she simply referred to it as one thing... we'll just say she thinks we just have "the itis". That's a shortened way of putting it You might know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I see you're in Newark. I work in that area at Clara Maass. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 AM   #11  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar
Breakfast usually wakes me up, so I can't be of any help here. I know taking my vitamins in the morning peps me up, too!
Maybe I'll try to actually take some vitamins. I'm bad at taking pills habitually. I do it maybe 2-3 days then stop for no reason.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #12  

Have you been checked out by a doctor? Could be tired for any number of medical reasons.... If you haven't, you should go soon. Some of those symptoms could be things that need to be treated... good luck.
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

I can not offer a lot of advice, except speak to my own experience. Years ago, when I was working evenings, I found I was completely turned around in terms of my eating. For me what worked was going with the lighter meals, but filling at the same time. For example meals very high in fibre. That got me going, and then I would have a larger meal later in the day. In reference to the fatique, it could be, one the lack of sunlight, as well as maybe the lack of iron. Definately speak to your doctor and they can run test to confirm. Unfortunately for me, I am not built for night work, and it really took a toll on my body.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #14  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Girl - I am SOOOO familiar with "the itis" as my DH (darling husband) refers to it :P

I actually live near the airport / ikea / jersey gardens mall
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #15  
Downsizing Dee!

Sorry, I can't be of any help either. First when I joined this group I never ate breakfast. I've been eating breakfast every morning now for the last 7-8 months and I've never felt better.

Carol mentioned iron. I know my sister has an iron deficiency and always heads back to bed in the am to catch a few more winks.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote