Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #16  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm with Mousie and Goals. My biggest change this time around is to focus on the long-term and really fight the discouragement I get when I don't lose "fast enough" or "consistently enough." EVERY other time I've done this, I've been "good" for a few months, seen some easy loses, and given up when it got hard.

My struggle now is to trust my body -- this wonderous lump of flesh that I both love and loathe, that I've always considered an enemy. It is not. It is doing as God designed it to do. And if I were in a famine situation, I'd probably be one of the fortunate ones who could survive on very little. But in this abundance of food around us, my body has MORE than enough to live off of and then some. That's how I got so heavy. So, logically, if I am more careful about my portions and the types of foods I choose to eat and exercise more, slowly but surely my body WILL DO what it's supposed to do and burn the excess as fuel.

It's the "slowly but surely" that I struggle with. One pound a week is my goal. It's discouraging to see people losing more than that, more consistently than I am. But over time, it's working. One pound a week is over 50 pounds lost in a year. So I look ahead to next year, rather than just next week. Next week, I may have water gain. Next week, I may have gained from a few poor choices, or a glass of wine that makes me swell, or TOM, or the fact that it's a full moon. Who knows what the scale takes into consideration?

But next year, there will be 50 pounds gone, based on the choices I make today. Looking at it as a long-term journey, where each step leads to the next waystation, has really helped me keep going this time.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I have always been an athlete, so exercise was never a problem. My biggest realization is that I am more aware of my food choices. I can survive on small portions and still enjoy food. I have the attitude of eating mindfully to fuel my body ranther than mindlessly eat a bunch of junk.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I gave up regular pop and switched to diet would be a big one. I no longer miss it. Water was never an issue with me. Some days I may drink over a gallon while others I may have 1 small glass.

I agree that exercise would be a big change to help keep you on track. I'm hoping to get it back to being where I have to have it or my day isn't complete real soon.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #19  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunKristin
To reach your weight loss goal? My doctor suggested when I got pregnant with my second child that I only drink water. She said that it will help a lot in cutting calories and that she prefers to eat her calories rather than drinking them.
This makes perfectly good sense! I'm going to incorporate this goal for a week.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #20  

I think the biggest change for me is that I only eat food I know I will really and truly enjoy -- and that means if it is a food that will give me a headache or belly ache (like most restaurant food), I don't eat it. If the taste is only mediochre, like most chain restaurant food, I don't eat it. This has helped me avoid mindless eating.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #21  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
I think the biggest change for me is that I only eat food I know I will really and truly enjoy -- and that means if it is a food that will give me a headache or belly ache (like most restaurant food), I don't eat it. If the taste is only mediochre, like most chain restaurant food, I don't eat it. This has helped me avoid mindless eating.
This has helped me too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 PM   #22  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
I gave up regular pop and switched to diet would be a big one. I no longer miss it.

I agree with you. I gave up regular soda at the beginning of the year and I don't really miss it. A couple of times I tried to drink a regular Coke and boy did it not taste good to me. Through trying some different diet sodas, I have found that there a few different ones that I like so I don't have to be bored drinking just one diet soda. I usually only have 1 diet soda a week. I would say that's a good thing for me considering I used to drink atleast 2 regular sodas in a day.

Last edited by AnnieFannie; 11-15-2005 at 01:19 PM.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote