Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #16  

Well my power went out for a day and some power lines are down around here, but nothing worse than that. I feel bad for all the people further south.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #17  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillegal
The storm may be over, but the devastation it left makes this a long-term event. It could happen to any of us ~ let's help in the same manner we'd want people to help us.

American Red Cross, 800-HELP NOW (435-7669)

Canadian Red Cross, www.redcross.ca. Tel: (613) 740-1900

Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.
Excellent, Jill!! You beat me to it! I had information in hand, all ready to post it here. (Although I'd forgotten to get the Canadian info. ) You rock!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:38 PM   #18  

I have to say, I'm simply appalled by the images I've seen in the news. It's heart wrenching really, and I'm at a loss for words. My heart goes out to anyone affected by this devastating disaster. My thoughts are with you all.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #19  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I just turned the news on for a little bit. It's terrible.. just terrible there. My sister lives in Dallas - one of her employees is driving there (new orleans) to pick up relatives - they are going to live at my sister's house for a while. I'm proud of her for helping out.
These people have nothing. It really is heart breaking.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #20  
Crazy Canuck

I was told by the Red Cross that if you're unable to make a monetary donation, there's a dire need for the following:

Every little bit helps...and boy do these people need help!

Last edited by Jillegal; 08-31-2005 at 07:16 PM.
          Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 08-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the links and info, Jill.

We're thinking of you all...
          djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #22  

I am in Mississippi and, let me tell you, this has been heartwrenching. We have been in a bubble since the storm hit - no power, no cable, no internet access. I have no complaints as I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and a safe family. Still, this has absolutley changed how we live. The grocery stores are bare, gas is nearly impossible to get and the prices are soaring by the second. Our neighborhood gathered all of our leftover supplies, clothing, etc. and delivered it to some of the shelters. It is all very heartbreaking and even more frustrating because, at this point, there isn't a whole lot anyone can do. Thankfully, we aren't anywhere near experiencing what New Orleans is but the worst has been brought out in a lot of people for sure. The uncertainty of it all is unnerving to say the least. But, again, I am just grateful that my family is relatively unscathed. My heart goes out to those on the Coast who have lost everything.
          lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #23  

Height: 5'4"

There are 2 places (that I know of) that are acting as clearinghouses to connect people who need temp housing to people that have extra room www.katrinahousing.org & www.hurricanehousing.org.
          JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #24  
          undeniably moby

I have no words for this. I just keep watching the news and reading the reports and seeing it all get worse and worse, and I can't seem to stop crying.

My heart goes out to everyone there, to everyone who has family there. I feel so powerless, sitting here in California, wanting to do something. We're sending clothes and baby supplies, and the company I work with is awesome and doing a ton. I just wish there was more, you know?
          satylite is offline   Reply With Quote