Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles78
I don't claim to be an expert, but for me - it came down to "throwing the switch". I finally hit a point where it became no longer acceptable to me to be obese. Once I knew that - the next thing I had to have was belief that I had the power to change. I had to become internally focused so that I took accountability and responsibility for my actions and behavior as it related to food. I also had to ditch all of the old black and white thinking. Eating off plan one meal does not mean you are a failure, fat slob and about to gain all your weight back. It means you are a human that can make mistakes. You made a poor choice. Own up to it - learn from it, come up with 5 ways to avoid it next time and move on. Keep going - every time you put something in your mouth to eat is a chance to make a good choice. Don't wait to get back on track the next day, the next week whatever - get back with your next choice.

It is also important to apply the same philosophy to exercise. Just do it - get consistent. If you miss - learn from it and work to make sure you build good habits and behaviors to replace the old ones. Many people have said it - it is a process - one that can take a lifetime to complete - but the journey is the reward.
I think I know what you mean. I'd tried to lose weight before, but this summer I feel like the "switch" was thrown -- I decided I couldn't be fat anymore. But it took a little while for me to believe I could change. Even today I'm not sure I believe I can keep it off, but I think I'm going to have to believe it to make it permanant, so I'm still strugging with that way of thinking. And to get there, I will really, truly have to learn how to FALL and how to GET UP again. I've been petrified of falling in the first place, but I'm going to have to risk it to make this happen. Does that make sense?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
I think I know what you mean. I'd tried to lose weight before, but this summer I feel like the "switch" was thrown -- I decided I couldn't be fat anymore. But it took a little while for me to believe I could change. Even today I'm not sure I believe I can keep it off, but I think I'm going to have to believe it to make it permanant, so I'm still strugging with that way of thinking. And to get there, I will really, truly have to learn how to FALL and how to GET UP again. I've been petrified of falling in the first place, but I'm going to have to risk it to make this happen. Does that make sense?
That makes perfect sense to me. I know just what you mean. I used to be terrified of eating off plan. I try my very best to eat every meal in such a way that it helps me reach my goal - but I had to learn how to "get back up" - just as much so in the exercise area. Missing a day just means I missed a day - I can make it up on one of my off days and get right back on track. It is never too late to get started.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #18  
One pound at a time...

Really good thread guys, even though I am a little late, I thougt I would add to the conversation. A lot of what has been posted I could really indentify with. For me I can definately trace things back to my childhood. My mom always equated love with food, and food had a very large role in our lives growing up. Sunday dinners were always the highlight of the week and there was no such thing as portion control and you better clean your plate. I was blessed to being an active child so I could easily dropped the "winter weight" over the summer, but as I grew older, it became more and more difficult to do that. It was only as an adult that the "click" occurred for me, ans I indentified with the pattern and I am learning to try and stop it. I am still battling it today. I am emotional eater, but the "NO" is starting to be heard. For me it will always be a battle. For me it re learning behaviours that other people find completely natural.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote