Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Smile Let's take a chance!

So I ventured out today, thinking that 10 km's isn't that far. Wow, I was SOOO WRONG! My brother and his gf came down for the weekend, and for the Vancouver Sun Run, which we did today. I of course, did no training what-so-ever. It was quite the little journey, very humbling at that. I started at a decent pace, 10minutes/km, my shins were aching, it felt like someone was stabbing them with a knife or something sharp. I just kept on going (50,000 people, I didn't dare try and stop in that crowd!). I made it though! Had a little panic attack somewhere along the way, felt like I couldn't breath, so I telephoned my mom (she kinda did 1km with me!).. she talked me through it. And when I crossed that finish line, I started to cry.. it felt like quite the accomplishment.

The lesson I learnt today is that it's important to push ourselves (maybe not to my extent), and take chances, otherwise we'll never know what we can accomplish. Take a risk, any risk! It'll feel good

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #2  

LOL, I can totally understand. Yesterday I joined 600 others in a charity walk for MS. It was 5 miles round trip. When I got to the half way point, I kinda just sat there stunned. That was only 2.5 miles?! It was so funny. They had golf carts driving up and down the path for people who couldnt make it. They had bathroom stops every 3/4 of a mile or so. Tons of water and fruit. It was very well thought out. When I crossed that finish line, there were these skinny little blonde cheerleaders handing out medals saying "you made it." I was sunburned and ready to collapse but I tried my hardest to smile and wheeze out "thanks!" It was great! So only doing 5 miles at a pathetic attempt at a brisk pace, I am in awe of your accomplishment (and you were running?!). Great job!!!
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thank you for sharing that Aimee! Good for you for finishing. I'm proud of you! It's great you can call your mom for a pick-me-up, too.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #4  

I'm also in awe-10k! We just did a 2 miler and that was comfortable for me. But it was the first EVER benefit walk we've done. It does make you think about what you want to accomplish next. It was funny b/c we didn't have cheer leaders at the end, but we had little girl scouts along the way handing out water bottles. Any other time, everyone's running from girl scouts selling those cookies, but people were flocked to them for the water-lol. They handed out daisies at the end to place at a memorial wall and I was just thankful that I wasn't "pushing up daisies" at the end of the race! lol. KUDOS FOR YOU! Inspirational!
rubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #5  
2006 - Panda Remix

I agree, good for you Aimee - I know that I couldn't run 2km, let alone 10km! You are absolutely right, that pushing ourselves out of our 'comfort zone' once in a while is really good for our well being.

I'm terrible for getting stuck in a rut out of fear of the unknown,or fear of looking stupid, but one way I push myself out of that zone every day is when I get into my swimming costume and go swimming - it is not easy as a 250lb woman (267lb when I first started) to parade my fat around the public pool - I know many a 150lb woman who couldn't do it! But I do it because I love to swim and I know it is going to significantly help me to lose weight

Welldone for sticking with it and not giving in to your panic attack - you should feel very proud of yourself!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

WTG Aimee. That is so awesome. I hope to attempt a 5k run in October. I need to get out more and start at least jogging.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

It's great hearing all of your stories I didn't run the whole 10km's, most definitely not, I decided to do it 1 week before, and was so busy in the week I didn't train. I ran part of it, but mostly walked. As some of you know, I don't exercise, so this was the most significant exercise I've done in the past month or so.. I'm feeling a little tight in the butt region. But I've got my free t-shirt!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good for you Aimee. That's great that you set your mind to it and did it.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #9  
missaprylj

Yes, congratulations!

Congratulations all of you. Well done!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl
The lesson I learnt today is that it's important to push ourselves (maybe not to my extent), and take chances, otherwise we'll never know what we can accomplish. Take a risk, any risk! It'll feel good
-Aimee
you said it! Starting exercise was tough for me! And then increasing it, forget about it! Took me time, and I did have to push myself. I'll really proud of you doing that 10K, awesome (and everyone else for their walks).
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:07 AM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations!! We knew ya could!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote